User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,761
tuneECU has advantages

I don't have experience with KTM, but I used tuneECU on my Triumph. The cable is about $20, and that's your total expense. I couldn't understand the instructions, either, but a computer-literate friend and I watched the YouTube video twice and it the remap was a success. And, I could re-install the stock setting without paying someone else. There are custom tunes and with the Triumph, I could make a custom map if I wanted.

e
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
I don't have experience with KTM, but I used tuneECU on my Triumph. The cable is about $20, and that's your total expense. I couldn't understand the instructions, either, but a computer-literate friend and I watched the YouTube video twice and it the remap was a success. And, I could re-install the stock setting without paying someone else. There are custom tunes and with the Triumph, I could make a custom map if I wanted.

e

I guess that's technically true... but without diagnostic analysis how do you know what to change, and how much to change it? Sure, I could plug in any values I want for free, but knowing what to want seems to be the trick. And the results would be entirely subjective, just what "feels" right, not what actually is.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that... I've yet to try TuneECU myself, trying to research first.

It might be worth a try since it isn't expensive. On the TuneECU site I don't see a user generated map for my bikes parameters ('07, 2-into-1, FMF, de-canni, de-SAS).
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,761
check tuneECU website

TuneECU had maps for my bike that worked for different modifications. The ability to customize the map is there, but for the reasons you stated, viola-tor, I chose not to. The Triumphs had owner-supplied custom maps with the caveat to use at your own risk. The ability to return to stock was a big plus to me. Watch their YouTube video.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,374
So pick a few tunes and try them. If you are coming from a carb jetting background, this sounds like torture; with carbs you always want to have a pretty good idea of where you're headed before you start pulling stuff off the bike, but that's simply not an issue with TuneEcu.

It's amazing how hard it is mentally to get past the apparent complexity and realize that this is far, far, easier than rejetting carbs. Approach it in a methodical, careful manner, and make small changes, one at a time--or just try someone else's map. As long as you've saved--and backed up--your stock map, you can always get home again. No ruby slippers are required. It's not a matter of spending an hour pulling bodywork, etc to make tiny changes in jetting; plug it in and go for a test ride. You can handle rhythm and melody, point and counterpoint, you can get your head around this. It's a language a lot like music is a language. Fueling is the melody, timing the rhythm--go write a concert and smile every time you hear it played...

It's the best excuse I've had for a long time to just go for a ride--"Honey, I've gotta go test sumthin, be back in a bit...."

It's SO cheap and SO easy that you really do owe it to yourself to try it. Even if you hate it, the experience will help you give valuable guidance to whoever you eventually DO have tune the bike, and that's worth the price of the cable all by itself.

As for TuneEcu vs other approaches, due to the specific issues present in the 990s, the ability to adjust ignition timing is critical to successfully tuning the lurch out of the bike.

Last, I gotta tell ya that your big thread was the first 990 specific trip report I read here, and your adventures and experiences--and the way you tell them--is a big part of the reason I bought the best bike I've ever owned. Thanks for that. Lemme give you a little back: try TuneEcu. It's not as bad as it looks.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
So pick a few tunes and try them. If you are coming from a carb jetting background, this sounds like torture; with carbs you always want to have a pretty good idea of where you're headed before you start pulling stuff off the bike, but that's simply not an issue with TuneEcu.

It's amazing how hard it is mentally to get past the apparent complexity and realize that this is far, far, easier than rejetting carbs. Approach it in a methodical, careful manner, and make small changes, one at a time--or just try someone else's map. As long as you've saved--and backed up--your stock map, you can always get home again. No ruby slippers are required. It's not a matter of spending an hour pulling bodywork, etc to make tiny changes in jetting; plug it in and go for a test ride. You can handle rhythm and melody, point and counterpoint, you can get your head around this. It's a language a lot like music is a language. Fueling is the melody, timing the rhythm--go write a concert and smile every time you hear it played...

It's the best excuse I've had for a long time to just go for a ride--"Honey, I've gotta go test sumthin, be back in a bit...."

It's SO cheap and SO easy that you really do owe it to yourself to try it. Even if you hate it, the experience will help you give valuable guidance to whoever you eventually DO have tune the bike, and that's worth the price of the cable all by itself.

As for TuneEcu vs other approaches, due to the specific issues present in the 990s, the ability to adjust ignition timing is critical to successfully tuning the lurch out of the bike.

Last, I gotta tell ya that your big thread was the first 990 specific trip report I read here, and your adventures and experiences--and the way you tell them--is a big part of the reason I bought the best bike I've ever owned. Thanks for that. Lemme give you a little back: try TuneEcu. It's not as bad as it looks.

Steve
I was following the "got tunes" thread religiously untill it got too intelligent for me. I couldn't keep up with all that gyan anymore. But it ends now. I'm gonna get a cable, download TuneECU and start working on it myself. Small steps every time, record everything and play around with it.

thanks
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,374
Just to clarify, "small changes, one at a time" must still be applied to both cylinders, so it's actually "small changes, two at a time" for most things...

I'd start with secondary throttle openings or just turning the O2 sensors on an off just to see how it all works.

Keep saving your new maps and rename each time. Make double sure you have a backup to your backup of your starting point so you can always get back to the beginning and you will be just fine.

Remember too that you can play with the software and maps from the tuneecu site without having the cable....

Have fun!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 10:13 AM
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post

Steve

Thanks Steve! This is just the push I need I think. This week is slow for me, it's high time to get down into this software and learn to play it like a fiddle!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #23
trickster
Greek n00b

Oddometer: 24
I acknowledge the problem about the lack of tuners working on tuneECU here in Greece too. You are on your own as long as you go outside of the casual stuff, power commander etc..
I envy you americans that you don't have to cross an ocean to have someone to tune your bike.

That's the reason when anyone has something done to him by a professional should contribute with maps to the tuneECU cause.
trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
Send me a ticket. I'll pack up my laptop and cable and spend all winter in Greece tuning your bike. San Antonio TX doesn't sound too bad either.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #25
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Send me a ticket. I'll pack up my laptop and cable and spend all winter in Greece tuning your bike. San Antonio TX doesn't sound too bad either.
We could probably arrange that!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Hey Viola-tor,

Great thread, thanks for starting this one. I was actually about to do the same thing by taking my 990 to AF1 and getting a dyno tune, they told me the same thing and I'm not ready to drop $800 for the work right now (EDIT: that's for the new ECU + dyno time, I'm rounding up).

I am not too far from ya (in Austin), I have done the tune on mine I have the cable so your welcome to come up this way and you can try out some tunes, if it doesn't work out you can always go back to stock map, that's the beauty of TuneECU. I would love to get mine professionally done, but I can't afford it right now.

Just bring some beer
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Just thought I would pile onto this thread, I just purchased a PCV and AutoTune, I'm pretty stoked to get it installed. TuneECU has been great and the only reason I'm moving to the PCV is to get the autotune setup. I've had been running a map made by Wayne Tripp (the PowerTripp Acro 2-1 exhausts) and I've been happy with it, but I'd like to put on the CPR air intake system on the bike. To do that I would need to dyno tune it or just keep trying maps. The more research I did the more I like the concept of the AutoTune, I've heard it gets you pretty damn close to a custom map. I was actually going to gamble in the spring, put on the CPR and ride out to deals gap to Ken Wheeler (because I do that trip every spring anyway, love that part of the country) to have him put it on the dyno. My only trepidation with that plan is the gamble of getting out there, if I put on the CPR and it's eating gas and I'm only getting 25MPH (not that I've seen that reported after a CPR install, but all bikes are different) it's going to be a long ride. Anyway, I'm excited for trying out this combo on the bike and I'll report back how it works out, before and after the CPR install.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
Just thought I would pile onto this thread, I just purchased a PCV and AutoTune, I'm pretty stoked to get it installed. TuneECU has been great and the only reason I'm moving to the PCV is to get the autotune setup. I've had been running a map made by Wayne Tripp (the PowerTripp Acro 2-1 exhausts) and I've been happy with it, but I'd like to put on the CPR air intake system on the bike. To do that I would need to dyno tune it or just keep trying maps. The more research I did the more I like the concept of the AutoTune, I've heard it gets you pretty damn close to a custom map. I was actually going to gamble in the spring, put on the CPR and ride out to deals gap to Ken Wheeler (because I do that trip every spring anyway, love that part of the country) to have him put it on the dyno. My only trepidation with that plan is the gamble of getting out there, if I put on the CPR and it's eating gas and I'm only getting 25MPH (not that I've seen that reported after a CPR install, but all bikes are different) it's going to be a long ride. Anyway, I'm excited for trying out this combo on the bike and I'll report back how it works out, before and after the CPR install.
Note: that the autotune doesn't works good on low rpm's according some people on the ktm smt forum, but they found some kind of workaround.
So i suggest to look there how to in the pcv topic.

But you do not know which afr is the best for the most power with this way of working without a dyno.

Mine personal opinion, i see it as a nice tool to maintain the optimal afr for the most power under all conditions.
Build a map on the dyno for the most power and put the tuned afr values in the autotune so it can maintain these values
Under all conditions (excluded the low rpm's).
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
JTXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
TuneECu Dyno Tuner in the Northwest

There is a dyno tuner near Seattle WA that uses TuneECU and has worked on tuning KTMs. I have never used his services but I know one inmate here that had his 2007 990 Adventure tuned by him and he was happy with the results although he never said what kind of mileage he was getting with the new tune. It is $175 for a dyno tune and It might be worth a call to find out more.

http://2wheeldynoworks.wordpress.com/ktm/

Nels Byersdorf
2 Wheel DynoWorks Owner
425-269-5332
2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com
JTXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
I just emailed Nels at 2wheeldynoworks and asked for his Northern California schedule as his 2013 calendar is not updated yet.

I'm looking for an experienced KTM 990 Adventure tuner using Tune ECU and looks like Nels is the one. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe group tune at Laguna Seca?? KJ

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 03:03 PM Reason: baad speler
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote