Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #286
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Out of curiosity, why the Nuvi/Montana combo? Did you just not buy City Nav for the Montana?
And - what are your thoughts on Montana? I was looking at the 62 but....
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #287
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
And - what are your thoughts on Montana? I was looking at the 62 but....
There are many advantages to the Montana but perhaps the biggest is the power source. The Montana is not dependent on that damned mini USB connector. I have both the Montana and the 62 and there's no comparison.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #288
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why the Nuvi/Montana combo? Did you just not buy City Nav for the Montana?

I have been using the Garmin Nuvi 500 for years and was doing a side by side to see how they compared. The Nuvi is still the better street GPS and if all I want is a track to find my way out of the woods I still really like it.

I bought the Garmin Montana 600 specifically for building tracks I could share with others and routes for the training school I work for (www.advcamp.com). The Montana does that great but is only marginal as a street GPS IMO. It really boils down to what you want to do with your GPS.

I really do like the Montana but prefer the USB powersource of the Nuvi. With the Montana requiring a dedicated dock I cannot move it bike to bike like I could the Nuvi.

The other issue I have with the Montana is it is over 4x the cost of the Nuvi 500 once you load maps into it and because of the Garmin specific power dock there are no options I know of the lock it onto the bike. With the Nuvi I didn't care cuz it was so cheap but I really don't want to the Montana snatched
Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #289
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Thanks for the info! I don't have a Nuvi or anything, so I'm going to get City Navigator for the Montana, and try and use that one unit for everything... I think it'll probably be good enough for what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpilot View Post
because of the Garmin specific power dock there are no options I know of the lock it onto the bike.
Are you using the Rugged AMPS mount? It's not a key lock, but it's locked with a security torx bit.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #290
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I really do like the Montana but prefer the USB powersource of the Nuvi. With the Montana requiring a dedicated dock I cannot move it bike to bike like I could the Nuvi.
The Garmin Rugged Mount is very easy to move from bike to bike if you solder a molded sae power plug to the power cable, and use a Ram mount to hold it on the bike. That's what I did until I bought my second mount.

This is on my DR650 but the setup is the same on my F800GS.

But the the mount is only about $40, so why not have one on each bike?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 07:58 PM
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #291
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Are you using the Rugged AMPS mount? It's not a key lock, but it's locked with a security torx bit.
I don't know of any mount other than the one offered by Garmin... They offer a car window mount, a car dash mount and the Motorcycle/ATV mount.

I have the window mount for my truck and the bike mount for the bike.

I am running city navigator and Topo 24k maps
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #292
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Mounted my zumo 550 on the TT desierto with a ball mount:

Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #293
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
I don't know of any mount other than the one offered by Garmin.
Spendy locking solution coming Montana's way via Touratech.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #294
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Spendy locking solution coming Montana's way via Touratech.
Wow, $180 and you still need to buy the Garmin "Rugged Mount"!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #295
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Here is my Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on my F800GS, with RAM mount. The camera angle is offset, and the GPS does not inhibit my view of the instrument cluster.

isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #296
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Did you see the newest one Spot has out now

Hey i was wondering can the orange one get me on Facebook so i can show my trip as i go and text in things. The orange one doesn't do that but they made all new one it all black it gives you I-phone the power to text and all the other things the orange one does. Im not sure if you have to pay a subscription. For me i have no phone i do have i touch and it also make my i touch able to connect in real time to Facebook text and position of where i am. But for now there is no mount for it. i was thinning about that for a while before they made this one. I don't ant a phone i m again it and i want to access Facebook which the orange one doesn't and keep thinking for that much money unless I'm in emergency what else it really good for. i contact my friends through Facebook not google i use google but nobody communicated through google they coommujint through twitter and Facebook. They need to stick that part on the orange one or make the new one mountable. i don't like the señor they have a girl unable to get phone single and she pulls out the new on its a box and puts it on her dash.. This is their main marking angle if you real phone doesn't get a connection this one will. hit better then the orange one it does the orange one and twitter and Facebook through you i-pod, or your real phone.Just need a motorcycle mount. Im not sure if you have to pay that subscription like you od the orange one. the orange one i can't use for Facebook so i never bought one. this fixed that problem,
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #297
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
Hey i was wondering can the orange one get me on Facebook so i can show my trip as i go and text in things. The orange one doesn't do that but they made all new one it all black it gives you I-phone the power to text and all the other things the orange one does. Im not sure if you have to pay a subscription. For me i have no phone i do have i touch and it also make my i touch able to connect in real time to Facebook text and position of where i am. But for now there is no mount for it. i was thinning about that for a while before they made this one. I don't ant a phone i m again it and i want to access Facebook which the orange one doesn't and keep thinking for that much money unless I'm in emergency what else it really good for. i contact my friends through Facebook not google i use google but nobody communicated through google they coommujint through twitter and Facebook. They need to stick that part on the orange one or make the new one mountable. i don't like the señor they have a girl unable to get phone single and she pulls out the new on its a box and puts it on her dash.. This is their main marking angle if you real phone doesn't get a connection this one will. hit better then the orange one it does the orange one and twitter and Facebook through you i-pod, or your real phone.Just need a motorcycle mount. Im not sure if you have to pay that subscription like you od the orange one. the orange one i can't use for Facebook so i never bought one. this fixed that problem,
You might want to see if someone on the Great Big Spot thread can understand what you're saying/asking. This is about F800gs and GPS.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #298
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
The Montana works good on my GS too. I love the mount and like Emmbeedee found ways to move it around, though I do have 2 mounts now also.
The rugged mount is very solid, when locked the GPS is pretty darn secure, if you're parking in an area where you're so worried that you think the TT will help, you should just take the GPS off the bike IMO. Either mount could be ripped off the bike by a determined thief. I just put my helmet on top to cover the GPS in my travels, always parking the bike right in front.

The home made bracket on top of an Otterbox works great and put the GPS in a perfect spot.

It's like the modern equivalent of a GPSMAP 276/478 with all the options (unlike the Zumo) , except with no limits on tracks points or number of tracks that can be loaded and displayed at one time, has a big touchscreen, etc.
I use City Nav map, but the Montana also has the ability to load Satellite Imagery that displays with City Nav, letting me see what's actually around me, and not just what's in the "map".
The Montana's ability to work with tracks is also far superior to other units, as mentioned already.

Couple of screen shots from the unit to demonstrate the satellite imagery, it's very useful feature for ADV riding.
On my recent CDT, TAT ride I had about 10 miles of high-def SI on either side of the tracks the whole way.... priceless to scout for campsites, optional trails, etc....

Here's how you get the satellite imagery, or TOPO maps in Bascamp, selecting the ares you want:

It's been a most useful tool for me while on long distance off road travel adventures, great for local area exploring also.
Here's the Garmin Montana thread in Layin' Down the Tracks for more info:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #299
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Thanks for the report! I'm totally sold on the Montana - I have an Oregon now which is great for hiking and navigation, but the screen was always too small and powering it in a car was a PITA.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #300
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
How long does it take to build a map like this one?? GH

GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote