User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #61
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Got Gaerne!
Arrived today, tried them on and they fit perfect. I'm an 11 and 11 EU46 fit perfect. Comfortable while walking around the house will be wearing them tomorrow, suppose to rain. Glad I waited for these. Thanks for your help Bp!
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #62
J.L. Poe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
thanks Brian

still wanting to know about how you guys are so fortunate
J.L. Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Poe View Post
thanks Brian

still wanting to know about how you guys are so fortunate
We are fortunate because I have been in this industry a long, line time, including 5 years living in Italy, working for a boot company, nearby all the other boot companies. I worked for the largest one, rode with the owner of another, and had dinner at the house of a 3rd. Doing that among competitors was a little hard to manage, but I pulled it off and made some great contacts.

Those experiences taught me a lot about how boots (and other gear) is made, how it works, and when they are worth getting. I absolutely love working with product, testing it, cutting it apart, etc.

In this case, we are part of the product design feedback loop for Gaerne, and have been discussing a new ADV boot with them for two years. We had the prototype from Italy for quite a while. Like all Gaerne boots, we like it, especially the quality and fit. There is a lot to discuss, so in the interest of saving time typing, if you are interested in it, PM me your name and phone #, and I will call you to discuss.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 07:03 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #64
J.L. Poe
Adventurer

Brian,

Thanks so much for your time you put forth in your reply.

It was refreshing, honest, and very helpful in me seeing what's important to you And your company

Very grateful, and yes I'll be in touch sir!

Joseph
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #65
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Hell, I reckon I need me a pair of these new fangled boots. If you can come off that price to say $200 I'll take a pair....size 91/2. Let me know when I should expect them.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #66
HayBailEY
Groovy

Oddometer: 32
Nerd alert:

I have the other brand adventure boot that squeek incessantly! Rides me up a wall. I've tried the silicone sprays and mink oils to no avail. Will these Midland boots help me with the following Shaolin task:

"When you can walk the rice paper without tearing it, then your steps will not be heard." -Master Kan
HayBailEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #67
J.L. Poe
Adventurer

Pm sent Brian
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #68
J.L. Poe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaRosa View Post
Got Gaerne!
Arrived today, tried them on and they fit perfect. I'm an 11 and 11 EU46 fit perfect. Comfortable while walking around the house will be wearing them tomorrow, suppose to rain. Glad I waited for these. Thanks for your help Bp!
Would love a ride report sir!

Specifically how they shift.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #69
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Informative thread. Break-in?

Great thread and very timely for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair of dual sport boots and these G-Midlands look like they will fill the role well.

Brian, have you had a chance to wear these much? I'm curious about the break-in period. I get the impression that these are similar in many ways to the Alpinestars Scout. You talk a lot about Gearne boots' comfort and relatively no break-in period, such as in the product descriptions for the Balance and G-Adventures on the Atomic site. Do the G-Midlands follow that trend? Just based on the pictures, they look like a more comfortable boot than the Scouts out of the box.

If you've had a chance to break in these boots, how are they for general walking and light hiking?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #70
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo21 View Post
Great thread and very timely for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair of dual sport boots and these G-Midlands look like they will fill the role well.

Brian, have you had a chance to wear these much? I'm curious about the break-in period. I get the impression that these are similar in many ways to the Alpinestars Scout. You talk a lot about Gearne boots' comfort and relatively no break-in period, such as in the product descriptions for the Balance and G-Adventures on the Atomic site. Do the G-Midlands follow that trend? Just based on the pictures, they look like a more comfortable boot than the Scouts out of the box.

If you've had a chance to break in these boots, how are they for general walking and light hiking?

Thanks.
Dave
They do not really require a break in period, and are usable out of the box. AFA fit and comfort, I feel they are more comfortable than the Scouts, the foot chamber fits well, they are easy to walk in (all day), and they have no width issues. I think they would work well for the bikes you have listed in your sig.

I will again reiterate that Gaerne's fit better, are more comfortable, to a greater %age of wearers than anything else out there.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #71
Midlife_Madness
Not too old, not too late

Oddometer: 27
what about hot weather?

I know these are new, so you don't have an answer by experience for this particular boot, but in general do the Gaerne boots allow your feet to get hot in the really warm summer months? I've read on other forums about Gaerne boots and how comfortable they are. So what's your experience been in mid-August?

Thanks!
Midlife_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #72
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 649
AtomicMoto,

I have been using a pair of Gortex Kevlar steel toe Urban Search and Rescue boots for my offroad boots and have been looking to replace these with a dual sport motorcycle oriented boot.

Just purchasing the Gaerne SG10 boot, I have not found myself to be comfortable with the lack of feedback from the ankle and toe box when braking and shifting.

Though the protection that the SG10 offers is very good, I am considering how much protection I am willing to trade for control.

With your experience with Gaerne's new Midland boot, how would it's protection level versus feedback level from the ankle and toe box compare with the SG10?
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #73
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife_Madness View Post
I know these are new, so you don't have an answer by experience for this particular boot, but in general do the Gaerne boots allow your feet to get hot in the really warm summer months? I've read on other forums about Gaerne boots and how comfortable they are. So what's your experience been in mid-August?

Thanks!
I get all the easy ones......

I have not tried these in mid August, but have used the Balance Oileds. IMO any waterproof boot is less "airy" than a non-wp boot. But answering your question in any sort of quantitative way is very, very difficult. I can perceive a difference from non-waterproof to waterproof boots, but I can't tell the difference amongst boots with WP liners, even on my Gore-Tex footwear.

My suggestion is, if warm weather comfort is a priority...choose a non-waterproof boot. There is a penalty for this in the rain, but for Spokane (which is like Bend) it may be a worthwhile trade.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #74
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
AtomicMoto,

I have been using a pair of Gortex Kevlar steel toe Urban Search and Rescue boots for my offroad boots and have been looking to replace these with a dual sport motorcycle oriented boot.

Just purchasing the Gaerne SG10 boot, I have not found myself to be comfortable with the lack of feedback from the ankle and toe box when braking and shifting.

Though the protection that the SG10 offers is very good, I am considering how much protection I am willing to trade for control.

With your experience with Gaerne's new Midland boot, how would it's protection level versus feedback level from the ankle and toe box compare with the SG10?
RhodeHazard,

Bummed to hear that you do not like the feedback from the SG10s. Because of their mechanical hinge, they are probably the best MX boot out there for comfort, flex, feel.

Anyway.....SG10s to Midlands...night and day difference. The SG10 is much, much stiffer, heavier, more supportive. The Midland is much lighter, more flexible, and easy to walk in.

In general, any conversation comparing MX boots with DS boots is extraordinarily subjective. We try to balance understanding the customer, pushing safety, and offering meaningful info. Perhaps the only piece of advice I universally offer is this: it is best to wear as much boot as you can tolerate. This can be applied to any rider, region, and bike.

In you case, I think your SG10s work nicely for getting into the backcountry on your KLR and your KTM 400. For rides where you prioritize walking over protection, I think the Midland is a great DS boot option. Other options would be the Gaerne Balance, Alpinestars Scout, and the Axo Freedom Adventure:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Alpinesta...oots_p_20.html

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AXO-Freed...ots_p_460.html

I know I am taking this wider, sorry. If you want, PM me your phone and I will call to try and make some sense of it.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 02:32 PM
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #75
J.L. Poe
Adventurer

Brian

Personal e-mail sent