User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #166
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Home Improvement

What, you thought I only work on bikes? Had to perform a much needed home repair and found a way to work in a motorcycle part. Had a shower head come loose inside the wall, cut the sheet rock, got in and made repairs and then decided to get creative with a removable "access panel". Turns out a number plate is just perfect;

Showed my wife the finished job, she was happy and didn't notice it was number plate until I pointed it out. Now I'm thinking about putting some numbers and stickers on it, but that might be pushing my luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #167
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
I thought maybe you were going to tell us you took a shower.

Good job on the repair. A nice big red Outta Sight sticker would look on that number plate.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #168
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Adios Scrambler

This morning I loaded up the Scrambler and headed to work, am handing the bike off this afternoon to Loud Al, who is planning to sell the bike at or near the One Show http://theonemotorcycleshow.com/ to help finance Outta Sight Racings trip to Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755786 . Even though this bike gave me fits at times, I really liked it and would like to have kept it, but sometimes a full shop & common sense must prevail!

The final result of all the work is a bike that runs fairly well, has most functions working, is ridable and will make a nice project for someone that doesn't want to start from ground zero.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #169
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Back to Racing!

Last night was the first night I did not have any commitments to anything other than racing and boy does that feel good for a change! Racing in Baja (and our preliminary race in the Desert 100) are dominating my thoughts. I will write more regarding race prep for Baja and the D100 on OC's 2012 MK1 thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=755786&page=9 , but here is an update on my old 350 twin racer.

I recently discovered that the powder coater doing all the work for Lonnie and Paul is an old school mate and dirt track racer named Don Faber. He does great work and is pretty reasonable, so any thoughts I had about sanding down & painting my frame and associated bits has pretty much gone out the window. The powder coating looks so good and is so durable, there really is no other way I'd want to go. The biggest decision will be what color? OC's bike has a black frame and looks really classic, but I also like the look of the factory silver. Hmmm....

So here is the bike when I got started last night, minus the fuel system used to get the scrambler going and also the motor as I pulled it last week to verify we can get it out (if need be) with the RH footpeg WELDED to the frame (and you can).

About an hour and half later, it was time to call it a night and have a well earned beer!

I have a lot of ideas and plans for the old girl, mainly I want it to be 100% race ready for the AHRMA Vintage MX Nationals in August (Chehalis ~ The Farm). I plan to lighten it up as much as possible and will drill more holes in it just to pi$$ OC off! The goal is to have it weigh 280 lbs or less when race ready and with one gallon of gas.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #170
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
I have a lot of ideas and plans for the old girl, mainly I want it to be 100% race ready for the AHRMA Vintage MX Nationals in August (Chehalis ~ The Farm). I plan to lighten it up as much as possible and will drill more holes in it just to pi$$ OC off! The goal is to have it weigh 280 lbs or less when race ready and with one gallon of gas.

Just in case any of you were wondering, guess what Rick's favorite cheese is....

And I vote for silver for the frame....specially on an AHRMA bike...might as well make it looks as stock as possible
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #171
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,755
Frame powder coating

Back in the mid '90's H-D used to race AMA Superbike. While at the Pomona race I talked to one of their mechanics at length about many things . I asked him why they didn't powder coat the frame. He said it was because you can't always tell if the frame is cracked under the powder coating. He believed you could have a small crack, one not big enough to crack the powder coating itself, that could turn into a huge problem. With the thinner paint, he could see any hairline cracks.

Just some food for thought.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #172
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

MK1 Race Prep Update on OC's thread

Take a look here for the latest update on race prep. Busy Busy!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post17993264
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #173
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
Back in the mid '90's H-D used to race AMA Superbike. While at the Pomona race I talked to one of their mechanics at length about many things . I asked him why they didn't powder coat the frame. He said it was because you can't always tell if the frame is cracked under the powder coating. He believed you could have a small crack, one not big enough to crack the powder coating itself, that could turn into a huge problem. With the thinner paint, he could see any hairline cracks.

Just some food for thought.
DC, thanks for this tip and oddly enough we experienced the opposite of this on OC's bike. On the back of his frame, above the shocks, the powder coating looked to have small cracks, but when the paint was buffed off to check, the frame was fine. With my bike being used in small duration motos, it isn't as critical as the Baja bike, so I'm gonna proceed. That being said, I do plan to go over all welds and mounting points to check and repair before powder coat. Thanks again for the heads up!

Did you race flat track? Those are my roots and I'm always up to hear any old war stories. Have you seen the four Ricky Graham videos, they are pretty cool, here is video number 1; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV27OoRdQGM
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #174
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by awshouse View Post
Now I've read your whole damn thread and the 1000 thread and you guys are making me want to make a bad decision. OC replied to my thread looking for folks who know these bikes as I want to get my father one to work on when he retires this summer. After reading this I really, really want one for me too! I just know I can't... my tiny urban garage has 4 bikes in it and I'm currently scheming on a tear down/rebuild of the garage... so too many things in the air. But I'm really excited to see what you guys are up to and I so appreciate you taking the time to share. Sooner or later we'll have one or two DLs or SLs to play with too.

Anyway-- great stuff. Thanks and keep having fun.

Andy
Andy, Thanks for your good feedback, if you ever make the leap to an SL350 let us know, we have a few extra parts and OC has a wealth of knowledge on parts suppliers. If you can make it down to Chehalis this August for the AHRMA VMX (and Trials) Nationals, please look for us in the pits and stop by for a visit!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #175
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
DC, thanks for this tip and oddly enough we experienced the opposite of this on OC's bike. On the back of his frame, above the shocks, the powder coating looked to have small cracks, but when the paint was buffed off to check, the frame was fine. With my bike being used in small duration motos, it isn't as critical as the Baja bike, so I'm gonna proceed. That being said, I do plan to go over all welds and mounting points to check and repair before powder coat. Thanks again for the heads up!

Did you race flat track? Those are my roots and I'm always up to hear any old war stories. Have you seen the four Ricky Graham videos, they are pretty cool, here is video number 1; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV27OoRdQGM
I've seen the same thing with powder coating and IIRC, he said something about that too. He just thought it made for more problems than it was worth.

Back then, I tried to talk to as many people as I could at the races before I started myself. You can learn a lot if you keep your mouth largely shut e.g. I learned how to safety wire from watching Team Kawasaki, use oversize rings on standard pistons and file them down to set a tight end gap, etc. I only wish I'd written it all down.

Nope, no flat track just roadraced some and then in the woods in '07 and '08. I'm going back into the woods in April, but that's another thread.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #176
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Update

It has been very busy of late, with 99% of the emphasis on prepping Oregon Coast's SL350 for the 2012 Mexican 1000.

Here is a link to my report on OC's thread tonite;

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=755786&page=9

The good news is, have been getting in a lot of riding lately, all wrenching and no riding makes LC a dull boy!

Even though it may seem like here's not much movement on my own bike, am lining up parts & pieces and planning ahead in order to go full tilt on the build when we return from Mexico.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #177
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Latest Report

I just posted a pretty detailed report on my latest efforts to prepare for the 2012 Mexican 1000, where we will be competing on OC's 1972 SL350.

What I did not mention in that report, is I'm also still working on my wife's AH Sprite, and as of yesterday had one of the SU-carbs ready for reassembly. Would have had that carb done, but the kit was missing a few critical bits. Slow going on the Sprite, but at least I'm maintaining forward progress!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post18142154
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #178
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

TTR 250 Prep aka T98 2.0

If you've been following OC's 2012 MK1 thread, you may have noticed I missed the Juniper ride due to Bobcats. The short version of that story is that we’ve know for awhile that we had a male Bobcat on the property and then recently spotted his mate, and on Tuesday night they killed one of our laying hens, only 100 feet from the house. Since there was no one to take care of or watch the place or guard the animals while I was gone, I ended up staying home and missed the big ride with the OSR Team. However, I did take full advantage of the time at home and finished getting the TTR ready for the Desert 100.

A few days ago I had started on the TTR, cleaning it, changing the oil and adjusting the throttle stop.

Here’s where it was at on Friday night (note T98 vintage bike in pieces on the shop floor, I think she’s jealous of the new girl getting all the attention);

Next step was to install 1" bar risers, both to allow some fork height adjust-ability as well as allowing me to stand on the pegs without being so hunched over. The bar risers were not exactly what I had hoped for with only slight indexing into the old mounts (not fully engaged as some are) but at this point I'm going to give them a try and hope they hold firm;

Next up was the air-box intake snorkel, reputed to be quite restrictive and the key to some free horsepower. Rather than just removing it as some do, I wanted to retain a little of its water deflecting ability so decided to cut it down and open it up a little inside. Here is the before shot;

And here is the after shot;

I glued it back into the air-box and then moved on to the next task, removing the wimpy original engine nerf bars and installing a Moose skid plate. Original protection;

With enhanced Moose protection;

Next I moved on to mounting a rear fender bag that was salvaged from an old mini back-pack. As I was thinking of a way to securely mount the bag, it dawned on me that if I did it right I could also use the same mounts or brackets to secure the fender, as the original factory mount at the rear (these are held on from the factory by the tail-light inner housing) had broken and was held together by a tie-wrap. I used rubber coated conduit straps around the rear frame tubes and bolted the bag onto the fender through the straps. Muy bueno!

I had removed the rear wheel to get better access under the fender, so decided I was time to replace the burned out stock tire and mount a spare Dunlop D952 left over from another project, greased the bearings, remounted the wheel, serviced the air-filter, replaced the stock original plug with an NGK Iridium, put all the plastic back on the bike, gave it a quick detail and threw on some numbers;

As part of the process, I adjusted the rear sag and compression damping. The rear damping was on full soft, so I set it exactly at the mid point and will just have to test and adjust from there. A pair of bark busters await installation and a new exhaust tip and spark arrestor are on their way, once those pieces are on it should be ready!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #179
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

TTR: Ready to Rumble

Finished the TTR up this weekend and got in a little more saddle time. First up was the exhaust tip/spark arrestor, I was concerned that it might not fit, as it was catalogued for the TTR 230 only, but it measured out correctly and I took a chance and ordered it. I was pleased to find it was a direct bolt on.

Before;

After;

So then I moved on to the bark busters. I'm not sure what the current name for these are, that is just what I remember calling them a few decades ago. Anyway, I had a pair of these that have been hanging in the shop for a long time, if I remember correctly they were purchased at a garage sale about ten years ago. With some persuasive bending, I finally got the first side on and discovered that the ball-end on the lever was hanging up;

With a little cutting and grinding, the ball-end levers were converted to blades and the fit was much better;

The process was repeated for the right hand side and then it was time for a test ride to see how all of the little modifications added up. The temperature was about 36 degrees, so I took off for a short ride up the hill and within about 5 miles my hands were getting pretty cold so I came home. The next morning I was determined to go out and ride a little more, but needed something to protect my hands from the cold. The factory hand guards were a poor fit over the bark busters, so I came up with these low tech wind/rain/snow/rock deflectors made from 1/2 gallon water jugs cut in half, crude but effective;

The second test ride went well and even though it was colder than the day before and the snow was caking on my goggles, my hands stayed much warmer and overall everything seemed to work well. The TTR is definitely more responsive, increasing the airflow really seemed to invigorate the motor and the extra 1/8 throttle pull didn't hurt anything either. Tightening up the rear damping and dropping the front forks helps the bike turn better, but now it wants to stutter the back tire on corner entry, so I'll have to try and find a happy medium on all adjustments. Other than soem fine tuning, all that remains of bike prep will be a pair of grip puppies and a cool retro Yamaha front fender mudflap that is on order.

So...not much left now for this project, other than to ride the TTR as much as possible before the Desert 100, which of course is a build up to the Mexican 1000 on an SL350, and that pretty much brings us back full circle to vintage dirt racing on a 350 Honda twin. Stay tuned.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #180
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

I'm Back!

Wow, it's been almost two months since I've posted on my own thread! It's been a real whirlwind lately with the MK1 prep (see OregonCoast's thread) and prior to that the Desert 100. As most of you know, we just returned from Baja, after successfully pitting Paul's '72 SL350 against other bikes new and old. The final result was first in class, eighth overall in bikes and the adventure of a lifetime!

The team in Cabo;

Hard to believe my involvement and eventual participation in this all began not long ago with a good friend (my buddy Don) dropping off my old SL350 and saying it was mine, as long as I promised to ride it in vintage races. One thing led to another, and now I'm at home, still decompressing from Mexico and trying to comprehend and appreciate it all. Wow!

As I write this, what I am struck by is how great it has been the last year or so to meet so many new friends and enjoy these great adventures, that all somehow relate back to our mutual love and appreciation for motorcycles. I am truly blessed and thankful, and glad for all of you who have participated, whether at the track, in the shop or just following along here at ADV.

I have not made plans too far in the future, but I do know we are going to rebuild my old twin for the Chehalis Vintage Nationals (as soon as I figure out where my motor is, I think it's in Spokane with Lady Bug! ) and the wife and I are definitely planning on taking the RV up to Odessa next Spring for D100, but not sure yet what I'm going to ride??

Today I started to clean out the shop, it was looking like a cyclone had blown thru, layers of parts and tools everywhere! After that I repaired the fuel pump on the John Deere so I can begin catching up on mowing, and finished the day servicing and washing the Shadow 750, so the wife and I can take a ride tomorrow. In June we are taking the Shadow over to the Hells Canyon Rally just for a good cruise.

Thanks for following along!