Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
Space_man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Pulled the trigger on a white one last weekend; like it more each time I ride it. First farkles are Touratech rear brake cylinder cover, adjustable windscreen mounting bracket and bash plate. Next up engine guards and some luggage. Will get some pictures of it up soon. Larry thanks for starting this thread.

Jon
Space_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibJab View Post
Does the 2011 version have the seat which can adjust to three different heights or is that a new feature only in the 2012 model? Thx!
My 2011 does not have any adjustment in the seat height.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #33
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
My 2011 does not have any adjustment in the seat height.
I think you might be confusing the word "options" with the word "positions". The 2012 Sertao came standard with a 34" seat height. You could get the low seat option which I think was 30 inches. But, it's not like my RT which, built into the seat itself, was a mechanism that allows you to adjust the seat height up or down a position.

The standard GS (non sertao) also has 3 seat height "options", not positions. 31 inches, 33 inches and if you ordered a low SUSPENSION bike, the seat height would be 30 inches. See..... 3 seat height "options"

For the A personalties....I rounded the numbers up or down to suit my memory. They are NOT exact.
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #34
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Deposit down on a 2012. 4 to 6 weeks for it to be built and shipped.

The farkle list beings!
We want pictures. Before and After.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #35
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Gris View Post
Next up engine guards and some luggage. Will get some pictures of it up soon. Larry thanks for starting this thread.

Jon
Jon,

Which bags are you leaning towards and why?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #36
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 193
Well..., I'm going to look at a 2007 G650GS with 15,000 miles on it this weekend. Comes with a taller windshield, engine guard and some kind of huge funky top box, all for $4600. A) does this sound like a fair deal, B) Will this bike perform adequately in the dirt? I know it's not a DRZ 400S or some other dirt oriented dual sport, but I expect to have some fun in the dirt. It'll be mostly used for exploring seasonal use, fire road, jeep trail stuff, but be able to travel say a hundred miles or so on tarmac to get to some trails in the mountains. Feed back, experience, regrets or any other tales of happiness with this bike is welcome.

Moocho-grassi-ass!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #37
Space_man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Larry,
Great question...Right now I'm kind of leaning toward a Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin...Compared to hard boxes they're light weight and most importantly simple...I really dig the clean lines.

Jon
Space_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #38
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
Well..., I'm going to look at a 2007 G650GS with 15,000 miles for $4600. A) does this sound like a fair deal, B) Will this bike perform adequately in the dirt?

Moocho-grassi-ass!!
Fair Pricing is a moving target. It kind of depends on where you are. Certain bikes sell stronger in certain areas. My suggestion would be that the closer to NADA trade in value you can buy the bike, the better the deal. I wouldn't factor in farkels because they add very little value to the bike itself. Having said that, some farkels (like hard saddlebags and russell day longs seats) DO have some value.

Regarding performance in the environments you described, YES, she will do very well. Much of it depends on YOU and your skill level. I've seen guys take sport tourers with street tires into sand ruts and ride like it was pavement. They are just good riders. In very soft sand, you would need to think about reducing tire pressure but for fire roads, gravel, jeep trails....the G will do great!

Don't be afraid of the G's ability to handle the road. She can handle just about anything you can throw at her. Her capabilities are often underestimated.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #39
beerdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
15 Amp Fuse

I keep blowing the 15 amp fuse on my 2011 G650gs. If I let the bike idle on the side stand when I get home from a ride while opening the garage, the fuse blows. Now I just shut the bike off and restart, but would like to know if there is another reason for this.
beerdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #40
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Fair Pricing is a moving target. It kind of depends on where you are. Certain bikes sell stronger in certain areas. My suggestion would be that the closer to NADA trade in value you can buy the bike, the better the deal.
Trying to find something reasonably priced here in the north east has been a real challenge!

Quote:
Regarding performance in the environments you described, YES, she will do very well. Much of it depends on YOU and your skill level. I've seen guys take sport tourers with street tires into sand ruts and ride like it was pavement. They are just good riders. In very soft sand, you would need to think about reducing tire pressure but for fire roads, gravel, jeep trails....the G will do great!

Don't be afraid of the G's ability to handle the road. She can handle just about anything you can throw at her. Her capabilities are often underestimated.
Great, that's what I wanted to hear. I've test ridden 2 over the last year and found it to be a fun bike on the road, but didn't have a chance to try any trails. At 53 I won't be tearing up the single track as I once did but may get a little frisky from time to time!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #41
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdavis View Post
I keep blowing the 15 amp fuse on my 2011 G650gs. If I let the bike idle on the side stand when I get home from a ride while opening the garage, the fuse blows. Now I just shut the bike off and restart, but would like to know if there is another reason for this.
I'd take it to the dealer so he can sort this out under warranty. You are covered for three years. The only thing I can think of is a short in the fan circuit.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdavis View Post
Does the fuse blow if you let it idle on the center stand, or, if you don't have a center stand, does it blow if running straight up> Like, at a light?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Gris View Post
Larry,
Great question...Right now I'm kind of leaning toward a Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin...Compared to hard boxes they're light weight and most importantly simple...I really dig the clean lines.

Jon
These bags are very cool for off road work where, you will only be accessing the contents at the end of your day. Also nice because they won't get "dented" or banged up if you drop the bike or skim a tree.

Would you ever be somewhere, like in a populated area where the bike would be out of your sight? Do you have any concerns about the security of the contents? That's where the hard bags come in handy. Otherwise, I think you have a winner.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #44
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 119
Hey guys & gals.

Good to find a thread looking at the G.

I am in the process of getting off the Buell XB12R to a Tiger 800XC, but the smaller half is eyeing off the G to trade the Buell 9S in for. On road I would not want anything else, but we find that as we travel the tarmac, we tend to look sideways down the dirt tracks and start to yearn.

So change is a happening!

I always research, and I have found with the GGS, there does not appear to be a great deal of gear/accessories/aftermarket for it. It is all aimed @ the F650 & F800.

So...

The lass does not want to carry A LOT of gear (*I do most of the hauling), and doesnt like the idea of panniers. So for storage this leaves 2 options - Tank and Rear.

The BMW tank looks like a good bit of kit, so that is a no brainer.

The issue is the rear. So far I am looking at 3 options:

Bags Connection Cargo Bag: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/845/
Dry Spec D28: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/7025/845/ (I am looking at this AND the D38 for the Tiger)
KRIEGA US-30 - http://www.kriega.com.au/bikepacks?p...&category_id=7

Some of it will be get the bike and go to the shops and fit. Wondering if anyone HAS tried these products??

But I am keen to see what else people have fitted to their bikes (guards,pegs,protection, communication) etc etc

CHAOS.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #45
beerdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Does the fuse blow if you let it idle on the center stand, or, if you don't have a center stand, does it blow if running straight up> Like, at a light?
It only blows on the side stand not if it is upright at a light. I don't have a center stand. I will take it to the dealer soon and let them try to figure it out. I just wanted some ideas of what could be causing this.
beerdavis is offline   Reply With Quote