ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
CPRFAB,

Any plans for a carbed 950 version? I'd buy a proper foam filter like this in a heartbeat.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #32
tahoeacr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
CPRFAB,

Any plans for a carbed 950 version? I'd buy a proper foam filter like this in a heartbeat.
There are 950's in the works.

Nice work BillyD. I'm only bringing up the rear cause I'm trying to get 75mpg. I'm almost there. Yeh, that's it, really

Here is a little more info.

The element is a multi layer filter. The outer layers of foam provide optimum filtration and load-up capacity while the inner layer is made of special self extinguishing filter foam. They give the best combination for air flow, engine protection and safety. We have a race team in Baja that has competed for years. In the last Baja 1000 we were the only race bike builder to have 2 bikes in the top ten other that factory Honda. ALL of Baja is filled with silt, a filter's worst enemy, and ALL bikes down there run foam elements. NO bike runs K&N in the dirt down there. It just isn't done, and if anyone does, mostly on buggies, they are wrapped in foam. Go figure. We blast through silt that is so gnarly we disappear from sight. Foam filters are the only choice down there and the one we use is of the same type of multi layered construction with the addition of a layer of self extinguishing foam on the inside. We us Twin Air in Baja (Because it is shaped for our Hondas) and they are very similar to what ours is. Load them up with No Toil which is what is recommended and they are super tacky and wash with soap and water. (You can't squeeze these because they have a fiber reinforced skeleton cage that holds the shape)

Rottweiler filter efficiency chart:
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
CPRFAB,

We've got a 950 coming in this weekend for some R&D development. Our initial plan was the 990 then the 950's which is still what we are doing but due to the amount of requests for the 950's we are stepping it up a bit. Keep checking, we should have one very soon. If you would like to get on a list feel free to give us a call.
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
We've got a 950 coming in this weekend for some R&D development. Our initial plan was the 990 then the 950's which is still what we are doing but due to the amount of requests for the 950's we are stepping it up a bit. Keep checking, we should have one very soon. If you would like to get on a list feel free to give us a call.

Is there an outer filter available yet? This looks like a nice product, but it would be impractical to carry a spare clean filter in Baja... and cleaning is rarely an option.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
I'll do that. Thanks. I've been waiting for a real foam filter for this bike since I got it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #36
CPRFAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
Is there an outer filter available yet? This looks like a nice product, but it would be impractical to carry a spare clean filter in Baja... and cleaning is rarely an option.

We have had allot of requests on that and are speaking with a company right now to have some made. This is real important for the Adventure guys. Especially the Baja guys. That's our territory and know the silt all too well. See pic below, believe it or not, I'm in there...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

The only downside that I see or can think of is that this set up will reduce the deep water crossing ability of the Adventure. The stock snorkel/airbox set up gives it near submarine capability. The benefits still outweigh this one drawback.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #38
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
That's an awesome looking filter setup!

I see that CJ Racer is carrying them here
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Will installation on the 950 Super Enduro require re-jetting?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 490
Dramatically reduces the jerky "On / Off" throttle response of the big twin.
"Mountain roads and tight traffic become a joy again".

Listed in the advertisement as a benifit of this filter. Anyone comment on this!

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 03:13 PM Reason: can't speel
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post

ktm950se
Hold your horses (pun intended).
A free flow filter is of little use with CV carbs.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #42
CPRFAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Dramatically reduces the jerky "On / Off" throttle response of the big twin.
"Mountain roads and tight traffic become a joy again".

Listed in the advertisement as a benifit of this filter. Anyone comment on this!

(We're bias but here is our honest impression)
Haven't found anything that eliminates it whatsoever, but it helps quite a bit. We were always skeptical about those claims with other free flowing filters but the first test up to Malibu hills in the tight and twisties was soooo much more pleasant to ride than with the stock set up. Pretty much never shifted out of third the whole way. Lugged the low gears better and "Came on" much smoother.Tight traffic under 25 mph was way less white knuckle as well. Admittedly, allot of it is simply getting a proper map made. But if your going to that extent, why not do it with a cost effective filter and get the extra 10.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #43
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post

ktm950se
probably.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #44
tahoeacr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
I won't have time to dyno this until April probably. Sorry guys. Just got a job with a SX lights east coast team. If my local dyno guy gets moved/ up and running I can have him do it while I'm gone.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #45
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
I stopped by CPR Fab and spoke with Chris Parker the other day. This looks like a well thought out, well built product. Not having a separate filter and cage will keep me from running it, but I imagine most will find it very functional.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote