User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #1021
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Mocoa for some days

Waking up in a nice little piece of paradise minus a hot shower down in my dorm room bunk. Philip has a nice place here at Case del Rio. A little look around the property:

Lots of nice flora and fauna abound the place:

Little jungle-like pathway leading up to the main lodge where the day room/ kitchen and Philip lives:

Here with bike parking out back with no problems:

I had decided to take a little break from riding that day as my big day yesterday and it was nice to be back in the land of internets again for exploring routes on google earth and posting up some material on ADV. I talked to Philip and he recommended the one really nice hike + waterfall to the Fin del Mundo, or roughly End of the World. I was game and two of the three other guys had been before and so we all grouped up and decided to make the trip in together but not before a nice morning on the net + the super sweet really small yellow ones that I love, 1st introduced back in Guatemala:

Right outside my office my baby feeling neglected, I will let her rest today.

Our little group took off around noon for the good half day adventure to the End of the World.

We had a good 3-4 km trip down the road that the hostel sits near and we eneded up walking a good part of it before hitching a ride on a collectivo for about a half dollar. Here's the crew IIRC names correctly: Eric- the Swed, followed by Stuart Little the Canadian, and Peter the Swiss bringing up the rear. One thing right off the bat this boys where looking into the spiritual side of stuff down here in the jungle, Steward or Stuart worked at a plant nursery on Victoria Island and knew a fair amount and herbology and such but the others have been in expirements over the last few days from the sounds of it and where into the sharman side of things, I was just sticking with beer. The stories and effects they talked about where wild. I guess I'm just damn lucky I don't need a thing else to make me happy. I'll drink a beer but don't need any to have a good time and damn sure don't need some wild drugs to get off on. To each his own, I do enjoy learning about the effects and seeing how it works thou

You decend down to a river from the paved road and cross an old swinging bridge

to continue on into the End of the Earth as marked here:

They even have mobile service, who would have thought

More later, I think I need a bigmac and fries and a coke
Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #1022
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Your really doing Colombia up real good bro!! Your path is less traveled then the other roads such as the Pan American. I suspect your going to become sort of a go to guy for info. from that route. ( Not so much San Augustin. ) But the areas south and across..........................

i know you may be cranking thru here, but at least lets have a coffee/lunch or whatever on the way up!

If ya have time............ your man cave is always available!
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #1023
Celtazon
Enigma

Oddometer: 403
Thanks for taking the time to post up so many wonderful pictures.
Go Go Go!!!!
Celtazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #1024
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Great RR!!

Hey John John!! You are the man!!! You are living the life my friend. There are so many of us here in the life of Bullshit and stress that are so jealous and envious of you. You need to start a beer fund so those of us with the crappy lives can sponsor your adventures so we may live vicariously through yours!! I would be honored to be the first to contibute!! You may have to get you a small ranch down there and raise cows!! You could be the gringo el Charro!! Keep the RR coming and be safe my friend!!
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #1025
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Hey John.........aint you coming down to Brazil ?
I pay the first round.
Take care.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #1026
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombianito View Post
Your really doing Colombia up real good bro!! Your path is less traveled then the other roads such as the Pan American. I suspect your going to become sort of a go to guy for info. from that route. ( Not so much San Augustin. ) But the areas south and across..........................

i know you may be cranking thru here, but at least lets have a coffee/lunch or whatever on the way up!

If ya have time............ your man cave is always available!
Well you know how I like to take the roads off the beaten path and not double back on the same routes Funny how I sit down here in your bottom room typing this up. Thanks Larry for giving me such a great place to crash and feeding my so well I'm going to sleep damn good tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtazon View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post up so many wonderful pictures.
Go Go Go!!!!
Your quite welcome AnnaLee Glad your enjoying, lots more to come when I get set up again with some good wifi for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post
Hey John John!! You are the man!!! You are living the life my friend. There are so many of us here in the life of Bullshit and stress that are so jealous and envious of you. You need to start a beer fund so those of us with the crappy lives can sponsor your adventures so we may live vicariously through yours!! I would be honored to be the first to contibute!! You may have to get you a small ranch down there and raise cows!! You could be the gringo el Charro!! Keep the RR coming and be safe my friend!!
You are too kind Mark I think my kind of sponsor fund needs to be set up for "get home money after I've spent all else" and need to finish up. Everybody has a life to live and I too enjoy living through others, we all got our stories, mine just happens to have a shitload involving motorbikes. I'm glad you and others can enjoy some of my little stories traveling around on my motorcycle. I like Oklahoma too much to leave it for good Got a lot of good people around there like yourself!

I will get some more of this caught up as soon as I can but I've got a lot of stuff coming up over the next few weeks so it will be a little limited until I get settled down once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciosiq View Post
Hey John.........aint you coming down to Brazil ?
I pay the first round.
Take care.
Hola Lucio. Nice to hear from you and thanks for posting up, I will be in touch with you as Brazil is a big part of my plan for SA. Will be looking forward to that Beer(s) with you and Paula. Brazil is so freaking huge compared to all those other little countries

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Little update:

I did some real nice riding down in Ecuador for a week or so to get just enough of a taste to tell me that I will be coming back for a whole lot more. Met a host of great people and made many new great friends in my short time there. I tried to wait on Radioman and company and waitedin Quito until 4pm before leaving for Mindo in the late afternoon and early evening hours, I left pair of stickers for them at Casa Helbling before signing out of Quito. (Hector bought that KTM btw) Lots coming up in the report. I met another of the very few people I can travel with for more than a few days at a whack when I meet a Colombian national living and working in Mindo Ecuador. Camilo on his KLR joined up with Raul, Karla, and myself for a really nice long day ride and then he and I continued back up North into Colombia to take care of some unfinished business. We managed to find some pretty spectacular riding including a little bit of hell as we crossed into Colombia once again yesterday and spent the night in Ipiales after another long and wet day in the saddle. We celebrated our trimphful return to Colombia with style and didn't part ways until late in the afternoon today and I had another late day in the saddle riding well into the night on the very long ride up to Popayan to find a spot at Larry's place once more. I made good time until the sun went down and then it was a long slow and sometimes wet ride getting into Popayan well into the night. Had a nice late night meal with Larry and company before riding back to the casa and finding some wifi and nice spot to sleep. I just don't understand how things keep on getting better and better, I hope this run of good luck continues. It's not all perfect but it is DAMN close. This has been a wonderful time, Ecuador was a lot more than I expected and worthy of a lot more exploration if I can keep from getting kicked out of the country for not having my permissio papers Nice to be back in Colombia and tomorrow I will meet up with an old friend for some high quality riding in moto heaven once again

I'm whipped. Looking forward to getting this all down as soon as I can.

John in Popayan for a short spell...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #1027
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,203
Youre already back in Colombia? What happened to Peru, Bolivia, and Brasil?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #1028
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Youre already back in Colombia? What happened to Peru, Bolivia, and Brasil?
Well you know all about the honey badger don't you Vinny

I'm going to Venezuela, I've got a date

Now in Cali at Alain's casa meeting up with one of the best guys on the road traveling long term, Adam Lewis as we have a little project of a few days riding to work on. Going to pop in some new fork seals and fresh fork oil tomorrow and fix my riding pants before beating on the old girl some more as I work my way North and then East. I left my old shock in Cartagena so I will be stopping back by to pick that up on my way.

Some more report coming soon...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #1029
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lo Siento I apologize for the lack of computer work I've been busy fighting off the unfriendlies in Colombia, this place has danger around ever corner. I should be able to get much work done this evening if all goes as planned.

Adam has been getting in trouble with the local midget rebel groups, nasty little bastards:

I came to his rescue, this is deep shit down here in Farc Land

It's not so bad...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #1030
alain1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

I came to his rescue, this is deep shit down here in Farc Land

It's not so bad...
hey John what happened in this country?
Do you need supplies? Money ,munitions or drugs?
Enjoy the last promotion inside the Valentina day.
alain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #1031
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
It's not so bad...
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #1032
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Air Soft

Sorry, but that looks suspiciously like an air soft rifle. Must be some interesting back story here.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #1033
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
You still remember It can always be a little bit worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Sorry, but that looks suspiciously like an air soft rifle. Must be some interesting back story here.
You think? There's always stories, got some time to work on some of those stories coming up.

It's been some fun riding going on down here and I think I've got some time to get caught back up if I can ever keep this computer battery topped off.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1034
farleywilbur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Missing your updates!!!! Get that laptop up and running, quick!!
farleywilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #1035
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

End of the World

Near the end of the world.

We did the first little short hike up to the little house to pay the entrace fee of two dollars and set up a return time with the woman running the place to have some food ready for our return. Nice woman running the place and to take note of they also operate a little fish farm on the site so they can offer fresh cooked fish, had I only known.

It turned out to a pretty long and muddy climb up the slippery slope to the top of the high point and then back down the other side down to the river. Stuart and Peter went native style barefoot while Eric and I kept the shoes on for the duration:

There are some nice new building works in progress that will be available after the little work finishes up. Really like the simple style and tin roofs, nice way to go to sleep every now and then I get a lot of good ideas from seeing the building techniques down here:

They had a few nice covered stops along the track, especially nice when the rains came, thankfully we got out with very little, only slight showers ever so often. Would have been a total mess in any heavier rains.

Wild and strange looking plants, the other three where looking into all the advantages of the different flora of the area, seems more than a few can make the mind do different things.

After cresting the high point thankfully there were wooden steps to help with the steep decent down to the river.

Then the first of many waterfalls, I was pulling a Johnny Cash in black for protection from all the bitting bastards until I reached the river.

Nice little swimming creek with a series of waterfalls the last being the big kahuna over the end of the world. Very refreshing, and another great reason to have a waterproof backpack as it is perfect for this type of canyonerring type swimming and hiking along the river. Was nice and cool at the start but felt wonderful after getting aclimatized to it.

I bombed off the first falls into the deep pool below, what a way to enter, this was nice swimming hole

Fuzzy here but Peter and Stuart climbing over to a high point and jumping off:

Headed on down the river to the next falls, hiking in the water for much of the way:

The second big falls here where I'm taking the picture from doesn't offer a safe jumping spot but right below there was another set of falls just to Eric's left that where tougher to access the jumping spot as you had to wade and crawl out to the ledge with the water cascading over, not a place you wanted to lose your footing, it would surely leave a mark from a miss jumping spot:

The third falls offered a nice swimming pool with the tricky jump from the falls:

Here Stuart making his way to the jumping off spot through the falls, some nice big holes just in front of the ledge you had to deal with beside just the fast flowing water:

Monkey see, monkey do

Peter and Eric both liked the roosting spot the old tree stump offered, I think they where both still coming off the last bit of spirt world drugs from the day before

After this set of falls there where no more good jumping falls on the way to the end of the World but there where some more good soaking pots in the refreshing waters as they heading to the big falls at the end:

Natural bridge before the big drop:

One last set of stairs to take you down to the End of World:

Then the heaviest rains of the day came for a quater hour or more right as we came to the end:

Peter looking down into the abyss:

70 something meters IIRC, would have to check to be sure but it was pretty damn high and offered little if any change of surviving the fall:

The rains made it look a little cooler:

Eric showing off a little, don't want to slip and fall for sure. They had some nice rock bolts setting some anchor points for repelling off, would have been exciting:

That last set of steps from below, would have been a real bitch without this set

The End:

Couple of locals hanging out at the second swimming hole on our way back out:

On the way out I had filled up a memory card and swapped cameras back over to the trusty pentax to shoot the water shots but it seemed the throwing it at the dog that bite me in San Agustin had losened up the hinge enough to cause a fatal leak, the End of the World had been the end of my most favorite cameras I've ever owned. It had some stories to tell and the proof was in the pictures, I will miss it and will be replacing it with another Optio as soon as possible. The little blue samsung is still working but the flash is broken and the lcd is starting to get the black plague

I hiked back out alone and made good time back to the first house with a good twenty minutes ahead of the next person and took a little siesta in a hammock while I waited for the others and then as the woman nearly perfectly predicted had a nice home cooked simple dinner at the place, sans fish thou. Was a nice trip to the End of the World and I would recommend it but not in the rain Nice time with some nice guys, they decided to stay with some local shaman that night while I opted for the wifi at Philips Casa del Rio. Was a nice day with good weather to make the trip into the big falls. Would have been a good riding day but you can't ride em all and it was a worthwhile break from the bike. Tomorrow I would tackle Colombia's Death Road aka The Trampolin of Death as it's known locally Sounds like a nice time.