Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
jesionowski
Chicagoland Burgman

Oddometer: 134
Great video. One of the best I have seen. Great sound track and loved the time lapse stuff.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman67204 View Post

OHHHHH man I am hurt ... You said I had a Harley Thems fighting words!!!!!

It was great meeting you at Kivach. yes I did have a rather super overloaded Yamaha Warrior. With me and Okcana and our gear for a little over a week...

Great ride report! I keep saying I will do one for my little ride but I have not had much time!!
Uuh, how should I know? No offense, man. I called a Honda Cruiser a Harley when I was in LA a while back, I should have taken the consternation in my conversational partners face as a sign to be more cautious about this. Note to self: Don't mention the war in front of Germans and don't call every Cruiser a Harley when talking to Americans.

Although your bike was heavily loaded, I'm sure it was a lot of fun. It was easier for you than for Oksana I guess? Would be great to read about your trip if you get to writing a ride report. Too few about that region.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #33
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Arriving at some sort of momument on the roadside - the arctic circle. I wasn't aware, that I'm already this far north. But there has to be some victory posing photo.

Camera on auto-timer and lets go.

There is a tradition to hang a piece of your scarf on the tree when you cross the Arctic circle.

And for this couple from Moscow it is also very important to bring back 50 pictures in different poses. They were already taking pictures when I arrived and still are when I ride on.

Traffic gets less and less - I am already on this road for 1000 Kilometers! Riding my bike, getting gas, eating, pitching the tent and starting all over again in the morning gets me in a flow. Nothing can disturb my mood and I start to lose grip on time. I cover the onboard clock on the bike and just ride as I please. I can only imagine how it would feel like to ride across Siberia, when hours not only become days but weeks and months.

Russians tend to drive fast on these straight roads, but extremely slow when there is one turn. And they like to overtake you. With only inches inbetween. You have to be focused on what's coming from behind all the time. If there's a pot hole, better dodge it to the right than to the left!

A lot of turnouts are the only variety.

There's always a ramp to fix your car - and most of the time there really is somebody up there.

Unfortunately, it seems most of them do the maintenance on their cars and trucks at these very places - and just dump the oil and tyres in the surroundings.

Crossing into Murmansk Oblast. Most town signs were bigger than that.

I decide to take one of these sandy side roads as I'm making too much progress today. After about half an hour I see a lake glistening through the woods. A small track brings me there.

Being such a wonderful day (and without a shower for a few days), I take a swim in the cold water. No human soul anywhere in sight.

This road is fun to ride on, a bit of gas and I'm wiggling the tail. Leveling them with a bulldozer seems to be the only maintenance they get (and probably need).

Seeing the cops reminds me that there ought to be a lot of police checkpoints, but I haven't seen in any. There were only fix checkpoints after both Oblast borders (Karelia and Murmansk). I hope my luck lasts a bit more.

Some more trash. At least it's not scattered around too much...

The first sign in latin characters since St. Petersburg. Not only in latin but also in english language!

Doesn't seem to be the biggest skiing region, but at least it gets some snow in winter compared to 2014 winter olympics host Sochi at the black sea.

Finally, some mountains again. These are the Khibiny mountains, where the highest elevation of the Kola peninsula lies.

At the turnoff to Apatity I meet Dmity and Svetlana, my Couchsurfing hosts from Murmansk. They want to take me on a three day long hike through Khibiny mountains.

We start our hike at 10 PM. No infrastructure, no cell phone service, no nothing. Only bears and wolves. Cool!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #34
Horizon
Swedish Surströmming!

Oddometer: 27
Yes, the Russians are often real "environment-pigs".
It is amazing how often many just dump spill oil and other waste at the side of the road. Long stretches of the otherwise beautiful nature sometimes looks like a big dump.
I tried to ask my Russian friends why it´s so commonly "accepted", but i couldn´t get a straight answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post

Unfortunately, it seems most of them do the maintenance on their cars and trucks at these very places - and just dump the oil and tyres in the surroundings.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #35
DCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'm in! Very good pics and videos.
DCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
Rr

Great report !!! I plan on doing part of it in June !!!

Paka , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 635
Excellent. I'm in.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #38
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
dimitris777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Very nice!!! I
dimitris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #40
panzerrocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
This is an interesting read - and nice pictures too.
Looking forward to more.
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #41
novack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Yes, the Russians are often real "environment-pigs".
It is amazing how often many just dump spill oil and other waste at the side of the road. Long stretches of the otherwise beautiful nature sometimes looks like a big dump.
I tried to ask my Russian friends why it´s so commonly "accepted", but i couldn´t get a straight answer...
Yes, that's true.

I'm personally don't have an answer for this. I always clean camping spots after me and there are many people who do the same and many people who don't.:(
I think it's a matter of some self esteem and poor watch from the government: it's almost impossible to get fined for dumping a litter... :(

BTW beautiful report!

novack screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 05:12 AM
novack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #42
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Subscribed!

Well done report!

-T
Thermos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,249
Thumb

Great Video!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #44
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for reading (and watching) my report - it's good to write a report myself after reading and devouring all of ADVs interesting ride reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novack View Post
I'm personally don't have an answer for this. I always clean camping spots after me and there are many people who do the same and many people who don't.:(
I think it's a matter of some self esteem and poor watch from the government: it's almost impossible to get fined for dumping a litter... :(
I don't know about the reasons, but the people I met (motorcyclists and hikers) were conscious about the topic and did in fact look where they put their trash. The trend is positive for sure.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #45
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Let's have a short intermezzo here.

My mother was visiting me and brought me something interesting stuff she discovered while going through my grandmothers things.

It is a map of Europe from 1940, belonging to my grand-grandfather who died in the late 70s.

I already knew a few things about him, being a german soldier during WW2, he earned an Iron Cross 2nd Class. The 2nd Class Iron Cross was awarded about 4.5 million times, so not that high decorateed. But it still is strange to see this in real and knowing your grand-grandfather had it.

My grandmother never told me a lot about the war years, even when I insisted in hearing her story. She died last fall and now my mother finds interesting memorabilia from long gone times.

My mother asked her aunt (the daughter of my grand-grandfather) about the map and what these red lines mean.

Apparently, my grand-grandfather was in Murmansk and St. Petersburg long before me. Not exactly for the same purpose, but it's still interesting to hear about it.

(note the different line of the border - e.g. north of Leningrad or between Sweden and Finland)

He fought on the Western and Eastern Front.

There are also a few diaries of my grand-grandfather, but my mother keeps them for now. It's written in old german cursive so I can't read it anyways. Definately have to learn and read it someday.

Just wanted to share this little gem with you. Not groundbreaking in any way, but I thought it was pretty interesting.