ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #46
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Well, I'm out for Friday and Saturday due to work commitments.
I might be able to sneak down on Sunday if you guys are riding that day.
It would be good to see you guys and visit Uncle Rick's Helicopter Landing Pad.

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #47
rolandska
Around Town

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post

HMM
rolandska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #48
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
UNACCEPTABLE, SATURDAY OVERTIME DENIED

Sat night and Sunday morning would be acceptable however! Throw the bedroll and dualsport tires on the Triumph... C'mon Uncle Rick!

You are still a hero of the Bombrun, as no one else was kind enough to leave a trailer fully provisioned and unattended before. (of course no one else has called in an airstrike before either)

Going to the Parker 425 this weekend, anybody else going?

Mike
gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #49
bourkeco
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Fuel...

I will bring a extra 10-15 gal Of 91oct gas for anyone that needs some..
Do we need anything else Mike? Oil for smudge pot? Dave and I will be there early on fri. Not sure about the fry loop yet...

I realized after 29 years of riding/racing that as much as I love motorcycles I had only tolerated ridding the bikes that I have owned. , untill I bought my GS now I have a hard time getting off the ramp to go to work.
- Me!
bourkeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #50
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
For those who have not read the entire thread, I have gathered most of the information into one post. Please also note some details below MAY have changed from last year even though it looks similar.

Gearheart and his dad should be at the ranch at some point during the weekend. This is where the base camp and BBQ will be.

FAQ's:

Q:What about parking at gearhearts place?
A: There is a lot of space to park your vehicles, but depending on how many trucks and trailer setups there are, we may have overflow parking available if the desert rat neighbors (lucky butt ranch) are there this weekend. If not, it is fairly safe to park along side the road adjacent to grearhearts place. this road is hardly used with low traffic, and fairly safe, especially since there will be so many of us there.

when you pull up to the property, please see BOB, Richard (pops/Spareparts) or Mike (gearheart) about parking. It is first come first serve, so if you get there late, you may be parking on the street.

**Parking space IS limited, so please try to carpool if possible to save vehicle space. Once the main area fills up we have overflow parking. once that is full you'll have to park on the road next to the Ranch. It is fairly remote and relatively safe, so there is no worry about hit and runs.

Q: What if I am a pansey who doesnt like to camp in the dirt?
A:FOR THOSE WHO DONT WANT TO CAMP, the campgrounds were bought out by KOA and have been remodeled, plenty of nice cabins and motorhome spots to stay in. you are welcomed to stay here and meet us in the morning for rides, food and general debauchery. This is the link to the website for reservations. KOA Glamis North

Q:How the heck do I get there???

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN HERE BEFORE TRY TO ARRIVE DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS TO MORE EASILY FIND THE PLACE, or at least start calling fellow inmates while still on the pavement (cell reception is spotty at best)

A:GPS (garmin) Coords are:
W 33* 27.011'
W115* 42. 875

It's paved up until about two miles or so from camp, after that it is a graded dirt road, which large motorhomes access often. There will be signs marking the way so nobody gets lost. If you have any questions about how to get there you can call me at (five six two) three three five-nineteen nineteen 562-335-1919

Coming from LA, take the 10 east towards pheonix.
Keep RIGHT to take CA-86 SPUR S toward BRAWLEY / EL CENTRO.
Take the 66TH AVE EAST exit on the LEFT. (there is a huge highly used Arco gas station, this is the last good place to fuel up)
Turn LEFT onto 66TH AVE / CA-195.
Turn RIGHT onto CA-111.
Turn LEFT onto Mineral Hot Springs road, you'll cross railroad trails and head towards the mountains
Turn LEFT at System road (graded dirt road). this road parallels the Coacha Canal.
You will pass Siphon #22 and you are basicly there.
Turn LEFT at Vaughn Road

When you turn left onto Vauhn Road, you will pass our neighbors place on the left, then you will turn left onto Cooper Rd. for about 20 yards.

Q: Where is the best Place to fuel up??
A: Depending on the direction you are coming from there are gas stations 20 miles from the Ranch:

If you are coming from LA via the 86 & 111, There is an Arco gas station:
90480 66th Avenue
Mecca, CA 92254-6228
(760) 396-5243
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-Ro2r

If you are coming from San Diego or Yuma, AZ via the 78 & 111, there is a Soco Gas station in Niland, CA
8004 US-111., Niland, CA 92257
(760) 359-2422
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-GtPXmok90T6ushEl

Q: green sticker okay?
A: plate recommended, if you want to ride a green sticker bike its at your own risk.

Q: nOObs invited?
A: sure, we can split into groups by bike and comfort level

Q: can I show up early/leave late from gearheart's camp spot?
A: ok to arrive Friday, leave Monday but please PM Gearheart your plans (there will be no water on Monday morning).

Q: where do we relieve ourselves?
A: gearheart's camp spot has a toilet and running water. (feel free to donate toilet paper, soap, or magazines)

Q: is drunken buffoonery permitted?
A: no, drunken bufoons will be blindfolded and dropped off in the bombing range
(please see the other camp rules below LINK)

Q: should I bring the big DS or the plated dirt bike?
A: if you want to ride fast and explore the side options bring the dirt bike, otherwise the big DS will be fine. either way you'll want a gas tank with at least a 100 mile range.

Q: Where do i fill up??
A: Depending on what adventure you take: If you are doing the full bomb run: A small gas station near lunch mid-ride. its aproximately 160 miles round trip, so unless you are sure you can make it, or have spare fuel, I would highly advise you fill up here. If you are just doing short rides like the freeway, or red canyon/arch loop, there is a gas station off the 10 freeway, but with a 100 mile range it's unlikely you will need to fill up.

Wheelies gas station or Chiraco summit/Desert Center.

Q: We're eating lunch too?? (for bomb run)
A: We will be eating at a fine dining establishment near wheelies gas station, called Lagoon Lodge, so bring your best riding attire If you are riding other routes, its bring your own food!

Q: Whats the deal with the BBQ??
A: This year we are not doing the deep pit BBQ, so no charge! We will be having a pot-luck style dinner saturday night instead, so bring your own drinks, and a dish enough for 5-10 people.

You can bring anything you want to contribute for the bbq, drinks, chips, cups/plates/forks or other sides are welcome... its byos (bring your own sides) so it's deffinitly welcome!

Q: Do I need silverware?
A: SOME we will have some silverware for those who arent able to or forgot those... as long as you dont mind me licking it after im done using it.

Q: STEEEEEKERS?!?!
A: Stickers are already in, and available for prepurchase. It may or may not look something like this:

Campground etiquette...

This is not a party so much as a ride. Please be prepared to behave as you would in your own house, here's a few of the house rules:

*no littering, including cigarette butts.
*alcohol in moderation, please.
*parking only in the driveway and no cutting across the property (no riding on the lawn, essentially).
*kind, curtious behavior. please no asshattery (it isnt glamis).
*firewood welcome for the firepit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey650
A side note not covered here:
Bring trash bags and be prepared to haul all your and any trash you find that is not burnable out. We are guests here and it is our responceability to clean the place up, so that we can continue having this ride out of this location. Everyone is required to do camp clean up before they leave.

Bring firewood if you can.

Can't wait to see everyone again and meet new faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheart
I have a couple of additional requests, as this property is my parents escape from the city many of the other 51 weeks a year, Pop's has been trying to encourage some new trees to grow. many of these are marked with a cinder block turned on its side with the open cells facing up protecting the young tree from rabbits, boots, bike tires, tents or what have you. Please watch out for them as they seem scattered about at random and remind others.

With this many people signed on, parking is going to be tight. Bob is in charge of parking. He is a retired teamster and can back a motorhome and trailer around GlenHelen if he had too.

He will asess the size and type of your vehicle and determine the best spot for you to park. It will get a little tight this weekend, those who have been before know what I mean. The smaller rigs can get in closer with the larger land yaughts parking outside the gate with tenters getting priority.

Work with Bob and you might end up closer to the food...

cause a problem and you might end up sleeping on top of the scorpion mound...

One last thing, I am not too good at math so exact change helps, or keep the change is fine too.

I am looking forward to some good rides. see you guys soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheart
Hi everybody, couple of things;

First, please see the list Snap is putting together and keep us posted if your plans change (post #7) yeah, go back to the first page...

Second, we got some smudge pots this year due to nearly freezing our arse's off last year while trying to dry out. If you are unfamiliar with smudgies, they run on reclaimed motor oil so we are recycling in a way. We run them WFO and they burn super hot and work great. (Thanks Cousin Jon, not only can you set a dislocated finger in the field but this year you brought the heat!!!) PLEASE BRING ANY OLD OIL YOU ARE HARBORING!

Third, it is great to hear from everybody, friends new and old. (Thanks for reminding me of when I locked the keys in the van Ramjet... I actually had forgotten!) Uncle Rick, I am surprised that Mrs RickF will let you make it this year after showing off your skivvies on the internet last year but I am glad to hear you are going to make it! Please re-stock that fridge.., you were certianly well toasted around the fire last year in your absence!

Where the hell is Trey650?

See you soon,
Mike

Q: Is the saturday "Bomb Run" riding as crazy as the pictures jonz posted?
A: only on the Friday ride (DETAILS). The Bradshaw trail is actually fairly mild, it is mostly fire road, but 160 miles of it. These fire roads can be decieving, however. Once you get a good fast pace, a turn will come up and throw a tree in your way! So essentially it is a challange of endurance and compansionship.

Q:What about the friday ride?
A: We have not actually planned to have a friday ride, but if SOMEONE was willing to lead the freeway loop, so maybe we can do this.

Q: What about the sunday ride?
A:There are several options for this, we can do a local tour to the Oasis, or Red canyon/arch loop, or Repeat the repeator towers.

-We can do Jonz route:
Repeat the repeaters

-Or we can do a red canyon/waterfall route as shown by Razr:
Red Canyon/Waterfall route
ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #51
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Thanks Jeff for posting the directions, maps, disclaimers etc.

The new 2012 stickers were delivered this weekend!

Mike
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #52
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Two weeks. Who's still on the fence and who's in fo sho?

Also what do you guys think, carne asada or burgers and dogs for dinner Sat after the ride? Asada once a weekend just isn't enough for me!

Mike
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #53
BetaTrialsGuy
D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer: 168
Team Elderly check in:

Status - IN! (fo sho)
Preference - Carne Asada
Ride - Out and back
Bike - Orange
Beverage - H2o in Camelback
Physical Shape - Ugly
Longevity - Beyond hope
Statistics - http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/yelrotflmao.gif
Arrival - Sometime after sunrise
Passenger - Spot Satellite Tracker
Destination - Whatever the GPS says!
Lunch - Wheelies in Palo Verde
Alternate - Chiriaco Summit
Gas - Same two as above
More? - No

BetaTrialsGuy, over and out
----> Blue Ribbon Coalition

==============================

 International Orange: Harley, The Golden Gate Bridge, Black & Decker, KTM 

I formerly listed Home Depot with the International Orange group, but I gave up on them and went to Lowe's
BetaTrialsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaTrialsGuy View Post
Status - IN! (fo sho)
Preference - Carne Asada
Ride - Out and back
Bike - Orange
Beverage - H2o in Camelback
Physical Shape - Ugly
Longevity - Beyond hope
Statistics - http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/yelrotflmao.gif
Arrival - Sometime after sunrise
Passenger - Spot Satellite Tracker
Destination - Whatever the GPS says!
Lunch - Wheelies in Palo Verde
Alternate - Chiriaco Summit
Gas - Same two as above
More? - No

BetaTrialsGuy, over and out
ALL the facts and none of the fluff! See you there Tom!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #55
bourkeco
Studly Adventurer

In!!!!

Can't wait to see you guys!!! There will be three of us this year! Bourkeco (Scott), Dave, Amy.. I will bring extra gas, some wood and food!! Asada is always good.. What else do you need Mike ?

I realized after 29 years of riding/racing that as much as I love motorcycles I had only tolerated ridding the bikes that I have owned. , untill I bought my GS now I have a hard time getting off the ramp to go to work.
- Me!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #56
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourkeco View Post
Can't wait to see you guys!!! There will be three of us this year! Bourkeco (Scott), Dave, Amy.. I will bring extra gas, some wood and food!! Asada is always good.. What else do you need Mike ?
Sounds good Scott! I think we have the bases covered as far as dinners. Pops is providing chili-cheese dogs Friday night and I am bringing carne asada for Sat night. Anything else is fair game.

I am looking forward to some good desert rides.

I can't wait for this weekend! See you soon.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
bourkeco
Studly Adventurer

Cool!!!

Dave and I will be there fri... morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheart View Post
Sounds good Scott! I think we have the bases covered as far as dinners. Pops is providing chili-cheese dogs Friday night and I am bringing carne asada for Sat night. Anything else is fair game.

I am looking forward to some good desert rides.

I can't wait for this weekend! See you soon.

- Me!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
HazMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
OK, so i have been sandbaggin' on this site for almost a year now.

Last week I finally got my bike sorted out (an '89 Transalp that had been in storage for almost 2 decades), so I jumped back on this forum to find out when the '12 Bradshaw Bombrun is so i don't miss it...

Next weekend? holy crap...

so here I am:

Me: just back on a bike after MANY years (skill level = Novice)
Bike: old, big, and low powered, but at least she has off road oriented tires (although not full on desert knobbies)
Equipment: all my camping gear is "family car camping" type (my only tent at this point is almost 80#)

so how about it? new rider on an old bike? I'd love to come out and meet everyone...

I'd have to ride out because my Wife needs the jeep this weekend. I have no luggage on the bike, but i'm sure i can strap on a sleeping bag and a backpack for clothes and some food.

Is anyone riding out Friday after work? I am in the Riverside area and would rather not do the trip to the camp alone.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #59
gearheart OP
Bombrun Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
so I jumped back on this forum to find out when the '12 Bradshaw Bombrun is so i don't miss it...

so how about it? new rider on an old bike? I'd love to come out and meet everyone...

Is anyone riding out Friday after work? I am in the Riverside area and would rather not do the trip to the camp alone.
C'mon out! I love Transalps, it will be good to have one in camp.

I am driving out and going through riverside with a rather empty flatbed trailer with one lonely bike on it... welcome to ride out with me. I can bring extra tie downs and we can meet up and throw your bike on if you want. Or we can meet up on the road and you can follow me the last bit out to ranch.

Mike Kern
714 seven one three 1841
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
HazMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks Gearhart!

What time are you headed out?
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote