Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 357
My journey to V2R and other racing nonsense

Well i figured with the prodding from a fellow rider, that its about time to start this thread. I'm not usually the type of person who talks about himself or what he has accomplished but i figured what the hell, no better time than now to start. Even though i've spent the majority of my life riding motorcycles and in my youth racing BMX, i never thought i would be actually be living my dream of desert racing. I grew up in the desert of California and always had a dirt bike but for the last 22 years i've lived in Utah and have spent most of my riding hours on the pavement. That is until a little over a year ago when my wife helped me buy an XR650r for my 40th birthday. That next spring i did my first desert race and i was sure i was going to die. I was completely unprepared. Up until that race i had been off road on the BRP maybe 4 times with each ride maybe 20 miles. But even though i left that race with a DNF and pain in every muscle, i stuck with it. I got back in touch with my old friends Frog and Fano, and with their help, I began riding faster and further and did 3 more USRA desert races and the BOR Jackpot 250 where i had a 3rd place finish. I was hooked on this desert thing, and even though the 650R is a great bike it was a lot of bike to throw around, so i sold it and bought a CRF450x.
The 450x i purchased was fortunately pretty well set up and in the past 4 months i've been busy trying to ride as much as possible, get familiar with the bike, and get the suspension dialed in. So with the new year and a more capable bike, and the fact i'm not getting any younger, i've decided to challenge myself and try for a solo V2R run this year and race smaller desert races mixed in starting this coming weekend with the USRA Rhino Rally. A fun little 77 mile race in St.George Utah.
I've also been trying to get as much support as possible. Right now i have the backing of Wrights Motorcycle which is a great local shop here in SLC which offers parts and service for any bike you may have, Lone Peak Packs who make great packs and panniers for the bicycling community but also make really nice durable hydration packs and are always willing to do custom orders, and MX1West who are a leading distributor of Acerbis riding gear and Mefo bibs which i plan on running for my upcoming year.
So thats basically it. Ride more, ride further, finish Vegas to Reno, and have fun. I will try to keep this thread updated with photos, bike prep info, and ride/race reports as much as possible and i welcome any comments or suggestions.
Thanks for reading.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote