Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #91
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
You sir, are an artisan in every sense of the word. I've wanted to make an enduro fairing for a while now, to try and solve the air flow issues and to mount my Navigator III above the dash so I don't have to look down to navigate. This has really been informative! Thank you!

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #92
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheRigger View Post
You sir, are an artisan in every sense of the word. I've wanted to make an enduro fairing for a while now, to try and solve the air flow issues and to mount my Navigator III above the dash so I don't have to look down to navigate. This has really been informative! Thank you!

Rob
Thanks Rob.

Unfortunately unless you have a access to a wind tunnel it`s hard to predict the influx of the fast moving air. I will say this..... You can generally diminish it somehow..... Might not be perfect...... But better. Then the real benefit comes in with the CF..... You can sculpt it to your own liking. Make exactly what you want. If/when you decide to go ahead.... Post it so I can help as you go along....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #93
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got this screen from a fellow friend and 8GS rider.....hacked it....and tried it. It`s a little bigger.....and I decided to strengthen the composite fairing with a strip of honey comb......I can now ride with the visor open......

Erling
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #94
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
like allways sweet
Thanks.....

Erling
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #95
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Today I had some time off.

Since the F658`s windprotection is nearly as bad, as german winters, I decided to copy your idea. Hope you don't mind - but now it's to late to ask anyway

I tried to get the orinial's screen contours (-> the funny looking lines in the center of the screen -> they WILL look better, once finished). Later I want to fit a clear windscreen, which shall be extendable.
Still, I haven't finishe my work yet. Have to do much other stuff, too.

greetings,
matti
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #96
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post

Since the F658`s windprotection is nearly as bad, as german winters, I decided to copy your idea. Hope you don't mind - but now it's to late to ask anyway :

I tried to get the orinial's screen contours (-> the funny looking lines in the center of the screen -> they WILL look better, once finished). Later I want to fit a clear windscreen, which shall be extendable.

greetings,
matti
I don't mind at all Matti.... I am thrilled my fairing has a Bavarian twin..... it looks great..... And as you mentioned..... Once sanded..... Will be fine. Please keep the pics comming, as it is great to see the progress.....

Erling
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #97
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post

Since the F658`s windprotection is nearly as bad, as german winters, I decided to copy your idea. Hope you don't mind - but now it's to late to ask anyway

greetings,
matti
How did the finished product turn out...?????

Erling
Old 03-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #98
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Laugh One more call for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Rode it this morning to the airport...... For the first time at 70+ mph......
I am quite familiar with the effect on energizing laminar air flow......But in a different application .....aviation. But today I have found new respect for it.
The screen is in the same position height, as when I just taped it to the screen. There are a lot difference. With the gap between the screen and fairing......( in the high pos.) the flow is a lot calmer...... I had somewhat calm air before....but with turbulence.... This have now been minimized. It is quite pleasant, and in many instances more pleasant than my tall Ztechnik.
I really think I have lucked out here.....but will take the score.......

Erling
I'm going down the same path, since I had an MRA screen thing once that worked that way and quite well. The whole MRA screen setup though was not big enough to give any serious wind protection but anyway...

I 've been experimenting with laminar air flow on my own screen project -we talked about it on "how to cover your f 800 in cf" thread- and trying out setups. Could you please tell me what is the distance between screen and fering on your setup?

Thanks.
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #99
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadi View Post
I'm going down the same path, since I had an MRA screen thing once that worked that way and quite well. The whole MRA screen setup though was not big enough to give any serious wind protection but anyway...

I 've been experimenting with laminar air flow on my own screen project -we talked about it on "how to cover your f 800 in cf" thread- and trying out setups. Could you please tell me what is the distance between screen and fering on your setup?

Thanks.
Absolutely.
I have 25mm distance between the CF faring, and the screen. Just enough for a little bit of air. I am 185 cm tall, and use , what you would refer to as, a tall seat. So I sit a bit taller on the bike as compared to average. Hope this helps. If not, fire away.

Erling
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #100
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
One err... two more questions before my finishing touches...

A. when you heat to cure the epoxy how long do you heat it and at what temp? I use a 3 halogon lamp heater about half a meter from the item that goes up to 60 Celsius (120to 130 F?) for about 2 hours. Is it enough? I have watched some sunbathing of your stuff... how do you calculate it?

B. Is there an safe and durable way to paint epoxy, at home (mo painting controled environment etc spraycan paint mostly)? I thought how come there is no color pownder to be mixed to the epoxy catalyst mixing stage to give it color and save it from scratcing?

Thanks again.
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #101
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadi View Post
A. when you heat to cure the epoxy how long do you heat it and at what temp? I use a 3 halogon lamp heater about half a meter from the item that goes up to 60 Celsius (120to 130 F?) for about 2 hours. Is it enough? I have watched some sunbathing of your stuff... how do you calculate it?

B. Is there an safe and durable way to paint epoxy, at home (mo painting controled environment etc spraycan paint mostly)? I thought how come there is no color pownder to be mixed to the epoxy catalyst mixing stage to give it color and save it from scratcing?

Thanks again.
You have to elevate it to at least 150 F......@ 6 hrs..... or 200 deg F for 2 hrs to be safe. 120-130 is not enough.
I use an infrared thermometer to measure it...and the hot desert sun yields about 140-160 F.

Painting epoxy is easy with any form of sprayer. No different than a car paintung. As far as spraying the epixy.... no you cannot do that.
pigment in the epoxy can be had...but you need to consult the maker of the epoxy to discuss it. Just because some epoxys might not tollerate it well.
The cure time varies from epoxy type to epoxy time.

Erling