Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,114
I went with the touratech. Anything from that company has been time tested.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,705
I have a Touratech on my HP2 and it is really stout and well thought out, I will be replacing my Twin headlight Ernie plate on the GSA because I don't believe it will hold up to a serious hit due to the thin material it is constructed of.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,139
This is a little ride from last fall after I'd installed the bdcw plate. (first vid. Sorry, can't embed)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=391

Not too bad with the bottoming out , though I managed to do it enough. The road before this one was nothing but baby head size rocks. What a bitch it was on the heavy ass gs.

I've been completely thrilled with the performance of the plate. To boot, its a breeze to remove for servicing. I've got buddies with the large BMW plate, and I really like the rubber sump piece. The TT is nice as well. Lots of good options it seems. If I had to do it over again I'd still spring for the extra cash and pick up the black dog plate.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback Adventures View Post
Thanks for the reply. As one door is closed, another has been opened. So, now the question is: is it better for the skidplate to break off upon impact or stick around?
I think whats most important is to avoid this. The BMW plate uses a form fitted absorption block between the stump and plate as well as sacrificial mounting bracket that should go a long way to help prevent breaking the engine case. Black Dog isolates these by attaching to a frame tube.

bemiiten screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 09:16 AM
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
well that doesnt look good

pete
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Semper Fi
Runs with Scissors

Oddometer: 872
Standby the BMW Big Plate

Low sided into a ditch and did this - if I had the smaller plate it would have been much much more

IBA #35651
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
Big Bad Ron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
Standby the BMW Big Plate

Low sided into a ditch and did this - if I had the smaller plate it would have been much much more

I have one exactly the same as this one. I banged out the skid plate put it back on, Than I bought a used header off flea market and hang it on the wall, when I go to see it I will put the new (to me) header on.

Ron
Big Bad Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
Flashback Adventures OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ooh Baby it's a wild world

After seeing all the scary pics posted here, I took out a third mortgage and ordered the BDCW skid plate and extra life insurance. Thanks for the valuable feedback, ya'll.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
Flashback Adventures OP
Adventurer

Bdcw

BTW, re BDCW as an FYI the matching center stand cover is on backorder which sucks IMHO.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
monkeydad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Bmw

I put a BMW Adventure bash plate on my standard GS.

As the late Davey Jones once sang..... and I'm sure it was about the BMW Adventure bash plate

"Aaaaaaaahhhh'm a believer"

While two up on a dirt road in teh Coronado Forest in southern AZ some washes stared to come through the road. They were pretty wide, and smooth so I kept my speed up around 50-55.

One dip looked deeper, so I stood up to look into it as I approached. Uh oh. Huge sheep's head rock in my path. Too late to brake, I moved over enough to miss the wheels, but the bike bottomed out right onto that sheep's head with a mighty "crack".

Thinking I really broke something and expecting an oil leak... I stopped to look. The bash plate had a two good creases, and a small crack in the aluminum. Very small.

The aluminum is thick, the rubber pad distributes the impact and the mounts are sturdy.

We smacked into that rock very hard. The impact was loud and physically jarring. The bash plate did a perfect job.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
Flashback Adventures OP
Adventurer

Jah-bless, you skirted a fall there. So, if the BMW skid plate took the impact and cracked in the process, do they make something that protects the skid plate from impact? I think Touratech makes a skid plate reinforcement plate. but then what protects the reinforcement plate? Where does the protection stop?

Anyway, my point is that if your protection needs protection itself, then maybe it is not protecting much in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydad View Post
I put a BMW Adventure bash plate on my standard GS.

As the late Davey Jones once sang..... and I'm sure it was about the BMW Adventure bash plate

"Aaaaaaaahhhh'm a believer"

While two up on a dirt road in teh Coronado Forest in southern AZ some washes stared to come through the road. They were pretty wide, and smooth so I kept my speed up around 50-55.

One dip looked deeper, so I stood up to look into it as I approached. Uh oh. Huge sheep's head rock in my path. Too late to brake, I moved over enough to miss the wheels, but the bike bottomed out right onto that sheep's head with a mighty "crack".

Thinking I really broke something and expecting an oil leak... I stopped to look. The bash plate had a two good creases, and a small crack in the aluminum. Very small.

The aluminum is thick, the rubber pad distributes the impact and the mounts are sturdy.

We smacked into that rock very hard. The impact was loud and physically jarring. The bash plate did a perfect job.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #27
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
skid plate

I just installed the Jesse skid plate. $195. I tried to buy the Wunderlich but they were back ordered. The Jesse is made of 3.4mm aluminum and used larger rubber shock absorbers in the mounting.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
IRKNRL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Irknrl

I went with a skid plate from AltRider,I got from from Chad at Adventure Designs in Hayward Ca.It's aluminum,but it has a corrugated design for strength.The "wrap" around design protects your header and connector,plus it doesn't weigh a ton.

2011 GSA
IRKNRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Anyway, my point is that if your protection needs protection itself, then maybe it is not protecting much in the first place.
Bash plates should be considered sacrificial. Would you rather crack a $300 aluminum plate or a $$$ engine case?

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Bash plates should be considered sacrificial. Would you rather crack a $300 aluminum plate or a $$$ engine case?
X2

I have already sacrificed the small stock plate and am in the process of installing a BMW Adv. plate, as soon as the weather warm up a little.

A little damage to the filter, but could have been worse.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote