ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #2266
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I know that this may not be the perfect place to ask this question but, does the Oregon have the same amout of problems as the Montana? It seems like there are a lot of people that have to send the Montana back to get another one that works. I just read where h8's Chains is on his third one now.
The Oregon is a great unit, but it has two big issues.
1. the screen is too dim, not too bad if you run the backlight all the time but,
2. the only way to hook up external power is through the mini usb jack which is too fragile.

The jack will fail if you try to use it on a dirt bike. that's why I have a Montana and my Oregon is my spare. :)

JT
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2267
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThompson View Post
2. the only way to hook up external power is through the mini usb jack which is too fragile.

The jack will fail if you try to use it on a dirt bike. that's why I have a Montana and my Oregon is my spare. :)

JT
the proper mount for your dirtbike that runs power to it is only $32.00. NO reason to power it off a USB cable

But I was going to put my Delorme PN40 on ebay. I see they are bringing maybe $150.00 with all the software and Kit. I figured Why take a $600 GPS out on the dirt bike when you have the PN40 already setup on the bike. The PN40 went back onto the shelf waiting for spring.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #2268
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
the proper mount for your dirtbike that runs power to it is only $32.00. NO reason to power it off a USB cable

But I was going to put my Delorme PN40 on ebay. I see they are bringing maybe $150.00 with all the software and Kit. I figured Why take a $600 GPS out on the dirt bike when you have the PN40 already setup on the bike. The PN40 went back onto the shelf waiting for spring.
I think you misread my post, but if not, please show me the $32 powered mount for the Oregon.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #2269
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Yup, that's what mine did. I figured it was normal to return to the recreation profile after the reset. Then when I went to go back to the automotive profile that's when I realized that because I had done a soft reset while in the automotive profile it reloaded that profile with the recreation configuration.

I even restored the unit to v. 3.40 and it did not change it. I then updated it back to v. 3.90 and still it had not fixed it. I thought that would have done it since the profile file sizes are different between 3.40 and 3.90. I suspect the original factory profiles are stored in EPROM and loaded at the factory but there is no backup on the unit in ROM to fall back on.

Never having played around with XML I'll not mess with it. If you come up with something let us know.

As far as editing the original profile settings, sure you can change them just like you would if you create a new profile and then change the settings.

Jon...
One good use for the Montana Share would be to put the Factory Profiles on there for those that had to discover the hard way what happens when you do a Reset/Master Reset. So, I have put the original Factory Profiles on the Share. What I want to know is, why you guys didn't backup the files on your Montana before you started playing around? Lesson learned I suppose, eh?

Oh, and when the Reset message says "Delete All User Data", it is only talking about "User Settings" not your personal data you transferred to the unit. Don't know why Garmin has stuck with such and ambiguous message.

I know I've written this in this forum and a few others but the proper procedure for doing a Master Reset or any Reset is:
  1. Backup your files!!!
  2. Remove the µSD Card.
  3. Turn unit back on and set the Profile to Recreation
  4. Turn unit off.
  5. Master Reset - hold UPPER LEFTHAND CORNER and Power ON. Continue holding screen until the Message appears.
  6. After reboot takes place select your Language preference.
  7. Turn Off unit and replace your µSD card.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 07:20 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #2270
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
I think you misread my post, but if not, please show me the $32 powered mount for the Oregon.
I wish that existed, but alas it does not.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #2271
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 685
Dan, I'm still wondering what your "Auto Rotation" shortcut does exactly.
BTW- Thanks for putting the original profiles in the Share file.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #2272
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Dan, I'm still wondering what your "Auto Rotation" shortcut does exactly.
BTW- Thanks for putting the original profiles in the Share file.
I have two "Rotation" Shortcuts. A "Portrait-locking" Shortcut and the "Auto-Rotation" Shortcut. The Auto Rotation shortcut simple places the Montana back in that mode if it is been set to a "Lock" position. I use these when I'm riding off-road - "Portrait-lock" to keep the screen in Portrait mode when it's rough and. . .well, it's obvious.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #2273
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Your correct, I read it to fast and missed you were talking about the Oregon. Sorry. The montana amps rugged mount is $32.95.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #2274
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
One good use for the Montana Share would be to put the Factory Profiles on there for those that had to discover the hard way what happens when you do a Reset/Master Reset. So, I have put the original Factory Profiles on the Share. What I want to know is, why you guys didn't backup the files on your Montana before you started playing around? Lesson learned I suppose, eh?
  1. Backup your files!!!
  2. Remove the µSD Card.
  4. Turn unit off.
  5. Master Reset - hold UPPER LEFTHAND CORNER and Power ON. Continue holding screen until the Message appears.

Cheers,
Both of us were in a condition where the montana would not boot so we could change the profile back to Recreation before doing the master reset.

For motorcycle riding, I did setup the motorcycle profile the way I wanted it, then saveed it as ADV. But when mine needed to be "master reset" it was stuck in the automobile profile. I even copied my backed up version of the auto profile back onto the Montana and it still would not boot. Then I removed the automotive profile from GPS and tried to start it, still stuck. Plug it back in and surprisingly there was another automotive profile in the directory (even though I had deleted it).

Oh well.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #2275
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Oh, and when the Reset message says "Delete All User Data", it is only talking about "User Settings" not your personal data you transferred to the unit. Don't know why Garmin has stuck with such and ambiguous message.

I know I've written this in this forum and a few others but the proper procedure for doing a Master Reset or any Reset is:
  1. Backup your files!!!
  2. Remove the µSD Card.
  4. Turn unit off.

Cheers,
I totally agree, and that's what I did to return it to factory.

I sometimes do not explain myself very well....I blame it on old age

My point was I feel there should be a way to restore the unit back to factory (when it came out of the box) without having to go through the backup/restore process on the computer. The reason I feel the Master Reset should put it all the way back to when it came out of the box is what if the end user only read the owners manual and/or never knew to make a backup and messed it up. Someone like my wife would have been out of luck and at the mercy of tech support. Also it would save tech support a lot of hassle if all they had to do was instruct the end user on how to do the Master Reset instead of walking them through all the steps to reconfigure the profile settings.

Anyway, I/we have beat this thing to death and I value the contribution you and others have made to supporting the Montana so apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

With all that said......

For those that are interested, here are the steps I took to bring my 650 back to "out of box" config....

Flash back to 3.40
Delete all files on the unit.
Restore (copy back) all files from my clean backup I had made when I first turned it on.

** That restored it back to fresh out of the box **

I then did the following...

Update back to Ver 3.90

Next step will be to reinstall City Navigator North America NT 2012

Oh, I hope that from all I have posted lately that I have not given the impression that I think the Montana is a bad GPS. I like it and it has a lot of features that I'm sure will come in handy once I get a chance to really use it out in the real world and stop messing around with it like I have been doing

Sorry for being so long winded,

Jon...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #2276
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Reinstalling CNNA

Well shoot, I just tried to reinstall CNNA 2012 from CD and it's telling me my Product Key is not valid

I double checked my account on the MyGarmin site and I have the correct codes. I had done the free update and tried that code with the same results. I even tried re-downloading the update using the code for it but that also gave me an error.

Since I had made a backup I copied over the map file .img and the .gma file and CNNA 2012 loads.

But I wonder why I could not re-install off my disk or download the update.

Any thoughts why?

Edit
: Are there any other files that need to be restored? I seem to remember a lot more stuff got installed on the unit when I first installed CNNA.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 12:32 PM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #2277
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Nice clean install

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #2278
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Nice clean install

Jon...
But it is upsidedown. Isn't the security screw tough to get to? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #2279
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Well with it being "rugged" I would think it would handle water fine. Having it upside down would drive me nuts.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #2280
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Well with it being "rugged" I would think it would handle water fine. Having it upside down would drive me nuts.
I think I might have suggested that having the connectors up would prevent water from pooling into the area, but I run mine in Portrait mode so there's no danger of water pooling on the connectors that way.

Having the mount upside down would annoy me too, and if the mount fails from water, then 1 - it's under warranty for a year and 2 - it's cheap.

I'd just buy another if it failed.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote