Oddometer: 759
2013 streety

its the new street triple due out end of next year

Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #332
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 493
Long Distance Question

I have an 07 Tiger 1050 which is "all day" comfy. I traded out handlebars and made some adjustments among other things. Extremely happy with the Tiger (coming off 7 yrs of all iterations of the GS) but since witnessing first hand the "weight and power" difference between the Striple and 1050 Tiger I'm thinking "light is right".

Problem is I rode a Striple "R" for 15 minutes and can't stop thinking about it so I started looking at 2011 or 12 units. The majority of my riding here in Northern Cal is 1 or 2 day jaunts, mostly in the twisties but some crappy slab too. This thing feels like a bicycle in the twisties and I can't get it out of my head.

My question to you all is, ( I am 56 yrs old, 6' tall 32 inseam, 200 lbs. have ridden on and off road my whole life )...... how about longer trips? 3 to 4 days maybe more. I have exhausted the fairing, luggage etc. availability and am happy with what I can do in that respect. Tank bag and rear trunk or 2 (soft or hard). I travel fairly light and Twisted Throttle has excellent choices. From what I have read the fly and wind screen give you clean air up to and over 100 (which I rarely see, usually in the 80's on slab) Wondering about comfort. I want an R, so the suspension will be great. Is the cockpit to tight? Must you move to a Sargent or Corbin for real comfort. Is there enough leg room and if not are there "lowering or extending" kits for the pegs? I would more than likely raise the bars a tad.

So what do you think? I think I can get the wind off my chest and have clean air thru the helmet with the above mentioned fly and shield but wondering about the "arse and legs" for longer trips when slabbing especially with the "shorter" wheel base.

Let the comments begin !
Thanks in advance...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #333
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I've done several weekend trips on mine, definately consider getting a Sargent seat, love mine. I have just the flyscreen, no visor. Wind buffeting is not annoying until around 80 mph, then you notice it. Tight-fitting gear and good helmet really make a difference so not to act like a sail. Great bike - will help keep you young. A Goldwing it is not, it is a naked bike and thus not much for utilarian use, but you learn to make do. Look at getting a Kreiga US20 tail pack and a good tankbag, like the Triumph one and you'll be good to go.
scootertrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #334
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 493
Long Distance Question

Thanks. Are you near my dimensions? Kind of important.

Ten four on the "nakedness" that's why I'm interested to hear about "ergo's".

Thought I would add the Triumph seat tail bag (does the one for my Tiger work on the Trip?) and a rack from Twisted from which you could perch another soft or hard bag. That along with Triumphs tank bag you should be good for a week.

Sargent sure are "proud" of that seat!!!!!
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #335
Lee Gunn
Thrilled to the CORE

Oddometer: 3,385
More regulator/rectifier hell

I've been riding my street triple - known as "Keith" since 2009 - on my way home from work - peak hour, five lane highway, 80 kms, i looked down at my instrument panel and it was blank - thought that's not good!!!!! Seconds later the engine died and I found myself in highway hell. Pulled in the clutch and rolled to a stop in the pushbike lane.

@#$% - uphill, 30 degress, peak hour hell - @##%
Knew I couldn't leave Keith on the side of the road - there was only a shear wall, I started pushing - of course the bike track ran out and i was stuck with only a few inches of curbing - not good

20 minutes later I got to a service station - caught a taxi home and arranged to pick him up with the trailer

AND THEN I STARTED INVESTIGATING

Well its a fairly well known problem this regulator rectifier failure issue - several days of negotiating with Peter Stevens and i was able to get a replacement unit under good will as the warrenty run out months before.

so bike back on the road

BUT

went over the bike to ensure everything was done up tight and they hadn't tightened the top shock absorber bolt - it was finger tight- the whole thing could have dropped out from under me while I was riding - I can not begin to imagine what that could mean.....

anyway - check your bike voltage - you should be getting 14.2 volts when the bike is running on idle (I was getting 12.2 volts).

If the rectifier isn't working you can burn your stator out - so the sooner you catch this known problem the better.

tEaM gUnN
Lee Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #336
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Need tires, looking for opinions and suggestions

Leaning towards either the Pilot Road 2 or 3 (3 looks only better in the rain) or possibly the Dunlop Q2's I know the q2's are a different compound.

Anyone have experience with either? How do they compare to the stock Qualifiers? Longevity, handling.

HV Tag-o-Rama Grab Map
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #337
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccc View Post
Leaning towards either the Pilot Road 2 or 3 (3 looks only better in the rain) or possibly the Dunlop Q2's I know the q2's are a different compound.

Anyone have experience with either? How do they compare to the stock Qualifiers? Longevity, handling.
I'm going to be due for new tires before too long as well. Lots of people love the PR3s, had PR2s on my FZ6 and loved them, but I don't care for the looks. Silly reason, I know, but they just look funny. I am leaning towards Bridgestone BT-016 Pros. I'm more concerned with connection to the road than longevity. And, generally, the only wet road riding I do is when I get caught in a sudden downpour.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #338
VirginiaCreeper
Needs another bike

Oddometer: 7
Great conversation here guys.

On your question Jccc, go with the Q2s. I can't speak for the Michelins, but I have went through multiple sets of Qualifiers and Q2s. As far as mileage, I've managed well over 6,000 miles on both. As far as handling, the Q2's front is quite pointy (V shaped) in comparison to Qualifiers and others, so turn in is telepathic. Once you're leaned over, there's a softer compound and a huge contact patch waiting for you. Considering the price, I can't think of a reason not to get the Q2's for any sporty bike. Oh, wait, yes I can. Rain. I don't know how fast you like to go in the rain, but I tend to grow my margin of safety when the road is wet. I would assume the Pilot Roads would be better in the wet since they have larger sipes. Given that, I had no problems with wet traction.
VirginiaCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #339
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:

I'm running the PR3s. I have about 9000 miles on them and they have plenty of tread left, at least another 3-4k.
I don't do track days, but do get after it once in a while and the tires are definitely capable. Wet traction is very good to excellent, especially when compared to the OEM tires. I will be purchasing the same tires when these wear out. Hope that helps
riceaterslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #340
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
Thanks. Are you near my dimensions? Kind of important.

Ten four on the "nakedness" that's why I'm interested to hear about "ergo's".

Thought I would add the Triumph seat tail bag (does the one for my Tiger work on the Trip?) and a rack from Twisted from which you could perch another soft or hard bag. That along with Triumphs tank bag you should be good for a week.

Sargent sure are "proud" of that seat!!!!!
I'm 5'-9" tall. I don't think the tail pack for the Tiger is the same as the Triumph tail pack for the Striple. Get the Kreiga tail bag anyway, you can fit more in it. No doubt your Tiger is more comfy, the Striple is basically a full-on sportbike with a handlebar. Yes, the Sargent is worth it!
scootertrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #341
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:

You are one two ends of the spectrum there.

Road 2s are sort touring tires and Q2s are damn near DOT race tires....like real close. Unless you are riding an intermediate pace on a track the Road2s are sufficient for near anything. Road 3s are supposed to be better in the traction department, but lower longevity. I've watched guys chew the sides of the Q2 in two track days flat, but that isn't unusual, you would expect the same from a DRC or Power Pure...and those are the tires in the class with the Q.

Basically a lot of guys get WAY to much tire for their application, and while I'm sure the tire companies love you for it, it gets hard on the wallet replacing $240 rear tires every 4000 miles.

Believe it or not I got 5,600 miles and 4 trackdays out of the stock Super Corsa SPs that came on my Daytona which I'm still pretty impressed with. But really it depends on what you are doing. Getting a top shelf trackday tire is just trowing money down the rabbit hole if you aren't taking the bike to the track, and the sport touring tires (Road 2/3, Sportmax/Angel. etc) actually off better performance at street speeds because you actually get them up to temperature.

Something you are going to be hard pressed to do with track rubber that is designed to radiate off heat.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #342
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165

bought this about a year ago, got her fixed up and running ok, should I have kept saving and shopping and bought a 2nd gen?????
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #343
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,946
Bump

Few riders wax rhapsodic about the experience of riding the street triple. Maybe it's just modern bikes, but I never had a bike that is so invisible while riding. I need to look down to see rpm's or speed on this thing. Otherwise, I just crank the gas and make it go. It's intuitive.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #344
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Few riders wax rhapsodic about the experience of riding the street triple. Maybe it's just modern bikes, but I never had a bike that is so invisible while riding. I need to look down to see rpm's or speed on this thing. Otherwise, I just crank the gas and make it go. It's intuitive.
Actually I find lot of people "wax rhapsodic" about the Street Triple. It seems to have nothing but absolute raves in the press. I LOVE mine!

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #345
CDTSTR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Re: Long Distance Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
I have an 07 Tiger 1050 which is "all day" comfy. I traded out handlebars and made some adjustments among other things. Extremely happy with the Tiger (coming off 7 yrs of all iterations of the GS) but since witnessing first hand the "weight and power" difference between the Striple and 1050 Tiger I'm thinking "light is right".

Problem is I rode a Striple "R" for 15 minutes and can't stop thinking about it so I started looking at 2011 or 12 units. The majority of my riding here in Northern Cal is 1 or 2 day jaunts, mostly in the twisties but some crappy slab too. This thing feels like a bicycle in the twisties and I can't get it out of my head.

My question to you all is, ( I am 56 yrs old, 6' tall 32 inseam, 200 lbs. have ridden on and off road my whole life )...... how about longer trips? 3 to 4 days maybe more. I have exhausted the fairing, luggage etc. availability and am happy with what I can do in that respect. Tank bag and rear trunk or 2 (soft or hard). I travel fairly light and Twisted Throttle has excellent choices. From what I have read the fly and wind screen give you clean air up to and over 100 (which I rarely see, usually in the 80's on slab) Wondering about comfort. I want an R, so the suspension will be great. Is the cockpit to tight? Must you move to a Sargent or Corbin for real comfort. Is there enough leg room and if not are there "lowering or extending" kits for the pegs? I would more than likely raise the bars a tad.

So what do you think? I think I can get the wind off my chest and have clean air thru the helmet with the above mentioned fly and shield but wondering about the "arse and legs" for longer trips when slabbing especially with the "shorter" wheel base.

Let the comments begin !
Thanks in advance...

I don't usually don't say much on here but I have some experience with a Street Triple R. I have had mine since new in '09 and must say that it is a wonderful machine. My suggestion, is to have both if you can afford them. Personally, I have the STR and a Tiger 800 XC. I have done 3 day weekends on the STR and after the third day my butt needs a couch.

Now, I'm about the same size as you, 6'0, 32 inch inseam and about 210 - 220 lbs. I agree that the bars need to come up a bit so I changed my bars from the stock ones to a set of Tag bars that have a more practical bend for my wrists and rotated them up a bit. I bought the Triumph tank bag, Triumph tailpack and a set of soft sport bags for trips. This seems to have enough room for weekend trips. I have also put on the SW Motech rack and plate to fit a Coocase 48, this gave me room for 2 full face helmets. I eventually took the Coocase off and put it on the Tiger.

As for wind, well I figured that if I'm going to have an unfaired bike that I'm going to have to get used to it. So I only bought the flyscreen and not the windscreen.

The Street Triple is the most fun bike I've ever owned aside from track bikes. This machine has the abilty to act like a hooligan or be a nice ride in the country looking at the scenery. I think if you were to buy one you would not regret it but like I said maybe keep the Tiger.