Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #11311
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
H...
Have any of you seen a serious decrease in mileage since the Recall Map install?
Deano,

The new map ups the idle speed (more fuel) very slightly at a few points, from what I remember. The other thing is the Arrow or any other freer exhaust will need to run a bit richer to keep the air/fuel mix where it wants it to be -- this should be a bit offset by any power gains as well as you easing off a bit if you are at all shy about the louder noise.

All in all a slight decrease comes with an upgraded exhaust, assuming you aren't suddenly caning it in lower gears to hear the sound. Something like 5-10 miles less per tank or so? If you're getting a huge drop, for the same ride and riding style, then something else is going on. Bad fuel, dirty air filter, low tyre pressure, forgot about the 80kg of baggage and equipment you added, etc.

I ride my XC "everywhere" from mud that lands me on my back in shame to lane splitting between cars so close I hit them if I leave a pillion peg down to riding those hours of highway just to get home on time. This bike gets MUCH more mileage iif you take it relatively easy on the low speed fun fun fun stuff and just get it into high gear and low revs as soon as possible. On the twisties here where the peed limit is 80 and you do mostly 80-90 having a nice ride without stopping, if you're like me you get over 200 miles but the light's on for the last bit. (I do it in kms so my light comes on at say 290 kms and I have another 60 or so left even though whenever I get to 300 kms on a tank it's rare as I generaly plan better.) Same bike, same rider / tres / tune / can / load etc, commuting into Melbourne slipping the clutch thru cars with red lights and traffic galore, the light comes on at 180 or 190 and I ride it to 220-240 or so.

I've only owned Triumph triples (4 of them) since I got off my learner's permit, so I'm not sure if this applies to all bikes but it does apply to Rocket IIIs, Street Triples, and Tiger XC's.

Bottom line, if you're riding in 6th on the highway and not getting 200 miles out of a tank, something is wrong. Tyres, Fuel, Mechanic -- all of the above?

Good luck!
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #11312
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
You say you are from Denver, what altitude you ride in most? Maybe a combination of the arrow map/ high altitude and malfunctioning sensor causes this high gas mileage.
Very good catch. I know high altitude had an effect on ME when I was in Denver... Not to mention the traffic is horrible, but at least they drove bloody fast there in the 80's. Maybe it's just hard yakka to keep up with em!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #11313
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I was comming home from Reno Nv. today and about 5 miles south of Janesville headed north on hwy 395, my Tiger 800XC decided to eat a Rooster pheasant. The pheasant hit my windshield and headlight (lucky me) and tore the windshield clear off the bike. The bolts that go into the headlight shroud broke out as did the three mounts. As near as I can figure it is going to be about $500.00 in parts alone!!!!! When I saw the Pheasant, I thought my number was up, but my Tiger defended me and took the hit for me. I was doing 70mph, I don't know what the physics of a 5lb. bird hit at 70 mph is but I'm sure it would have been painfull. So it's Tiger 1-- Pheasant 0 .
Good job keeping your cool while your front dash disintegrated into bits all over you... I can say a LORIKEET (this one was about the size of a red-breasted robin with a longer body) hitting me felt like someone whacked me with a soap on a rope, so a pheasant which would be several times more massive would be a serious hit!

My tiger likes to eat sunsets, views off the side of the mountain, and for roughage it consumes a bit of foliage when I get off the trail a bit. Cleans it's teeth with full front suspension travel and washes it all down at the BP station.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #11314
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Many years back I remember a gentleman walked into our shop with 2 broken arms and bandaged everywhere,
he had hit a pheasant at highway speed square in the chest, it took him off the back of the bike.
The Harley he was riding was quite the mess, not the first, or last time I have seen a Harley in the back of a truck.
Fallacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #11315
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I was comming home from Reno Nv. today and about 5 miles south of Janesville headed north on hwy 395, my Tiger 800XC decided to eat a Rooster pheasant. The pheasant hit my windshield and headlight (lucky me) and tore the windshield clear off the bike. The bolts that go into the headlight shroud broke out as did the three mounts. As near as I can figure it is going to be about $500.00 in parts alone!!!!! When I saw the Pheasant, I thought my number was up, but my Tiger defended me and took the hit for me. I was doing 70mph, I don't know what the physics of a 5lb. bird hit at 70 mph is but I'm sure it would have been painfull. So it's Tiger 1-- Pheasant 0 .
I'm glad you're OK! Imagining the possible outcomes, I'd say you have some pretty "good" bad luck!
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #11316
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
glad your ok, did you at least take the pheasant home and eat it?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #11317
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #11318
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
bummer, at least you would have had a good dinner. last year on the opening day of turkey season i was driving to work at about 7am. i already had my turkey tags for the season. i had just gotten on the highway and i saw a turkey out of the corner of my eye. it started to take flight right before crossing the highway. it didn't get high enough and got clipped by the car right in front of me. i immediately turned all of my lights on (my truck has work zone highway lights) and drove in to the median where the turkey was. he was still alive so i put him out of his misery. then thew him in the back of my truck, took him home, cleaned him, put him in the freezer and was at work by 8. then we ate him for easter. it was awesome!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #11319
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Hey all, joining your club - just put down a deposit on an orange 800XC, should have it in a couple weeks.

Been reading here and elsewhere for a while, so I'm narrowing down the farkle list. However, on the maintenance front - one question I've not seen asked is how folks go about lifting the bike. Is there a consensus on whether it's wise to lift from the skid plate, given there's no frame down there? I've got the yellow Sears aluminum lift that has worked great on every other bike I've owned, but this is the first bike joining my stable that doesn't have gobs of steel support down there. Current plans are to add the SW Motech plate, if that makes a difference.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #11320
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Hey all, joining your club - just put down a deposit on an orange 800XC, should have it in a couple weeks.

Been reading here and elsewhere for a while, so I'm narrowing down the farkle list. However, on the maintenance front - one question I've not seen asked is how folks go about lifting the bike. Is there a consensus on whether it's wise to lift from the skid plate, given there's no frame down there? I've got the yellow Sears aluminum lift that has worked great on every other bike I've owned, but this is the first bike joining my stable that doesn't have gobs of steel support down there. Current plans are to add the SW Motech plate, if that makes a difference.
centerstand is the best way to lift .Make it a point to negotiate that item into the deal.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #11321
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
centerstand is the best way to lift .Make it a point to negotiate that item into the deal.
10% off any accessories for a year, so a bit of a break on that if I want. However, it's backordered until June at a minimum according to my dealer.

Regardless, while I'll probably pick one up - I don't view a CS as a 100% replacement for a lift, so I'm still interested in feedback on whether others use one or not.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #11322
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
10% off any accessories for a year, so a bit of a break on that if I want. However, it's backordered until June at a minimum according to my dealer.

Regardless, while I'll probably pick one up - I don't view a CS as a 100% replacement for a lift, so I'm still interested in feedback on whether others use one or not.

This is my system for doing chain maintenance.
Needed to hold the front down. I set the lift at the support point or attachment location of the composite skid plate.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #11323
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,402
I use this when washing the bike (every ride) and when doing chain maintenance etc. Harbor Freight. To use it you need some paddock bobbins available at www.madss.com, <$30.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #11324
fbj913
I ride

I have ben having a problem with my hands buzzing when riding this bike so I tried a little trick... Here is the after math.

I filled my handlebars with lead shot. I had a little too much to drink last night and almost started cutting open the box of steel shot. Luckily I realized it. I went on a quick test ride to see if I could tell a difference in my buzz bars. It did feel better but a long trip shall tell the real story... And for the record I don't think a lot of people are having this problem. I have an issue with my wrist so it could be making it worse that it really is. I just thought I would throw that in so everyone doesn't start freaking out like the triumph side luggage epidemic.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #11325
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Lead shot is a good idea that I have used on a few bikes but it will be cheaper and safer if you just buy the loose shot.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote