Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #11311
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Hey all,

Forgive me if this has been covered in the last several hundred pages since I've checked in, but my XC went from around 50mpg to 30-35 mpg since the recall map was installed last November. I thought it might have been a fluke when my Thanksgiving trip across Kansas netted me 130-160 miles out of a tank full of gas. I recently started riding the bike again here at home and the mileage just plain sucks!

I've got an appointment with my dealer, here we go again/ sigh, to see if they can find anything wrong with my Shop Queen. Talking with the Service Manager he says that the new map is "a bit fat" but they don't have the map prior to this one, so they will have to fiddle about to see if they can find anything wrong. The bike has the Arrow can on it with the cork installed for quietness.

Any words of wisdom/ experience???

Thanks

Have any of you seen a serious decrease in mileage since the Recall Map install?
Quote:
My bike runs great despite the terrible mileage. I do not suspect anything wrong like vacuum leaks or timing issues. It's smooth, just really thirsty.
There's nothing wrong with your bike. I've experienced the same thing but average more like upper 38-40 mpg. It's the Arrow pipe tune. When the new tune was released my dealer mistakenly installed the tune for the stock can. I rode it like that for awhile and was getting mileage in the mid to upper 40's. I installed the correct tune with TuneECU and noticed a drop in mileage right away but much better running. The tune for the stock can is way too lean for the Arrow IMO.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #11312
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Considering the arrow is of legal sound levels why not just buy a Leo, Remus or, akra pipe (all used with inserts in)
which are made compatible with the standard tune? my average mpg is at 51.3 after my 1st 5 tanks.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #11313
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Considering the arrow is of legal sound levels why not just buy a Leo, Remus or, akra pipe (all used with inserts in)
which are made compatible with the standard tune? my average mpg is at 51.3 after my 1st 5 tanks.
You could get away with running the standard tune in just about any exhaust without sacrificing fuel economy but at the expense of performance and the bike running smoothly. I have a Leo Vince on the way and I'm considering adjusting the fuel tables so I meet somewhere in between the standard and arrow tables.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #11314
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
You could get away with running the standard tune in just about any exhaust without sacrificing fuel economy but at the expense of performance and the bike running smoothly. I have a Leo Vince on the way and I'm considering adjusting the fuel tables so I meet somewhere in between the standard and arrow tables.
Whatever you do post some impressions of the pipe once you've had some experience with it. Seems like the best deal amongst the quality brands.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #11315
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Ahh yeah I think I'll keep my Arrow, I don't have a problem with the fuel mileage.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #11316
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Bluhduh Tiger vs Pheasant

I was comming home from Reno Nv. today and about 5 miles south of Janesville headed north on hwy 395, my Tiger 800XC decided to eat a Rooster pheasant. The pheasant hit my windshield and headlight (lucky me) and tore the windshield clear off the bike. The bolts that go into the headlight shroud broke out as did the three mounts. As near as I can figure it is going to be about $500.00 in parts alone!!!!! When I saw the Pheasant, I thought my number was up, but my Tiger defended me and took the hit for me. I was doing 70mph, I don't know what the physics of a 5lb. bird hit at 70 mph is but I'm sure it would have been painfull. So it's Tiger 1-- Pheasant 0 .
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #11317
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1234 View Post
When I say minor, I would rather qualify the track itself. I was not jumping high like enduro.
You can check by yourself : this is my record : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuAcobGquP0
At the beginning of the track, I remember wavy ground and I played with, jumping of 10cm maybe. No big deal.
However, I have certainly had bad luck to fall on a hard stone rising on that corner. Flat ground there would probably not have damaged the guard like this.

I can forgive this guard to be damaged like this below, but I find the plates on the side too thin to make the whole structure being robust. They bent on pressure which is not normal to me.
I would have no problem keeping just the hit below. The sides bent just ruins the whole plate and I need to replace it.

13 minutes... Where's this stone you refer to, so I can skip all sleep-riding until I get to that part?
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #11318
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
H...
Have any of you seen a serious decrease in mileage since the Recall Map install?
Deano,

The new map ups the idle speed (more fuel) very slightly at a few points, from what I remember. The other thing is the Arrow or any other freer exhaust will need to run a bit richer to keep the air/fuel mix where it wants it to be -- this should be a bit offset by any power gains as well as you easing off a bit if you are at all shy about the louder noise.

All in all a slight decrease comes with an upgraded exhaust, assuming you aren't suddenly caning it in lower gears to hear the sound. Something like 5-10 miles less per tank or so? If you're getting a huge drop, for the same ride and riding style, then something else is going on. Bad fuel, dirty air filter, low tyre pressure, forgot about the 80kg of baggage and equipment you added, etc.

I ride my XC "everywhere" from mud that lands me on my back in shame to lane splitting between cars so close I hit them if I leave a pillion peg down to riding those hours of highway just to get home on time. This bike gets MUCH more mileage iif you take it relatively easy on the low speed fun fun fun stuff and just get it into high gear and low revs as soon as possible. On the twisties here where the peed limit is 80 and you do mostly 80-90 having a nice ride without stopping, if you're like me you get over 200 miles but the light's on for the last bit. (I do it in kms so my light comes on at say 290 kms and I have another 60 or so left even though whenever I get to 300 kms on a tank it's rare as I generaly plan better.) Same bike, same rider / tres / tune / can / load etc, commuting into Melbourne slipping the clutch thru cars with red lights and traffic galore, the light comes on at 180 or 190 and I ride it to 220-240 or so.

I've only owned Triumph triples (4 of them) since I got off my learner's permit, so I'm not sure if this applies to all bikes but it does apply to Rocket IIIs, Street Triples, and Tiger XC's.

Bottom line, if you're riding in 6th on the highway and not getting 200 miles out of a tank, something is wrong. Tyres, Fuel, Mechanic -- all of the above?

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #11319
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
You say you are from Denver, what altitude you ride in most? Maybe a combination of the arrow map/ high altitude and malfunctioning sensor causes this high gas mileage.
Very good catch. I know high altitude had an effect on ME when I was in Denver... Not to mention the traffic is horrible, but at least they drove bloody fast there in the 80's. Maybe it's just hard yakka to keep up with em!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #11320
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I was comming home from Reno Nv. today and about 5 miles south of Janesville headed north on hwy 395, my Tiger 800XC decided to eat a Rooster pheasant. The pheasant hit my windshield and headlight (lucky me) and tore the windshield clear off the bike. The bolts that go into the headlight shroud broke out as did the three mounts. As near as I can figure it is going to be about $500.00 in parts alone!!!!! When I saw the Pheasant, I thought my number was up, but my Tiger defended me and took the hit for me. I was doing 70mph, I don't know what the physics of a 5lb. bird hit at 70 mph is but I'm sure it would have been painfull. So it's Tiger 1-- Pheasant 0 .
Good job keeping your cool while your front dash disintegrated into bits all over you... I can say a LORIKEET (this one was about the size of a red-breasted robin with a longer body) hitting me felt like someone whacked me with a soap on a rope, so a pheasant which would be several times more massive would be a serious hit!

My tiger likes to eat sunsets, views off the side of the mountain, and for roughage it consumes a bit of foliage when I get off the trail a bit. Cleans it's teeth with full front suspension travel and washes it all down at the BP station.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #11321
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Many years back I remember a gentleman walked into our shop with 2 broken arms and bandaged everywhere,
he had hit a pheasant at highway speed square in the chest, it took him off the back of the bike.
The Harley he was riding was quite the mess, not the first, or last time I have seen a Harley in the back of a truck.
Fallacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #11322
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I'm glad you're OK! Imagining the possible outcomes, I'd say you have some pretty "good" bad luck!
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #11323
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
glad your ok, did you at least take the pheasant home and eat it?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #11324
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #11325
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
bummer, at least you would have had a good dinner. last year on the opening day of turkey season i was driving to work at about 7am. i already had my turkey tags for the season. i had just gotten on the highway and i saw a turkey out of the corner of my eye. it started to take flight right before crossing the highway. it didn't get high enough and got clipped by the car right in front of me. i immediately turned all of my lights on (my truck has work zone highway lights) and drove in to the median where the turkey was. he was still alive so i put him out of his misery. then thew him in the back of my truck, took him home, cleaned him, put him in the freezer and was at work by 8. then we ate him for easter. it was awesome!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote