User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Local Flavor

I have to say, having lived in nearby Columbus, GA for about a decade now, that this region of the state still echoes of self preservation and personal entitlement. I have never encountered a more self serving populous of people in an everyday manner as I have here. Granted it was war, and prisoners are never treated as guests, but I am not suprised by the apathy that was Andersonville. I have lived all over the country but I am from the south, so my outlook is not one jaded by a lack of regional understanding, or just "how it is down here".

150 years has not done much for the evolution of the area. That the locals "complained of the smell" instead of doing something about it should speak volumes.

Nice post, though. I've been there and your pics did a great job of capturing the vacant and dreary feeling of the area.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
Wow, you learn something new every day. Thank you for the time you put into the post.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am not sure the balanced version is all that balanced.
Wirtz was convicted before a military tribunal and hung 11/3/1865 and his body buried next to the Lincoln assassins
You fail to note that the reason for the horrible conditions at Andersonville were caused by the lack of food, etc. of the South late in the war, while the horrible conditions at Union prisons were caused by spite and retaliation.

His name is spelled Wirz.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
You fail to note that the reason for the horrible conditions at Andersonville were caused by the lack of food, etc. of the South late in the war, while the horrible conditions at Union prisons were caused by spite and retaliation.

Nah, that's baloney. Sure there was a lack of food, but that doesn't explain it... There were no innocents on either side of that war. There never is, but that war was particularly horrific from every angle.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post

Yes I did misspell his name and times were tough in the south. So I guess that justifies it. That also must justify hijacking supplies meant for the prisoners and being used for the Wirz's personal use. The facts in the trial proved he personally beat and killed a dozen prisoners. 13,000 Union troops died at Andersonville. His defense to all the charges was "I only followed orders" has a familiar ring to it. 150 witnesses for the prosecution could not all be wrong.

The facts were that captured Confederate troops were 29% Less likely to die of disease than if they were in their own Army while Federal troops were 68% More likely to die of disease in Confederate prisons than if they were in their army. Lack of supplies explains some of it but certainly not all.

Anderson was the worst of 4 camps, that the Feds wanted to prosecute the Commander for war crimes. If you want to believe there were mitigating circumstances, so be it.

I am a history buff, but I just happened to be reading a book entitled "Lincoln's Avengers". Seems to be well documented and will give a different prospective of what took place after the war.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 05:45 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
There was also a movie about Andersonville. I think it was made around the same time as the Gettysburg movies 1993-95.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #22
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 442
Family history says one of ours either died there, or was held there. Never dug in to find out for sure. May have to do that. Thanks for the report.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #23
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
I read a book that was a diary of a prisoner in the camp for about a year. One of the big issues was a gang of prisoners that would beat and rob the others. The prison officials finally intervened and hung the leaders of the gang after a lot of others died at their hands.
But I agree the guards and the commander all should have been put to death for their actions. Just not allowing enough water killed many and that could have been prevented. We visited 5 years ago and it still bothers me how we can be so cruel to others and the civil war has thousands of examples....
Humans are the most vicious thing on the planet.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
4eyes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Worth the trip. I visited years ago when it was fashionable to also stop by Plains, GA.
I highly recomend "Andersonville" by McKinley Kantor as a historical fiction about the place.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote