Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
twistedkeys OP
Utahrd

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
Many years ago I purchased a dirt bike with no title. In those days that was the norm for dirt bikes. I found out where it was purchased new and went to the dealer with my bill of sale. He looked up in his file when the bike was purchased, pulled out the certificate of origin and gave it to me all filled out for me . I took it to the DMV and got the title and licensed it for the street with no problems. If I were you I would go to where you got it and demand that they give you the certificate of origin. Im sure they still have it on file if the bike is only 5 or 6 years old.
Well, they did go out of business, and the "store" was in Texas. Their website points to a 1 page parts web site with no help... For all i know the title was never created, shipped in from China, sold, got the money and run.

CR250
- Sold
KE100 - Sold
twistedkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
twistedkeys OP
Utahrd

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
How did you manage to ride a scooter for 5 years that you bought in 2008 ...
http://www.wists.com/thumbnails/b/1b...021070a44-orig

The crystals were as much at the bike at the time, but they're not worth much anymore due to the economy.

CR250
- Sold
KE100 - Sold
twistedkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
How did you manage to ride a scooter for 5 years that you bought in 2008 ...
If he purchased the 08 in 07 as an early release model, it's entirely possible if you're just using the yr purchased as a counting point and not being literal.
07-08-09-10-11-12 = 5 yrs.

Put your butt plug back in so you don't have to keep clenching and wasting energy.(as in too anal retentive!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
This is a lot of work but have a machinist with a CNC machine mill off the displacement of your scooter's engine and redo it so it says "39cc". If you keep your speed down around town no cop will ever question it when you show it to him.

We put a couple of those "Kikker 5150" Honda clone powered choppers on the street sans plates and we did just that, turning our 110cc motors magically into 49cc to kinda-sorta meet Indiana's motorized bicycle law that didn't allow manual transmissions. My buddy got stopped on his, said it was automatic (showing the officer how it went forward when he turned the throttle, not requiring any shift or clutch work) and managed to get away with it.

Even more work would be to sleeve the cylinder down, find a suitable piston and install it, again marking the cylinder with whatever displacement the new smaller piston makes it. This makes you perfectly legal and might even be a potential business for you converting 49cc scooters into legal 39cc units. Don't count on getting rich doing this.
And you just admitted that on the internet?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Speculating you did NOT make a worthwhile effort to research Utah laws so you could claim ignorance if stopped . . and probably thought any related laws should not apply to you anyway (because it was just your toy).
Nice comment! With speculators like you who needs enemies. Way to go!
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #21
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Pretty simple solution, though this is an old thread: go through your DMV and apply for a title. Take your bill of sale with you.

They should give you a temporary tag while the new title app goes through the state.

Then at same DMV apply for a learner's permit by paying the fee, studying the handbook, and taking the written test.

After whatever period of time is required then take the road test and get your M endorsement.

This is how it's done in my state. Check with your title office/DMV to see what the process is there.
2011 Yamaha C3
2012 Genuine Buddy Psycho
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Where do you get that you need a year to get a m/c license? From http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/motorcycle.html you go to the Utah driver's license office, take a 25 question test and get a permit for $9.50. It appears that other than a few time restrictions and no passengers you in effect have a license to ride your scooter since you can't go more than 60mph on it anyway. If you've been riding for 5 years you should be able to schedule and pass your license test pretty much anytime assuming that you are over 19. Otherwise unless you take the MSF course you have to wait two months. Though unless you can come up with a bigger displacement ride you are going to be pretty restricted.

Personally, I'd go the alternative route and take the MSF course. Then you don't have as severely restricted license and don't have to deal with whatever trooper is assigned to your road test. Especially since you maybe eligible to take the experienced rider course which is only 5 hours.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
I know this is an old thread, but I can't believe some of the posts. Fake paperwork? Grinding the numbers off the engine? You can't be serious. Riding something like that without a plate or the proper license can get you tickets, but fraud is a serious crime, and can get you sent to prison for many years.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #24
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I thought the 39cc solution was genius.

When I think about how usefull these little bikes are, they should be given out for free to every family everywhere.
They save your paycheck and the environment.
BanthaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 153
Dang, too bad I didn't see this when it was fresh. He should've used the "Vermont loophole" and he could've got a title for it no problem. Oh well, I suppose he's rid of it by now.
oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaBob View Post
I thought the 39cc solution was genius.

When I think about how usefull these little bikes are, they should be given out for free to every family everywhere.
They save your paycheck and the environment.
Not true at all. This scooter most certainly put out considerably more pollution per mile than any new car or truck sold (including SUV's). Even more so because it's a two-stroke. Engine/vehicle size has very little to do with how much pollution a vehicle puts out.
oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #27
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
Not true at all. This scooter most certainly put out considerably more pollution per mile than any new car or truck sold (including SUV's). Even more so because it's a two-stroke. Engine/vehicle size has very little to do with how much pollution a vehicle puts out.
Besides all that, who is gonna pay for all these "free" scooters? TANSTAAFL!
Personally, I would be happy if the various fed, state and local government entities would stop with all the regulations, licensing, import restrictions, tariffs etc. on small bikes so anyone who wants one can buy a sub-$1000 bike and use it for personal transportation. I don't see that happening, though. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually bicycles had to be titled, registered, plated, insured and inspected.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually bicycles had to be titled, registered, plated, insured and inspected.
I have little doubt that will happen, and after that, pedestrians will have to be insured. Medical insurance is already mandatory, and I can see pedestrians being required to have liability insurance. What if they step out in front of a car, the car swerves to miss them, and hits and seriously injures or kills someone else? Not very long ago that would have seemed laughable, but not so much anymore.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
bravada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I see the question: what damage can this thing do? Could it run someone over?
Could it run into my car and damage it, could it damage my child crossing the street?

The owner is responsible for the damages caused by what they own. It doesn't matter who you let drive it. It is your vehicle and if your stuff damages someone else's stuff or injure or kill someone be prepared to pony up.

Play games and the pros/sharks will eat you alive.

What would basic liability cost? Less than $75 a season? What is it going to cost you to hire legal council for one hour? It's cheap, cover your ass.
bravada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada View Post
I see the question: what damage can this thing do? Could it run someone over?
Could it run into my car and damage it, could it damage my child crossing the street?

The owner is responsible for the damages caused by what they own. It doesn't matter who you let drive it. It is your vehicle and if your stuff damages someone else's stuff or injure or kill someone be prepared to pony up.

Play games and the pros/sharks will eat you alive.

What would basic liability cost? Less than $75 a season? What is it going to cost you to hire legal council for one hour? It's cheap, cover your ass.
I can understand having liability insurance. What I have a problem with is having to buy it again and again, on everything I own. I have insurance on my daily driver. So why do I now have to pay more than the price I paid for a small bike to register and insure it too, so I can ride it on sparsely traveled back roads? And worse, why do I run into Soviet-style road blocks on those back roads, just to make sure I paid hundreds of dollars again this year, for the privilege of riding my $200 bike that does 30 mph wide open?
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote