Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #1546
Shimmer
Banned

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Fun to follow along in my old thread. Trying now to acquire a R100GSPD and working with 2 different sellers here who have them for sale. Let's see if I can jump back into the fold. Won't be a G/S though. Those things are too expensive.

Tom
Quite surprised after getting that KTM, and how much you said you did not like tinkering with the airheads anymore. We are all allowed the change our minds though :)
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #1547
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
Quite surprised after getting that KTM, and how much you said you did not like tinkering with the airheads anymore. We are all allowed the change our minds though :)
Shimmer:

Oh, the KTM is staying and I pay someone to do the serious maintenance for me. I'd rather cut off my left nut than do a valve adjust on it. I rode the living snot out of the 950 all year and just added a bit of oil every once in a while and checked the air in the tires. Oh, and a few tires.

I plan to find a GS / PD in decent shape and ride more than tinker. But winter is just starting and I have 3-4 months to kill. No more bare bone restore/refreshes for me. This winter we're redoing our kitchen.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #1548
Shimmer
Banned

Quote:
This winter we're redoing our kitchen.

Tom
...with many detailed macro photos of tile and plumbing fixtures
Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #1549
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
...with many detailed macro photos of tile and plumbing fixtures
Uh, no.

t.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #1550
Shimmer
Banned

Quote:
Uh, no.

t.
We all know you can't resist.....
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #1551
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Great report. I missed any picture of the front end speedo, bars that would show how the optional clock or tach is installed with the new ToasterTan top. I can see that the signals themselves were cut to be insert in the ends, thus the question. If anyone has one and can elaborate or post a picture I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1552
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Puddle:

I have no pics. I sold my non-functioning tach to RomaDakota (I think). Wth the Toaster Tan top you would need to fabricate something to make it work. My guess is you will be able to find someone here who will step forward with a pics of their bike.

Tom
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #1553
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
Great report. I missed any picture of the front end speedo, bars that would show how the optional clock or tach is installed with the new ToasterTan top. I can see that the signals themselves were cut to be insert in the ends, thus the question. If anyone has one and can elaborate or post a picture I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
My tach was on an "L" bracket secured to the top clamp bolt... also ran NLA Acerbis Baja hand guards with integrated turn signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #1554
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer: 322
Tom's Old Bike

My apologies to the community here ....... I truly had planned on doing more with this thread and Tom's old bike !!

Sadly , I only put about 400 miles on it , in my first year of ownership :(

As always , huge plans for next year - LOL

Here are a couple O excuses ..... I have a sweet new girlfriend , and I am building a new home !! Sooo time has been a little short .

Santa brought me my new septic tank on the Dec 9 -2011 so I thought he would want me to go for a short spin on the R 80 - it was about 25' and really sunny , that day . Perfect dry roads - so I went about 25 miles or so . A little brisk at speed - took her up to 80 a couple a times , and back into the warm shed , where it is resting now .

They both are beautiful , are they not ?

BTW - this tank feeds a "Old School " gravity drain field !! See the connection ??

Every time I fire up this bike ......there is a giant smile on my face !!
kenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #1555
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Ken:

Nice digs!

Glad to hear the G/S is doing well. After a year + of no airheads I snagged a pair of R100GS PD's for my wife and I. One is here (teal/white) and the other is on a truck heading here from the DC area right now. Plan to do a little work myself once football is over.

T.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1556
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

I snagged one , also ......

Tom ;

about two months after my trip to Colorado ...... I found this 1993 PD , on the internet . I had it shipped up here from Arizona .
It's a nice bike , and like the R 80 , I have not ridden it much !! Darn it !!

Sadly , only about 200 of these miles are mine .....

I gotta do better ......I need to run some gas thru these things :))

Ken in Montana........... prolly could have rode today, it's like summer here
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #1557
PussyGalore
on the floor

Oddometer: 6
Amazing nice build. Respect and thank you for sharing all the foto's with us. Thats really great.

I had a little tip on the ingnition module. You have used way to much thermal grease. The thermal grease is there to fill out the uneven surfaces of the ignition module and the cooler.
The way in which you applied the paste will cause a lot of airbubbles to sit between cooler and module. Air is a good insulator, so bad. The paste/thermal grease is actually there to fill airgaps not to create them.

Check the following video(its a bit dodgy but clear). here they describe the differet way's there are to apply thermal grease.
They start out using the method you used. you can see how many airbubbles are in there.
Video

PussyGalore screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 03:36 PM Reason: spelling
PussyGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #1558
victor850r
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have the same bike, but if i connect the battery direct to starter it works great. But when i set up the starter in the bike and then i push the start button on right handle bar, Starter sound trrrrrrrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrrrrr ,like neumatic nut remover tool. is not engaging i don't know why. what could be wrong?
victor850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #1559
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Tom's Old Bike - lives on !!

Ok fellas - it's about time I posted something in here , about this bike .

I ride it all the time ! When I get home from work and want to take a relaxing 30 or 50 mile ride ..... this is what I hop on !

I haven't done much to it . Tom purty well had all the bases covered . I have tweaked on the carbs a little . I had Wirespokes fix me up a speedo - I looked thru all the records Tom gave me and had Terry set the mileage to that number .

I am about to install it .....

Thanks Terry - works perfect !!

very simple process

FORCED to take it for a test ride ....here !

I added this high dollar custom built attachment ......to keep my dry bag off the turn signals on a recent trip

Just a scrap board outa the burn pile ......

I put on the dual seat and sheepskin for the same trip

I took my Giant Loop bag and it just fits better sitting on the seat than on the porter rack behind the solo seat .

This was a test run - I went up our local ski hill and stopped and felt for warm spots on the bag - none to be found !!

I must add that, the Great Basin bag and tank bag - both from Giant Loop , work very well on the bike !! Good stuff !

I love this bike and I am very glad I hooked up with Tom on this !
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #1560
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Recent trip to Arizona

My riding buddy , Doug and I , just returned from a 8 day ride . We went to Overland Expo , in Northern Arizona .

I took my R 80 g/s and Doug took his X Challenge .

We hauled them thru the night and landed in Torrey, Utah . Then rode from there . I put 1200 miles on the R 80 and did nothing but smile all the way . We had a lot of good off road rides and a lot of straight into ,hard headwinds . Bike handled it all with ease . We camped every night , so had all our stuff with us .

I changed engine oil and checked tranny and final drive levels .....and that's it !

Climbed aboard and enjoyed the ride .

Here we are in Monument Valley

If you like , here is the link to a post I did on this trip - I made it as part of another ongoing ride report .

here is the link -

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=15

Hopefully you like !