User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Looking for a good motorcycle painter in So Cal

I am looking for a good motorcycle painter in Southern California. I am restoring an r75 and I want it original looking as far as paint and pin striping. Thanks............John
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Nick Bataglia, owner of Loose Canon Customs in San Diego did some body work and painted my Honda Shadow last year. did a fantastic job:)

http://nickbattagliapaint.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loose-Cannon-Customs/116572245033535

sadly, the pics don't do the candy and pearl justice.

I know it's not an airhead, but Nick is who I'll use when I ready to paint my R80/7.

He does beautiful pin striping as well.
spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
I can't help ya with the paint, but the best pin striper I've seen as far as stock stuff goes is Iverson, Dudes seriously magical.

Bob Iverson 714 847 4175

I know some good painters, but most don't do the pin striping themselves.

ETA: bob iverson is no longer with us, he claimed his own life not long after i posted this.

villageidiot screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 12:22 PM Reason: contact info
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,938
Harpoon is really good pinstriper,
He mostly works in the grovey retro style so popular with the kids.

There are litterally thousands of paint shops in SoCal.
With prices from spray bombs in your back yard up to 5 figures for a one color paint job.

Do you have a low, med or high budget? Most of the places I know about are targeted toward the high end of the market.
Custom, show and concept stuff. But I could poke around and asks some questions ifin I know your budget.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

squish screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 01:48 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I looked forever and talked to a lot of guys who specialize in old BMW restorations. They all quoted me $1200-$1500 for my fenders, head/taillight shell, and a few assorted pieces (not including the tank and frame).

I ended up taking mine to a Harley custom painting shop. After spending all day painting fades, flames and skulls, a black paint job with white pinstripes was a piece of freaking cake. A week later I got my parts back painted and striped for significantly less than the guys who specialize in BMWs.

If money is no object I heard a lot of good things about Bavarian Cycle Paint in SoCal. He never quoted me, but did mention that he's booked through the summer. Must be pretty darn good.

Just take pictures and specs. I've read many reports from others who indicate that even the original pinstripes tend to vary in width and spacing. They weren't perfect.

brocktoon screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 03:31 PM
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
thanks for the replies. It looks like most places are around a grand for the tank, headlight bucket, fenders and saddlebags.
It seems fair as there is a fair amount of work involved and it will make or break the look of the bike. A ratty old bike looks better than a shitty paint job IMHO. Has anyone used Smokey's in San Clemente? I went by his shop and he had several parts in for paint but everything was still getting prepped for paint so I didn't see the finished product. I will go back when I get off work next week.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
Cycle Garden?

Not sure if that is in your zip code, but I've been there and seen some of the tanks and pin stripes they do on the old Guzzi Eldos, top notch.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
treetrimmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one...

I'm also looking for a good painter in California, SoCal preferred but will travel or ship if worth it. There is no way on earth I should have to travel for this, though. There are about a half a million paint/body shops in my county.

My bike is a 1981 R100RS with original Lava Red Smoke paint job, pretty faded and beat-up at this point. I'm leaning towards making it Grey Smoke, (also a stock color that year, I think), or possibly grey with pinstripes. After really looking at the smoke effect, it looks like something that any decent painter should be able to replicate but then I'm not a painter. It looks like they painted the parts the base color and then lightly sprayed the borders with black before clear coating(?)

Anyhow, any recommendations are appreciated. Anyone have a good Smoke paint job done on this board? TIA as always.
treetrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetrimmer View Post
I'm also looking for a good painter in California, SoCal preferred but will travel or ship if worth it. There is no way on earth I should have to travel for this, though. There are about a half a million paint/body shops in my county.

My bike is a 1981 R100RS with original Lava Red Smoke paint job, pretty faded and beat-up at this point. I'm leaning towards making it Grey Smoke, (also a stock color that year, I think), or possibly grey with pinstripes. After really looking at the smoke effect, it looks like something that any decent painter should be able to replicate but then I'm not a painter. It looks like they painted the parts the base color and then lightly sprayed the borders with black before clear coating(?)

Anyhow, any recommendations are appreciated. Anyone have a good Smoke paint job done on this board? TIA as always.
There is WAY MORE to smoke than you seem to be thinking.
Yes, almost anyone can do a smoke paint job,
BUT
A GOOD SMOKE Paint does not come quite so easily as there are a lot of sprays,
and then with every spray, there is a lot of prep AND follow-on work before the next

Keep searching, there are several good smoke painters there, but you have got to wait on line and be able to do without your stuff for a while.
And remember, GOOD-SMOKE always will cost more than average smoke does
DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
treetrimmer
Adventurer

Thanks, I will do that search. I agree that a good smoke job takes skill but I also believe that any talented and experienced painter could figure it out based on my stock original paint to look at.

I need another favor, can anyone tell me the paint code for early '80s grey or Anthracite used on our bikes? Specifically the R100RS with Grey Smoke. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
TogaJoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I believe the '81 smoke grey is 507 & smoke red is 508.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
treetrimmer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogaJoe View Post
I believe the '81 smoke grey is 507 & smoke red is 508.
Thanks. On the color chart that comes up in web searches, (snobum, I think), 507 is called either Polaris Graphite metallic or Silver Graphite. No mention of Smoke. 508 is listed as Red Smoke.

Does anyone know if 507 in those names is this? This is what I'm after:

EDIT: Oh, fk it. I can't upload a photo. How difficult would it be for the software of this board to automatically re-size files or allow larger photos?? I've re-sized it 4 times and somehow it's still too big even though it's 1/4 of my 13" desktop.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
treetrimmer
Adventurer

I'll try it like this, this is the color I want:

http://www.google.com/search?q=BMW+R...m%3B1280%3B819
Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
treetrimmer
Adventurer