Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #76
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Talk to Jia at Mr. Mechanics - You'll like her! :)
Well I rented a bike there this morning.... picking it up tomorrow. Talked to the only girl there who seemed to run the front office. She gave me a hard time about not being able to rent the bike out for 7 days if I took it only for 3 or 4...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #77
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
We ended up renting the Africa Twin from Tony's Big Bikes. It was a disaster... none of the gauges worked, it had a bypass on the fan because it was defunct. The clutch stuck after the bike cooled down, it sounded like the bearings were shot the second I drove it off the lot ... an endless list.
To top it all off, the front sprocket was spot welded on (they knew this in advance) and it let go when we were miles away from anywhere… It lost us a day and the guy had the gal to say: ”Oh, just get it towed to a local shop, we’ll pay for the repair. It’s happened before. It’s a customer’s bike. He’s currently in jail and we rent it out to help him out”. We were 30 clicks from anywhere. The cops ended up towing me in to a bike shop…

Tomorrow we leave for the Mae Hong Son loop on a bike from Mr. Mechanic. Cheaper, never and all-round a nicer bike to deal with it seems.
More here: www.nohorizons.net
Sorry man ..wow that sucks. Great picture though.

Ride on

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #78
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Howdy all- I'm from NYC and arrived in Bangkok yesterday, and will be here for two weeks (hoping to visit koh lipe and chiang mai too) and would love to get an official drivers license there. Having it probably won't ever do me any good, but I'd be crazy not to try to get one.

Here's what I have-
British Passport
US Passport with thai 30-day visa stamp
Valid Michigan auto/mcy license
Out of date (2009 exp) AAA International Driving Permit.

I read somewhere that it can be possible for someone who doesn't hold a resident visa to get a driving license. If that's so, I'd love to hear any tips (like sketchy / gently bribable or charmable license-issuing places),
Should I enter Thailand with my American or British passport (Edit: entered with US)? My (expired) IDP and Michigan license would seem to be a better match to my US passport, but maybe it would look better if it had no visa in it.

If this is an all-around sketchy idea, forgive me; I have yet to land and don't have a good handle on the scene, though I am staying with a friend who has lived there for ages.

Also, I'd love to hear about good things to see, don't have to be really touristy but more what you got a kick out of seeing or doing, and things to buy (if, for instance, there is a cool thai watch company, or bicycle tires, dress shirts, or something like that. I'd also like to buy a huge thai machete. I have one friend, and wherever he goes he brings back machetes, now he's gotten me hooked).

I'm planning to learn to scuba dive or at least go snorkeling, maybe go up in a glider or hang glider, and head to Chiang Mai for a 2 or 3 day motorcycle trip. Who knows. I'm really excited!

some pictures from me and another guy in NYC: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7438
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #79
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
For a Thai DL you need a non-immigrant visa so fogetaboutit! You can always get a novelty DL on Kao San rd.
Riding in Chiang Mai go stay at the Riders Corner guest house, they will hook you up.
For diving the Andaman sea coast is best, but the season is over soon. Aladdin dive safari are are a good bunch and avoid the tourist hoards.
For non touristy spots try Ranong and the nearby islands.
If you want to fly a glider Elmira, NY is your best bet. I wouldnt trust Thais much for aviating.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #80
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
We ended up renting the Africa Twin from Tony's Big Bikes. It was a disaster... none of the gauges worked, it had a bypass on the fan because it was defunct. The clutch stuck after the bike cooled down, it sounded like the bearings were shot the second I drove it off the lot ... an endless list.
To top it all off, the front sprocket was spot welded on (they knew this in advance) and it let go when we were miles away from anywhere… It lost us a day and the guy had the gal to say: ”Oh, just get it towed to a local shop, we’ll pay for the repair. It’s happened before. It’s a customer’s bike. He’s currently in jail and we rent it out to help him out”. We were 30 clicks from anywhere. The cops ended up towing me in to a bike shop…

Tomorrow we leave for the Mae Hong Son loop on a bike from Mr. Mechanic. Cheaper, never and all-round a nicer bike to deal with it seems.
More here: www.nohorizons.net

OMG that picture is awesome!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #81
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 734
Let's ride!

Took the KLX to Bo Din on Saturday and had a blast. This is a popular spot for dirt bikes and 4x4s that's in Minburi, just outside of Bangkok.

I'm a total novice, need a lot of practice and am itching to get out there again!

Going to skip out of work early on Tuesday and meet a friend there in the afternoon around 2 or 3.

Here's a Google Maps Link:

http://maps.google.c...&num=1&t=h&z=17

Decimal GPS: 13.886782,100.796598
Lat 13° 53' 12.4152" Long 100° 47' 47.7528"

There are some floating restaurants on the reservoir too where we can get some food and beers.

See you!

Tony
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #82
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
OMG that picture is awesome!
Luckily the 2nd ride, Mae Hong Son loop, went a lot better:
http://www.nohorizons.net/2012/0-tha...ong%20Son.html
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #83
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 653
Hatyai

Friends in Hatyai. I hope you are all well. I just read here in Afghanistan the news of the recent events in your part of the country.

I hope this did not affect you .

Frank