Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #46
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassmash View Post
I bought my full face helmet after reading a story here about 2 weeks before my crash. My face would have sandpapered the highway with my open face helmet :)

Good call. I have almost the same helmet already (Scorpion 1000). Glad to see it held up and saved your face/head.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #47
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paisano View Post
Good call. I have almost the same helmet already (Scorpion 1000). Glad to see it held up and saved your face/head.
That's the same helmet (EXO 1000) I was wearing when I crashed. It's ruined now, but it saved my head when I hit it on the initial fall and also when the helmet hit the guard rail upright posts while sliding to a stop.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #48
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
That's the same helmet (EXO 1000) I was wearing when I crashed. It's ruined now, but it saved my head when I hit it on the initial fall and also when the helmet hit the guard rail upright posts while sliding to a stop.
Wow....Glad to know I've got quality gear. Sorry you had to go through that.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #49
chassmash OP
Banned

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post

Conversations about tank slappers are always interesting. Unless you've had a tank slapper take you down, you probably have never had a real one. People refer to wobbles as tank slappers.
I agree. Ive had speed wobbles before and it's totally different. I feel I could have pinned the throttle and it might have help but I was going 90mph already and increasing my speed at that point wasn't appealing.

The main point here is that you can go down at really high speed and walk away if you have even average gear. My jacket was about $100, my boots $100, my pants $170, my helmet $150. Admittedly everything was trashed in the crash except the boots. But without them I would have been utterly destroyed. I particularly recommend adequate pants with knee protection.
chassmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #50
chassmash OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paisano View Post
Just bought some leather field sheer pants because of this thread. I have Kevlar jeans, but I figured your experience was advertising enough.
Hey they look good to- its rare that a straight man can legitimately wear leather pants.

The only negative of my fieldshear pants is that they are a little stiff. I hear Dainese are better in this regard- but at 3 times the price.

My legs Really came out of the crash well- not a scratch on them
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #51
chassmash OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
You ought to petition to have that mile of highway named after you. How many times (if any) did you roll before you stabilized? And do you remember any specific thoughts you had when you were sliding at very high speed?
I don't know how much I rolled but at least once when I hit my head.

As I was sliding I was terrified a car would hit me- and that was the only thing I was thinking off. Before I went down I thought about how I loved my kids. And my very last thought was that was glad I have a lot of life insurance- I actually briefl ysmiled as I thought of how I was going to be screwing the insurance company as they have only had a few years of premiums :). And then I hit the road
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #52
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,482
I've wrecked more than a few times and have never thought "damn I wish I was'nt wearing that helmet,...."I always find it funny when crossing over from a helmet state to a non helmet state that people are pulled over at the state line removing thier helmets, funny stuff, sad too.
hateithere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #53
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
On pinning the throttle -- I'm guessing if you can get the front wheel off the ground the tank slapper stops?
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
chassmash OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
On pinning the throttle -- I'm guessing if you can get the front wheel off the ground the tank slapper stops?
The problem is its so unexpected and violent- its hard to do anything. Also keep in mind this was on the very busy very fast NJ Turnpike.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #55
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
On my KLR650, pinning the throttle only made the bike go faster, didn't stop the tank slapping. You hit a point that you know you are going down, so you decide you'd like to be going as slow as possible when that happens. Mine was a combination of tire failure/loose steering bearings.

I know looking at my tattered gear, my gloves that had the knuckle padding ripped off and seems split down the length of them, my helmet that was ground down well past the paint, watching my visor roll across the pavement over and over with my face safely a few inches away. It's amazing how much you can think about stuff while that's happening. Being able to stand right up after I stopped. I remember looking down at my hand and being scared of what it would look like underneath that busted up glove. Standing there assessing the damage to myself, and simply being relieved, and thinking 'this will set my trip back a few days!'.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #56
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Quote:
Hey they look good to- its rare that a straight man can legitimately wear leather pants.

The only negative of my fieldshear pants is that they are a little stiff. I hear Dainese are better in this regard- but at 3 times the price.

My legs Really came out of the crash well- not a scratch on them
Heh. I been telling friends that I bought myself some leather pants. They all look at my like I've got three heads until I mention that it's bike gear.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #57
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Here's a track tip should you ever find yourself sliding down the NJ TPK again -- always pat the ground to make sure your slide is done. Decelerating from high speeds makes the low speed feel like you've stopped. Until you try to stand up, and then do the kangaroo flip thing.

Just sayin. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #58
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
more to the story

Quote:
Its really hard to say but I had slid on some black ice a few days ago and the bike went down, then a new speedo was installed and this was my first real ride since. I feel maybe the front brake was binding because of a warped rotor. Not really sure..

All I know is that it went into a tank slapper as I accelerated . It was very unexpected
More to this incident than we know.Tweaked forks,triples ? Something happened to the rider in previous incident ?
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #59
roadfool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
All the gear all the time

90 mph on the NJTP and there's something wrong with the bike? Natural Selection almost worked.
roadfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #60
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere View Post
I've wrecked more than a few times and have never thought "damn I wish I was'nt wearing that helmet,...."I always find it funny when crossing over from a helmet state to a non helmet state that people are pulled over at the state line removing thier helmets, funny stuff, sad too.
ATGATT wouldn't go down the drive with out a helmet (yea, ive crashed ..........so) but i deplore helmet laws and could care less if someone doesnt wear on...........its his head
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote