Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #1741
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Don't want to rub it in but it's been 37c all weekend, it's ok while moving (vented jacket) It even rained for 10 minutes but stayed hot.

Hope the weather improves shortly so we get more photos to check out.

Cheers Terry

I hope so too mate ..... mind you, 37C sounds like too much of a good thing! ..... I'd be melting in my leathers!

Kamchat screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 02:14 PM
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #1742
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Hi Kamchat
Having visited US several times & driven there, I understand what it is like violating the law & driving & how the system works.

Looks like you're missing all the fun I commute about 45 miles to office everyday & touch atleast 75-80mph on a certain stretch of highway...atleast!!! This week I work EST, so when I go back home (early morning like 4 AM) sky is the limit ofcourse, you need to watch out...what you need to watch? Let me put the horrors at the end

So, you guys do max of 70mph? Is that all? My little CBR maxes between 85-90mph anyday & only for once I did 96 mph with great difficulty. But looks like I can join your speeds

If you'd thought there's no cop trouble then I'm sorry my friend, I personally love that trouble because there're bigger ones than that which you can't imagine. Well what can you expect on a road? A moose? Duck? And what? Here, you can find people waving their hands (as sort of asking to stop while they cross the road), cattles, pedestrians walking on road (you read it right PEDESTRIANS walking on road), no lane for cyclist, sometimes bullock carts, uncategorized vehicles

Here's what an uncategorized vehicle is...

Now about the law, people love to cross the signal when its RED (oh!!! we still follow the British style of Green go & Red Stop & Amber alert), no lane discipline right from motorcycles that are called murdercycles in my city, cars, trucks, buses, people riding & driving (includes cyclists to truckers) in wrong lane (driving in right side), jaywalking, vehicles cutting right in front of you & all this happens when no one wears seat belts & no riders wear gears If you question or raise question on the road as why they violate law, chances are high that they worship us & our ancestors with choice of words

So you see, how brave we Indians are !!! Seriously speaking, if you can ride/drive in this country, you can ride/drive anywhere in the world. Had I not been to US, I would've not been wearing gears, not learnt the rules of riding/driving & hell...wouldn't even be here to talk all these!!!

So what bicycle you have? Pls put up a pic of it
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #1743
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
Hi Kamchat
Having visited US several times & driven there, I understand what it is like violating the law & driving & how the system works.

Looks like you're missing all the fun I commute about 45 miles to office everyday & touch atleast 75-80mph on a certain stretch of highway...atleast!!! This week I work EST, so when I go back home (early morning like 4 AM) sky is the limit ofcourse, you need to watch out...what you need to watch? Let me put the horrors at the end

So, you guys do max of 70mph? Is that all? My little CBR maxes between 85-90mph anyday & only for once I did 96 mph with great difficulty. But looks like I can join your speeds

If you'd thought there's no cop trouble then I'm sorry my friend, I personally love that trouble because there're bigger ones than that which you can't imagine. Well what can you expect on a road? A moose? Duck? And what? Here, you can find people waving their hands (as sort of asking to stop while they cross the road), cattles, pedestrians walking on road (you read it right PEDESTRIANS walking on road), no lane for cyclist, sometimes bullock carts, uncategorized vehicles

Here's what an uncategorized vehicle is...

Now about the law, people love to cross the signal when its RED (oh!!! we still follow the British style of Green go & Red Stop & Amber alert), no lane discipline right from motorcycles that are called murdercycles in my city, cars, trucks, buses, people riding & driving (includes cyclists to truckers) in wrong lane (driving in right side), jaywalking, vehicles cutting right in front of you & all this happens when no one wears seat belts & no riders wear gears If you question or raise question on the road as why they violate law, chances are high that they worship us & our ancestors with choice of words

So you see, how brave we Indians are !!! Seriously speaking, if you can ride/drive in this country, you can ride/drive anywhere in the world. Had I not been to US, I would've not been wearing gears, not learnt the rules of riding/driving & hell...wouldn't even be here to talk all these!!!

So what bicycle you have? Pls put up a pic of it

No...... Lol! - We don't do 70mph max! ....... I have had the gixxer 'maxed out' on the odd occasion ..... but a typical rideout would probably involve riding in the range of 80 - 130 mph (when the 'coast is clear') ... .although it's not about straight line speed - the real fun is in the bends.

Yes, I can imagine riding in India is quite hazardous..... I used to live in Africa, and I have driven quite a lot in Romania which used to be quite bonkers at times (especially at night - drunk people wandering down the middle of the road and unlit horses and carts ).

As for a pic of my bicycle...here you go.... It is nothing special ..I bought it for my teenage son years ago but he doesn't use it anymore so I started putting it to use.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #1744
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
No...... Lol! - We don't do 70mph max! ....... I have had the gixxer 'maxed out' on the odd occasion ..... but a typical rideout would probably involve riding in the range of 80 - 130 mph (when the 'coast is clear') ... .although it's not about straight line speed - the real fun is in the bends.

Yes, I can imagine riding in India is quite hazardous..... I used to live in Africa, and I have driven quite a lot in Romania which used to be quite bonkers at times (especially at night - drunk people wandering down the middle of the road and unlit horses and carts ).

As for a pic of my bicycle...here you go.... It is nothing special ..I bought it for my teenage son years ago but he doesn't use it anymore so I started putting it to use.
You haven't had the time to paint it to match your plane yet?

limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #1745
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
You haven't had the time to paint it to match your plane yet?

LOL ! Nice one. .........

.... No, - I have been too busy watching my butler paint the Bentley and yacht......
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1746
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
LOL ! Nice one. .........

.... No, - I have been too busy watching my butler paint the Bentley and yacht......

Damn those butlers can be slow. A red white and blue Bentley, very . . .Wayne Rooney.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #1747
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Whoa! I caught up! Great thread Kamchat, and great pictures as well.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1748
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
I actually kinda liked the idea of sharing some knowledge on speed limits and speeding fines in different countries!
As I see, India is good place for speedfreaks in T-shirts... while Bonny Scotland is to be taken with a pinch of salt rather.

If any of you should ever come to pay Switzerland a two-wheeled visit (which I strongly recommend!!) - take care. Fines are high and rules are many... Hehe.

I will put some main facts together.

Let's start with general speed limits:

Built-up areas: 50 kph
Outside built-up areas: 80 kph
Motorway: 120 kph

As for the speeding fines:

Built-up areas:

Outside built-up areas:

Motorways:

The "at least 800"-thing means that the fine will be announced by the judge, according to the circumstances, his mood and above all your income and personal situation.
Normally you will get 10 daily rates. The actual rate will be determined as follows:
monthly net income - 25%, divided by 30.

Let's take Kam's example from a few posts ago:

He was caught doing 42 kph too much. (He got a fine of 395 USD and 4 points, remember?)
If he does that here in Switzerland, the outcome will be the following:

Assuming that he's done it for the first time, he will get a fine of 10 daily rates + an unconditional fine. Both depend on the income. I don't have the slightest idea what his income is (but seeing as he's got a plane painted in his bike's colours... ). So let's say it's 8000 Swiss Francs, which is pretty average. The unconditional fine will be 1/4 of that = 2000 CHF. The daily rates will be 200 CHF, so also 2000 CHF altogether.
So the overall fine will be 4000 CHF = 4400 USD = 2800 Sterling.
Add to this an enormous amount of administrative costs, possibly 1000 CHF or more.
Additionally he will lose his driving license for 3 months and get a probation period of 2 years. If he's caught again during these 2 years, things will get really nasty. Don't even ask.

Reminder - this is for doing 122 kph on a country road.

Btw, the maximum daily rate can be 3000 CHF, the maximal number of rates 360 - that gives a maximum fine of 1'080'000 CHF (745'000 GBP).
In January, a millionaire was caught doing 140 kph on a country road, not for the first time, with his Ferrari. He was condemned to 10 days in prison and 300'000 CHF...

Having said this, Switzerland has the most amazing roads for motorbiking. You don't even have to speed to have maximal fun. You just have to take the right roads. On the best passes you will not even be able to go 80 kph without being totally on the limit and having Rossi-skills.
So, as long as you behave in built-up areas and on the motorway, you should be fine.
I've been living here for 2 1/2 years and been here before for many holiday trips and I have never been caught for speeding.
So come and visit Switzerland, it's always worth a travel.

Cheers to everyone out there!
Have a nice Sunday.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #1749
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
AllBlackPearl - AWESOME!!! Excellent education. Tks
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #1750
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Damn those butlers can be slow. A red white and blue Bentley, very . . .Wayne Rooney.

Wayne Rooney! Good God! ...... such ghastly 'nouveau riche' vulgarity will never do ..... I shall instruct Jenkins to repaint it good old 'British racing green' at once.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #1751
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Whoa! I caught up! Great thread Kamchat, and great pictures as well.

Thanks, it's much appreciated ...and 'good going' on the 'catch up'.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #1752
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

AllBlackPearl

Good post. Thanks for the detailed info on Swiss speeding penalties! Yikes! - Looks like perhaps things ain't so bad over here after all. That's pretty draconian stuff. .... perhaps Switzerland isn't the best place to ride an 'out n out' sportsbike. .....If I lived there I might consider changing to a big cruiser or trail bike. ...or I would end up bankrupt faster than my gixxer accelerates!

Btw. - It's not all bad though - You guys are well paid - You say 8000 CHF is average monthly earnings..... That is about 5,500 or US$ 8,750 which is probably just over double the average monthly earnings here and certainly more than I earn.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #1753
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hallelujah! - It's March and spring seems to be in the air! .....Yesterday was pretty nice weather, unfortuntely the forecast had not been so good so we didn't organise a rideout ..but I did manage to get out for the afternoon on two wheels - first cycling followed by a quick local blast on the GSXR.

I did also run into the police ..... but it was a pleasant encounter.

Late afternoon = long shadows at this time of year ....

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #1754
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

continued .....

9C and with some heat in the sun's rays it was nice enough to stop outside for a brew at the Carbeth ..

Out on the Stockiemuir ....

Nearing Queens View on the way back ..

Back in the city ....and Queen Victoria looks down on the gixxer.....
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #1755
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Apparently this terracotta fountain outside the Peoples Palace on Glasgow Green is the 'largest and best example of it's kind left in the world'......

There is a pretty impressive conservatory on the rear of the above building (Peoples Palace)....

On the inside ...