Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 662
On the street, I blip [or rev-match] downshifts all the time, save for going from 2nd to 1st.

In the dirt, I rarely ever revmatch, as the engine braking can REALLY haul your speed down fast.. dirt has enough grip to take it, and not send you sliding out [most of the time].
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf View Post
On the street, I blip [or rev-match] downshifts all the time, save for going from 2nd to 1st.

In the dirt, I rarely ever revmatch, as the engine braking can REALLY haul your speed down fast.. dirt has enough grip to take it, and not send you sliding out [most of the time].
I agree on single track dirt, you use the downshift as a brake. It's sort of a weird art, but comes naturally when things get sketchy on a steep downhill, even for a few feet!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,199
What ^^^^^^^^ he said.

I rev match religiously on my 700 lb street bike, even though it has a slipper. I shoot for automatic trans smooth upshifts and downshifts.

On my supermoto with a slipper, or dirt bike, not so much. Grab the gear you need and let it get loose!

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
It's become habitual for me to use my gears for "braking". *I would not call it braking, it is a way to get more traction and speed. It all depends on how it is administered, but you will not find me at 2,500rpm sneaking through traffic, 4,000 is more my deal, correct gearing is the only thing that can do that effectively.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #35
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha18yug View Post
I was just wondering since i don't have so much experience with riding .... and i am still learning from reading stuff and so on... do you guys use throttle between downshift's on the street or is it better to let the bike go into engine breaking...i am using the heal and tow stuff on my cage and it protects my gearbox when i'm driving it sporty...will this also apply to bikes ...and what are the advantages and disadvantages ...?
I hope i can get some answers and discuss this ...

Thanks Sasha

The reason we do this is to save the clutch. If you match the engine spped to your road speed, you will not be "bombing" the clutch. It just takes alot os stress off the the clutch disk. Its very important in diesel engines.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf View Post

On pavement you can do the same thing, its more to keep the rear end in line and not upset the chassis.

A perfectly matched shift right and tip-in while trail braking is a beautiful thing.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #37
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
To me anyway, throttle blips just sound like douche.

Obviously, I do not apply any of this to honest to goodness, real life, living and breathing top tier racers. They can do whatever they want if it wins them a race, but the average Joe emulating things used on a race track, on the street, is completely uncalled for and is simply douche. Just throwing that in there in case someone tries to tie performance into throttle blipping.

Blip, flip, skip to my Lou or doodly doo, whatever nets you the most enjoyment from riding your motorcycle, that is your right as well is mine to call DOUCHE. We all get to have fun.
O lawd...

There's a difference in rev matching and just cruising around randomly blipping the throttle. Assuming you know what the hell you're doing, a properly executed rev matched (blipped) downshift will put you exactly at the appropriate RPM for the gear you're shifting into. Engine noise shouldn't be much more than if you were just slipping the clutch... which will also increase engine speed.

I understand there's no requirement to have anything approaching justification to have an opinion, but I'm at a loss how you've come to the conclusion that what's being discussed here is "douche " behavior. Who deemed clutch slipping the only valid technique for the road and on what grounds?
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #38
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,546
Depends on the situation.

I have a corner a few blocks from the house (downhill, hard right hander) on the way to a gas station that I often skid the rear wheel through when downshifting. Usually, you want to keep traction when downshifting into a turn...
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #39
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
O lawd...

There's a difference in rev matching and just cruising around randomly blipping the throttle. Assuming you know what the hell you're doing, a properly executed rev matched (blipped) downshift will put you exactly at the appropriate RPM for the gear you're shifting into. Engine noise shouldn't be much more than if you were just slipping the clutch... which will also increase engine speed.

I understand there's no requirement to have anything approaching justification to have an opinion, but I'm at a loss how you've come to the conclusion that what's being discussed here is "douche " behavior. Who deemed clutch slipping the only valid technique for the road and on what grounds?
I don't think Onederer knows the difference.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I use the throttle to match revs between shifts all the time, except when coming to a stop, I downshift to 1st (with throttle closed) when at the speed that 1st delivers at idle. Perfect slick downshift.

Another forum I frequent had a story something like this:

A passenger commented to the rider that the shifts were so smooth on that particular motorcycle that they asked if the motorcycle had an automatic transmission!
#46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #41
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Never.
I could not be bothered, and to hell with the clutch, speed shift, jam the shifter up and down, full throttle, abuse the thing, if it has problems I will fix it. (its never caused problems and I never wore a clutch out on anything modern)

I really have no clue how to ride, I don't hang off or rev match, I am too busy looking for cars pulling out, animals, the road surface, and enjoying myself.

Do the motocross guys rev match?
Maybe too much dirt riding?
Both our cars are manuals and I don't bother with them, but never tried speed shifting....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
kabluie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I tend to blip the throttle when I downshift, but it's mostly a habit from my early riding days. In those days I went everywhere as fast a I could go. I gotta say that when I match revs perfectly, it is a good feeling.

When I'm in close traffic and approaching a red traffic light I down shift not to slow myself down but to be in the correct gear for when the light turns green. Also I tend to approach red lights slowly because I'm too lazy to put my feet down. When the light turns green I'm not so quick to take off anymore. It seems like there's always some driver who is trying to run the yellow and ends up running the red. If you are blasting off the line at a traffic light at the same time the other driver is trying to run the yellow and is a touch late, you have a problem - car wins.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #43
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
While braking and shifting I don't blip the throttle, because it doesn't unsettle the suspension and in the worst case the ABS will do its work.

ABS won't do squat for a locking rear wheel caused by the engine.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #44
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
It WILL open the brakes just enough to compensate for the engine braking.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #45
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
A well synchronized downshift is quite satisfying, not to mention more comfortable and easier on various mechanical parts of the bike. More important is that if you make a habit of shifting smoothly you are prepared for situations where a smooth shift is critical. That could include the situation when you failed to judge what gear the bike should be in going around a curve and need to downshift mid-curve. Yes, I know you're not supposed to do that but I bet we've all found ourselves in that situation occasionally. If you can downshift smoothly with confidence it isn't a problem, but blow the downshift when going around a bend and it can end badly. Other occasions where it can matter is if you downshift on a sandy or oily spot on the road. Of course if you're going to carry a passenger they will most certainly appreciate smooth shifting. Also, as someone else pointed out, your ABS won't help if you momentarily skid the back wheel from a badly co-ordinated downshift. If it becomes a habit to do it right you'll never have a problem, and you'll enjoy it too.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote