User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Ford F-250 crew cab w/8' box, Cummins engine, Allison transmission. Want.
http://www.fordcummins.com/

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
And, wouldn't Ken look good down at the marina in an "Excalade" with some chromed-out 22s?

Take out the rear panel and crank up the bass! Uh-huh, uh-huh.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #33
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,395
22r

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #34
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,077
Towing all the time? GM 6.0 gas or dmax diesel

Towing once in a while, most of the time empty? GM 5.3L (really really good mileage for a V8, still plenty stout)

That turbo ford V6 is really interesting but I don't know enough about it

A half-ton will pull the 7500lbs just fine, but if you go that route I'd get a weight-distributing hitch and make sure the brakes really really work. Just my .02, I'm a bit of a pussy about pushing the envelope on tow ratings.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #35
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Towing all the time? GM 6.0 gas or dmax diesel

Towing once in a while, most of the time empty? GM 5.3L (really really good mileage for a V8, still plenty stout)

That turbo ford V6 is really interesting but I don't know enough about it

A half-ton will pull the 7500lbs just fine, but if you go that route I'd get a weight-distributing hitch and make sure the brakes really really work. Just my .02, I'm a bit of a pussy about pushing the envelope on tow ratings.

No towing all the time and I'm a pussy about towing as well. I have seen too much bad shit happen as a result of pulling trailers

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #36
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oh yeah, insurance.

Other opinions will vary, but if you're towing full time I would get a 3/4 ton diesel or 6.0. Horsepower isn't the issue, chassis is the issue. The 3/4t will be more comfortable with a heavy load, better brakes, better suspension, just a better tool for the job. 7,500lbs is right on the border between an overworked 1/2 ton and an overkill 3/4 ton. I personally like overkill.

Whatcha pulling? Horses and Boats are a little less stable than a box of motorcycles or rocks.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #37
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,426
and we could probably get it painted to match your mauve window treatments.

Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #38
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604
no gas gm with the cylinder deactivation. Have it checked for intake gasket deteoration and fixed if needed.. Flush out the deathcool and put in G5 zerex. Change transmission fluid by dropping the pan, get an extra pan gasket. New filter, drive a month and drop again. Just change fluid, you will only need a filter every 100K or so. Now change oil every 5K, drop pan to change trans every other oil change do not use fram filters or oiled type air filters ever.. Flush brake fluid and power steering, change rear lube every election year, preferable during all the political ads. Humm, I am due. 300K is easy with gas. Likely the difference in purchase price will pay for the extra fuel over a diesel with money left over and you will have heat much faster in the winter.

Diesel, get a dodge CTD manual transmission, honest. Do not put a tuner on it, and change fluids on schedule, add in brake fluid. It will be fine. Honest.

NO Ford 6.0 ever. Too soon on the newest 6.7 and it will bust the budget anyway. GM diesel is OK if not tuned.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #39
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
no gas gm with the cylinder deactivation.
?

the newer 5.3's have it, have heard happy stories from a couple neighbors about 'em (one who never pulls anything, another who pulls a utility tractor everywhere he goes).
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #40
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604
Cylinder deactivation on the GM seems to be associated with high oil consumption after about 100K miles, for the OP who wants 300K miles not a good idea.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Oh yeah, insurance.

Other opinions will vary, but if you're towing full time I would get a 3/4 ton diesel or 6.0. Horsepower isn't the issue, chassis is the issue. The 3/4t will be more comfortable with a heavy load, better brakes, better suspension, just a better tool for the job. 7,500lbs is right on the border between an overworked 1/2 ton and an overkill 3/4 ton. I personally like overkill.

Whatcha pulling? Horses and Boats are a little less stable than a box of motorcycles or rocks.

Boats and it weights 3,000 dry/empty. Add motor, fuel, water, supplies, trailer etc and I'd think no more than 5,500 max.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
no gas gm with the cylinder deactivation. Have it checked for intake gasket deteoration and fixed if needed.. Flush out the deathcool and put in G5 zerex. Change transmission fluid by dropping the pan, get an extra pan gasket. New filter, drive a month and drop again. Just change fluid, you will only need a filter every 100K or so. Now change oil every 5K, drop pan to change trans every other oil change do not use fram filters or oiled type air filters ever.. Flush brake fluid and power steering, change rear lube every election year, preferable during all the political ads. Humm, I am due. 300K is easy with gas. Likely the difference in purchase price will pay for the extra fuel over a diesel with money left over and you will have heat much faster in the winter.

Diesel, get a dodge CTD manual transmission, honest. Do not put a tuner on it, and change fluids on schedule, add in brake fluid. It will be fine. Honest.

NO Ford 6.0 ever. Too soon on the newest 6.7 and it will bust the budget anyway. GM diesel is OK if not tuned.

Rod
This seems to be a good piece of unbiased advice....I couldn't agree more about the dodge CTD w/manual, i just wish it were wrapped in something other than it is from the factory. But I bet I could live with it.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #43
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
This seems to be a good piece of unbiased advice....
Words to live by IMHO

Ken screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:

Rod

Fuel filter change every 30,000 miles too.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #45
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

thanks Rod, that's the first I've heard of that stuff... I'm in the market for a pickup too, and I keep vehicles a couple hundred thousand miles... I was looking straight at 5.3L gms...

Dang it was a perfectly good plan, until all those pesky facts came along.

edit- any idea what general effect the urea systems are having on diesels? It seems fuel mileage is lower now (at least on the internet, ho ho). I'm putting about 25k/yr on the truck, with about 4-6k towing... damn, I really wanted to love that 5.3l GM, good power and low-mid 20's mpg on the highway

Boondoggle screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 04:57 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: