Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 42
I'm really sorry for to read this - your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
firemedic3293 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thumb

Thanks Guys-

A quick update-

My uncle was moved to rehab two days ago, he has about 2-3 more surgeries on his wrist, they plan on removing some of the pins every 4 weeks. His ankle was broken and is in a boot, his femur was repaired that day, although its still immobilized. Overall he is in good spirits.

My cousin is still induced, and on a vent. They are weening him off slowly but surely, it'll just take time. Once off the vent he has to get his back operated on, they will insert some pins into the vertebrae that broke during the fall, I am told he has no neurological impairment which is a major plus . After that I am assuming there will be some lengthy rehab before he can go back to work.

Its a shame that this lady can ruin such a passion, I have ridden some type of motorcycle with my cousin for the last 16 yrs and now I am sure there will be no more of that. Unfortunately I even question if I should sell my two bikes, because no matter how safe we are, its usually the other idiots.

I thank all of you guys for your thoughts and prayers.
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic3293 View Post
Thanks Guys-

A quick update-

My uncle was moved to rehab two days ago, he has about 2-3 more surgeries on his wrist, they plan on removing some of the pins every 4 weeks. His ankle was broken and is in a boot, his femur was repaired that day, although its still immobilized. Overall he is in good spirits.

My cousin is still induced, and on a vent. They are weening him off slowly but surely, it'll just take time. Once off the vent he has to get his back operated on, they will insert some pins into the vertebrae that broke during the fall, I am told he has no neurological impairment which is a major plus . After that I am assuming there will be some lengthy rehab before he can go back to work.

Its a shame that this lady can ruin such a passion, I have ridden some type of motorcycle with my cousin for the last 16 yrs and now I am sure there will be no more of that. Unfortunately I even question if I should sell my two bikes, because no matter how safe we are, its usually the other idiots.

My uncle rode off a mountain about 2 years ago. He just forgot the turn was there and launched off hard. When my cousin and Grandpa found him his ankle was laying on his ear and he was unconscious. After a life-flight, 5 surgeries and rehab he's up and riding again, but he'll never be the same. He hasn't changed mentally though and is still batshit insane. Evidenced by the fact he broke his coccyx when he looped a ktm dirt bike he'd just gotten. A bad wreck doesn't have to mean the end of the road for riders, but for some it certainly seems to. God speed to them, they're both in my prayers.
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 574
I recently heard a story of a wisconsin mad who is finally going to prison after his 8th DUI. Pathetic.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Very sorry to hear and I hope for a full and speedy recovery to the both of them.
As for the driver....It would seem like she will be in big trouble because she actually caused bodily injury to others.....well lets hope so.....
rico2072 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5babe View Post
Hopefully, but unlikely. Some of these drunks have 10, 15, arrests and more.

Not in Jersey, three DUI's you get 180 days ...mandatory......no limit either, I know a guy that got a pair of DUIs like 20 years ago, he got another about 3 months ago, he got 180s for the third DUI, and he's got to go back to court to explain why he didn't pay his alimony

duh.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
I sure hope they get better.
Not sure about riding again, that is a call they have to make.
After my last crash (in the dirt) where I was told I was lucky to be alive, I was back on the bike as soon as I could sit it.
I took a year off dirt riding and stuck to street riding, but am looking for something to dirt ride now.
Something lighter, lower and slower, I do not want to screw my body up so much I can not ride at all.

I would have a real problem being happy without being able to ride, but everyone is different.
It would be smart to give it up, its easy to get injured, moreso when you get older, but I am not very smart.

Best wishes coming your way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic3293 View Post
Thanks Guys-

A quick update-

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Don't sell your Uncle's and Cousin's passion for riding short. My old partner at work got t-boned by a left turner in July of 2010. A year later, and after 8 surgeries, he'd bought himself a new Electra Glide and rode across the country with his wife, towing their tent trailer to visit his granddaughter in Cold Lake, Alberta. He still has some challenges with riding, and has changed his gear (Hi-viz, but he still wears his chaps! ). The biggest let down for him was having to give up his second career as a Paramedic, which he loves very much.

I hope that the settlement he gets is much better than what EatPasta got...

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
firemedic3293 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

update

My uncle is home from rehab. I havent been over to visit yet but he just got home last night, I have heard he is doing well. My cousin just got his trach on monday, and back surgery on tuesday. They are unsure if he will be able to walk. This had not come up before but apparently there was more damage to his back than they had originally anticipated. He is able to follow commands such as moving his feet, but apparently he doesnt feel them, so only time will tell. What a major kick in the nuts, I dont think any of us thought that it would have come to this point.

C-Stain, I too am a medic, and that is one of my major fears, I am unsure how I would be able to be happy without being able to work as a medic, I am still undecided as to what to do with my bikes, I love my DRZ and all of the farkles but for me, Id rather work as a medic than ride, at least in NJ... too many idiots. we'll see tho maybe ill hold onto it for the year and see if I feel up to it.
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
My thoughts are with your family. I had a close friend endure a similar crash five months ago, he finally went home last week. Being a medic you know the long road to recovery. Stay strong, remain calm, and be there for them when they need you.

I got plowed into by a woman who I think was texting. Riding on the road with cars is inherently unsafe, and the more cars, the more chances of someone doing something stupid. I live in NJ, and I've taken to riding only when there is reduced traffic.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
firemedic3293 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On our way

My cousin had his trach removed about two days ago and he was moved from the hospital to a rehab last night. things are progressing, slow but its still progress. thank you everyone for the well wishes and prayers!
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #27
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Repeat DWI offenders like that are all too common. Here in New Mexico it is also a real problem. I really don't understand.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery to all your family and especially to the fallen riders.
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
I wish your family (the whole family) a speedy recovery.

But for the grace of God, there go I.

I could have been either party in this accident; I was a drunk, and now I ride bikes. I would never own a bike when I was drinking because I new I would kill myself. And yeh, after 18 years of being drunk since age 13 I had several DUIs (should have had thousands). The most time I spent in any one stint was 6 months on a 1-5 year sentence. That was a dozen years ago and things have the penalties have gotten stiffer, but you guys are right, the system often fails. However, it is getting better, slowly, maybe.

I could go on and on about this, but rather not. The truth is that punishment doesn't really help the drunks not drink or not drink and drive, at least in the long run. The first part of the brain that is effected by alcohol is the frontal lobe, which controls judgement. So when I see the booze ads that say "drink responsibly," I laugh and get angry at the same time. If a person has a drinking problem and they own a vehicle, they are going to drink and drive.

What I think the punishment does is help the victims deal with the damage, but only protects society for a short while. Unless this drunkard get some kind of mental help, she will probably do it again. Hopefully the damage she caused will be enough for her to get her shit together, but likely it will just be another excuse to drink.

I thank God it still makes me scared and sick to think of what I could have done when I was that person.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Drunk in the morning is a pretty good sign of an alcoholic.
Not necessarily. Quite a few people work schedules much different than typical bankers' hours.

Don't let your guard down just because it's noon and sunny. Drunks, muggers, whatever...they can work their mayhem any time or place.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 189
DUI's in California

I don't know what the laws are in NJ, but in Cali, a DUI that causes major injury (even if it's your 1st DUI) is considered a felony. What's unfortunate, is that some people are arrested for DUI so many times, that they sometimes know the procedure better than a newer officer. Shame.

Regardless of what the DUI gets, I hope that at least the insurance is taking care of the medical portion for your Unc and cousin. Sometimes I often wonder if I should be riding here in Southern Cal, but gosh darn it, I've got a couple of motorcycles and love riding very much. I hope you and your family stay strong and make a full recovery.
Chin up and rubber side down
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote