User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #91
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 238
Wet ride this morning out to the end Myola Road where it crosses the Barron
River is well up over the causeway and ripping along a quite pace so no going across - was followed by a cruiser rider - not sure even if it was crossable where he thought he was going.

Had a quick look at the Clohesy - was up but not a lot.

Went up to Mareeba to check on pegs and shifters - no luck - wore my regular boots plus the knee protectors just to see how those worked - hardly noticed them on and I was completely totally drenched head to toe.

Sun finally came out and stayed out so fine ride on Davie's Creek road at a sedate pace...took a couple of sun breaks to dry things
..nice to have a front tire that goes where pointed.

Front knobby felt much better on the road as well.

Got lucky in the rain forest stretch and spotted one of these flying - saw it in both directions....stunning bird

Some of my pics tomorrow - Davie's Creek is lovely area.

Tinaroo tomorrow or Black Mountain. Will wait on weather

macdoc screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 10:42 PM
macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #92
noeyedear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post

Hopefully be able to get out and have a ride with ya's soon.

Cheers Kezza.

Yeah, he's busy out the back building a side car for the DR and a nursery
noeyedear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #93
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

aside from getting soaked today....

Question.

The Kenda 270 really felt good after putting on 200k today mixed highway and dirt/gravel.

A fair bit was in the rain which I know helps the knobbies on pavement but should I keep the speed down when running on dry pavement??
Any other knobby tips?? Thanks.

Also saw a Dunlop 605 rear today at the Mareeba dealer - he had ordered in a set - that looked good for what I want. Anyone use them???
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #94
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Damn where did the week go Supposed to have planned a two day one nite casual ride to the south.....looks like a couple of day rides around here in order.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #95
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Got boots sorted today since could not shift with the MX boots ( I'm not the only one - KLR thread has others with the same issue)
- Kawi dealer Cairns was great about it.
Suggested a Dri-Rider Nordic which is in between a smooth soled touring boot and an MX boot.

Full water proof - has some treads for walking and I can shift ( tested it this time ).Best deal - he gave me them ( $179 retail ) for the $100 I'd already spent. My touring boots at home are not fully water proof and in Cairns having a set that is makes lots of sense.

Now that's good customer service. I'll for sure order my Dunlop 605s from him next year.

anyone riding anywhere this weekend that would like a tourist speed tagalong?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #96
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Good ride today along the Tinaroo Creek forest track...didn't fall over once
Started early so encountered no one - saw one of those gorgeous long tailed kingfishers.

When I came out onto the Danbullah Forest Road a ranger came by and pointed me to the dam .....that was good as did not want to do the longer loop to the Fig Tree today - too many people on the road.

Coffee and croissant from the displaced Frenchman at the cafe and headed home down the Gillies - 220k nice day and for once not drenched.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #97
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Put a Kenda 50/50 on the front and am skittering around till the little nubbies wear.
He had it and put it on on the spot - bit of sticker shock on tires compared to home

He is suggesting a Kenda 510 on the rear but the 70/30 tire model rather than the 50/50 ( 270s are the 50/50 I think )
I'm pretty happy with Mitas C-02 stoneking's on my 690. They don't grip very well on pavement but they get the job done (if you adjust your riding style to compensate) and they take forever to wear out even on the highway. Awesome grip and feel off road, and reasonably priced. It's a full knobbie, but I've done tons of highway on them and the gilies several times a week. My only complaint, is there isn't quite enough grip to do a wheelstand on pavement in the wet.

The tyre guy at Wayne Leonard tells me more and more of his regular customers are switching to it.

Quote:
I have not yet ordered the rear - was going to go over to Wayne Leonard tomorrow at some point but might also go talk to the guys in Mareeba who fixed me up with the alternative clutch - give them a bit of biz if they have something and can do it while I wait.

Like to support the independents. I see Dean's business is up for sale - there is a sign inside saying "business for sale".
Wayne Leonard is independent, they're just also authorised to sell/maintain several major brands.

I dunno the mob in Mareeba, but I've had some pretty bad experiences with bike shops up here... Wayne is about the only one north of brisbane who I've always been happy with (not that I've been to all of them, just advising caution).

Have you been out irvinebank way yet? Herberton to Petford via Irvinebank is a nice proper outback dirt road, but with enough signs and local traffic you won't get lost. Fuel at Atherton, Irvinebank and Dimbulah.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #98
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Not yet but considering riding to Mount Carbine and exploring the Mitchell river end of that this week
Ken sent the GPS map.
The KLR is great with fuel - 23 litres - have not even got it on reserve yet once but I understand a few litres get trapped but like to keep it topped up even tho it adds to the weight up high.

It's 130k to Mount Carbine by pavement and I've been keeping it down to 80-90 on the pavement to preserve the front tire ( it's proving good on the pavement )
Drove down the Gillies yesterday and tho not pushing it the front end was solid and the tar strips is did not notice at all - the worn front tire was NOT stable on them ....felt like hitting ice patches.

I'm thinking that full loop is a bit long for me as I ride a real tourist place and stop lots for photos etc.

Wondering if I can slice it up into 50k segments ( off pavement portion ).

That ride yesterday was just nice length with Kennedy to Mareeba, dirt road and forest track to Tinaroo ( I took the northern track ) and then home down the Gillies.
220km - started at 7 home by 2 with lots of breaks and not too tired.

I tend to tractor in 1st and second in the rain forest trails and then ride the gravel at 30-40 kph so I can enjoy the scenery without paying too much attention to the road.

I mean really - how nice it this at 8 am on the Tinaroo northern track.

what I'm here for.

Heading up to Mount Mulligan early tomorrow and explore a little. Company welcome.
Thanks to Ken and Abhi for that suggestion.

Nother day this week want to go over to the other end and look around the Mitchell

macdoc screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 10:19 PM
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #99
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,368
Mt Mulligan

Hey macdoc,

Good keeping up with your adventures.

What time are you leaving for Mt Mulligan tommorrow morning and where from ?

Really should be looking for work, but if I can sweet talk the missus, I wouldn't mind doing a the run with you - I'm hanging out for a ride.

Cheers Kezza

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #100
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Sure - sent you a PM - Koah Roadhouse circa 7.30 is fine.

here

corner of Kennedy Highway and Koah Road - thought it was Koah Roadhouse - could be wrong on the name tho.
email me macdoc@macdoc.com is easiest.

Do you know the area??

macdoc screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:07 AM
Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #101
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Drove down the Gillies yesterday and tho not pushing it the front end was solid and the tar strips is did not notice at all - the worn front tire was NOT stable on them ....felt like hitting ice patches.
Yeah those bloody things are lethal! They were only done recently and almost put me in hospital or worse a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
I'm thinking that full loop is a bit long for me as I ride a real tourist place and stop lots for photos etc.

Wondering if I can slice it up into 50k segments ( off pavement portion ).
It can't really be split up, but I think it's not too long even if you take it easy. It's mostly wide open road, with nothing to slow you down except corners and creek crossings (rarely any water over the road, even this time of year).

The scenery is lovely but it's the same all the way, so you won't stop very often to take photos. A few old cemeteries and ghost towns you'll definitely want to stop for.

I'd stop for a break at irvinebank (at the pub) and dimbulah (there's a nice bakery... not sure what it's called).
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #102
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

You ARE correct it cannot be split.....200km to get HERE

and had to turn back .....too deep, too fast, at the Mitchell.

and we were hungry...

Raced some nasty looking clouds back - looked at the radar when I got home and the region got hit a bit after we exited.
My dirt road skills improve apace but might get that 50/50 sooner than later.

Gorgeous chilly morning - fog on the way up and actually chilly when we hit Dimbulah. Skybury was not open yet :(

Proprietor at Mulligan Station is a hoot - chunky local gold nugget around his neck and tales of finding a 56 oz one morning. Garrulous Irishman full of tales.

Will go back for sure to there - fantastic setting with the rock scarp and a lovely little oasis.

Some more pics soon - 420 or so total km about 200 off pavement tho nothing technical - some slippy spots for my roadish rear ( would have been a horror had that storm come earlier)

The small river crossing was fun - not too challenging and few streams and mudholes to splash through.

Teeth still rattling on some long stretches of washboard but the road was pretty good all around - only saw two vehicles.

Hot and dry in the afternoon - was sucking up water big time. Almost wanted the rain on the way home but only got the edge.
Good fun. Long day - left home at 6.30 am, got back 6ish pm.
Good riding partner put up with my slowish pace tho we were doing 60-80 on the way home.

He likes to stop and take pics too

It's 8.30 pm and still getting rain up there

macdoc screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 03:26 AM
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #103
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,368
Mitchell River

Classic chicken dance you have me doing there macdoc. Cheers for the ride. Think I'm gonna be sore tommorrow.

This video may give a better idea of what the river was like, so everyone doesn't think we are a bunch of girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqUIF...e6AUAAAAAAAAAA

More photos to come as well.

Cheers Kezza

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #104
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Yeah this one a bit better width and power...
Kez almost lost his balance just after this was taken - he said the bottom was slippery.

I AM sore!!! - a two Celebrex night for sure and I"m still dry mouth 5 litres later.

kids eh ;)

macdoc screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 08:25 PM
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #105
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Sad tale around Mount Mulligan tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_M..._mine_disaster

THIS however is worth the trip and a camp out. GF and I are planning a couple of days - stars should be superb.

http://mountmulligan.com/

•••
Mar 7th - rather than duplicate here's the link to the forum back home - 23 pics - some you've seen.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...93#post1740993

macdoc screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 07:22 PM