RIP Paul

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28949
I have always felt that way. RIP
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #32
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
That could have been any of us. Sandy Eggo freeways in the rain are a scary place.

M
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #33
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsu max View Post
As both a fellow rider and RiderCoach my thoughts and prayers go to his family, friends and fellow RiderCoaches, God speed.

Rest in Peace Paul.

On March 27th, I was one of 9 new RiderCoaches who completed the RC Prep. Class in Cloverdale, CA.

We can't replace him, but maybe we can help carry on the moto-education he believed in.

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
shinerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
RIP Paul
You were one of a kind
One of the GOOD ones.
shinerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Paul's paver at the Laguna Seca Raceway

A small contribution sent to Scott Stites's Paypal.

Much of the frustration I hear over this accident stems from our own feelings of fear or frustrations for not being able to do anything.

Paul Palika was obviously a strong rider with more experience and riding sense than the average motorcyclist. Yet he succumbed to traffic, the very thing most of us fear when riding in an urban area.

As motorcyclists, we choose to live life is a gift and know in our hearts it is not a contract. We do it every time we throw our legs over to drink of life, consciously or unconsciously.

There is nothing to do about Paul's passing. Throwing the book at some Soccer Mom won't sooth our pain or ease the sorrow.

But I for one choose not to feel angry or frustrated for not being able to do anything about this. I choose to Honor what Paul stands for in myself.

My condolences to his family.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 12:38 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400 View Post
...The CHP will always recommend manslaughter charges for every fatality collision if the rider/driver that caused the collision is alive. It is the district attorney's office that will not normally file the charges for misdemeanor manslaughter. I've investigated several fatality collisions where I requsted misdemeanor charges. Only once did the DA go forward with the charges. That was because the family of the deceased party kept pestering the DA's office.
Please write to:

Andres Carnahan, Deputy City Attorney
San Diego City Attorney's Office
1200 3rd Ave Ste 700, San Diego, CA 92101
acarnahan@sandiego.gov

Regarding the SUV driver at the 2/15/12 arraignment:
"...he wanted a public defender but makes too much money for one. So the arraignment was postponed a month so he can hire an attorney. The DA said he had received the emails and letters and he will give those to the judge at the appropriate time. However, since there is another month, if anyone else had wanted to send in anything but ran out of time, there is another month..."
http://www.streetmasters.info/paulpalika/index.html

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #37
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
I have noticed an increase in rain accidents at my place. In over 20 years my pasture fence has been hit a total of 5 times. 4 of those were in the last 2 years, 3 were in the rain or slush. One of them was drunk, and I turned her ass in, and offered to testify if needed.

Those 3 had bald tires. With the economy, fuel prices and the sharp increase in the cost of tires, people have to postpone buying them. They have to or not feed the kids. I do not have an answer, I'm just getting tired of patching fence at 3 am in the rain, or worse. I HATE having to patch fence when there is lighting!!!!!!!!

Godspeed Paul. I read your posts, and I know I would have liked you. I hope on the other side your roads are all curvy, your tires never slip and bugs don't splatter your windshield.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #38
K. L. Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
With the economy, fuel prices and the sharp increase in the cost of tires, people have to postpone buying them. They have to or not feed the kids.
"The accident occurred amid heavy rainfall shortly before 6 a.m., when a motorist traveling about 80 mph in the far left-hand southbound lane of the freeway encountered slow-moving traffic ahead of him near Balboa Avenue, causing him to lose control of his Lexus SUV, according to the California Highway Patrol."
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=14290395

I appreciate your magnanimity. However, I don't see the economy, tires or hungry children as relevant in Paul's death.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #39
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I hate to rain on your parade (so to speak), but if you apply critical thinking, and ask a few hard questions about the circumstances of Mr. P's unfortunate passing, you may learn some lessons about judgement and discretion when riding your motorcycle.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I hate to rain on your parade (so to speak), but if you apply critical thinking, and ask a few hard questions about the circumstances of Mr. P's unfortunate passing, you may learn some lessons about judgement and discretion when riding your motorcycle.
I am not disagreeing, but rain is a fact of life for most of us commuters. You "should" be able to expect a certain degree of competence and vehicle maintenance from our fellow drivers. Sadly, that is lacking, and only getting worse. A friend of mine is a coach and teaches drivers ed. He was telling every class every time they get behind the wheel, they need to think, one moment inattention, and I can kill someone. He had parents complain.

I personally will not comment on Paul's judgement. He was not at fault here.

Rod
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
K. L. Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I've ask the judge my questions via the City Attorney's office, but am open to hearing your questions as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #42
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
PM sent.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #43
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Since Paul was an MSF instructor, he knew about the accident chain. Break one link and avoid the accident. Rain was one of the links in his chain, which sadly did not break. This might be the only link that Paul had any control over. Now many of us ride year round, myself included. So we can be a bit defensive about riding in the rain. He did many things right, and the lexis driver had many many more ways to break the chain. This is why I hope they make an example out of the lexis driver, so people think a bit.

I very seldom ride to work in the rain, it will be less frequent now. Break those links

Rod
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #44
Capz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I really hope the driver gets some time for this, even if it was an accident someone died and other lives were also put at risk. The idiot should have been driving for the conditions and looking ahead.
Capz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
Turkus
Motorcyclus Unemploy

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capz View Post
I really hope the driver gets some time for this, even if it was an accident someone died and other lives were also put at risk. The idiot should have been driving for the conditions and looking ahead.
The only way that stops a light sentence from being imposed is to write to the gentleman below and make your voice heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Please write to:

Andres Carnahan, Deputy City Attorney
San Diego City Attorney's Office
1200 3rd Ave Ste 700, San Diego, CA 92101
acarnahan@sandiego.gov

Regarding the SUV driver at the 2/15/12 arraignment:
"...he wanted a public defender but makes too much money for one. So the arraignment was postponed a month so he can hire an attorney. The DA said he had received the emails and letters and he will give those to the judge at the appropriate time. However, since there is another month, if anyone else had wanted to send in anything but ran out of time, there is another month..."
http://www.streetmasters.info/paulpalika/index.html
I just sent my letter off, have you ?? There is still time left......
AMA#228900/BMWMOA#147760
Ride Safe....and with a purpose
www.streetmasters.info
Turkus is offline   Reply With Quote