Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,765
Diesel VS Gasoline? Learn me sumpin here boys.

So yeah. I bought a 2011 VW Tiguan about a year ago. It takes high grade 90+ octane gasoline. Since I've owned the car, prices at the pump have done nothing but climb. So I'm kinda kickin myself and thinking about offing the Tiguan and going to a TDI.

Yeah, the TDI will get 40 MPG or better. The Tiguan topped out at about 27 MPG on one downhill stretch of hiway, with the wind at my back. Typically, I get about 23 MPG in it.

In spite of what seems like obvious benefits, I still have to ask: IS diesel really "better than" gasoline in a CAR? Guess it's just the ever-present skeptic in me. Throw me a bone and tell me about it.
ricochetrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
it depends how you define "better". Typically a diesel will get better MPG, have more torque, lower Horsepower and a narrower powerband.

I normally drive a GTI in the states, which is essentially the same engine as your Tiguan, but I'm currently in the UK driving a BMW 320D. I have to say, if the BMW was available in the States, it would get serious consideration. The torque is great in real world driving and it gets an honest 40MPG despite being driven like a rental car

I test drove a Golf TDI before buying the GTI. I loved the engine, hated the Dual Clutch transmission and preferred the power of the GTI to the economy of the diesel.

I suspect if you do the math you would have to do a LOT of driving to break even on the trade. You're going to take a significant hit on the Tiguan to save maybe $40-$50 per fillup
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
So yeah. I bought a 2011 VW Tiguan about a year ago. It takes high grade 90+ octane gasoline. Since I've owned the car, prices at the pump have done nothing but climb. So I'm kinda kickin myself and thinking about offing the Tiguan and going to a TDI.

Yeah, the TDI will get 40 MPG or better. The Tiguan topped out at about 27 MPG on one downhill stretch of hiway, with the wind at my back. Typically, I get about 23 MPG in it.

In spite of what seems like obvious benefits, I still have to ask: IS diesel really "better than" gasoline in a CAR? Guess it's just the ever-present skeptic in me. Throw me a bone and tell me about it.
Just due to fuel cost differences alone mileage with the diesel has to be 15 to 20 percent better. Additionally, the diesel option costs more to purchase. Factor in the depreciation hit you'll take to make the trade and I'd be surprised if it was worth it. You'd probably have to keep he vehicle for many, many 10's of thousands of miles to see the payback.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 228
around here diesel costs more per gallon than gasoline. so i would want to do some math based on how much i actually drive and figure an approximate cost per mile. keeping in mind that there is no reason diesel cant and doesnt also go up in price.

then i would consider the fact that a diesel is usually more money to purchase in the first place. and you will need to determine the loss you will take on your sale or trade in of what you have.

then comes diesel maintenance. all of my diesel experience is with mercedes. but in general they do cost a little more to maintain and there can be some expensive repair items associated with diesel too.

then there is the noise...and i know newer direct injection stuff is much better than the diesels of old, but they still sound crappy to me.

o and the smell...i can not stand the smell of it when filling at the gas station. also diesel pumps tend to be dirtier than the gas ones. your hands will smell when you get back into the car.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,074
factoring out the fun to drive part (diesel will win hands down for the most part due to the real-world power band) and looking solely at the economics, the fact that UPS has chosen mostly gas engines makes a huge case against diesel for me. If you're after a 140 bhp engine that "feels" like 300, better range, and better resale then go diesel.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Diesels

Just went through this myself = Good diesel thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764973

1LIFE2LIVE screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 11:05 AM
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Well, I bought a Golf TDI, so obviously I am biased. The engine has low hp numbers, but the torque is superb for real world driving. Merging onto a highway, passing on a long uphill grade -- those are when the diesel shines. The economy is sweet, too -- I can drive to Seattle and back on one tank of fuel, for example.

Honestly, if you really want to save money you should just buy a Honda Fit or an equivalent small, economical car. The fuel savings of the TDI won't make up for its higher purchase price within either of our lifetimes. But if you have the cash, the cars deliver a very pleasant driving experience.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
We got a Jetta Wagon TDI it's had some lack of intelligent dealer mechanic issues but is really quite reliable and efficient, as metioned check out the Diesel thread here.

We're currently in Germany and the 2.0 TDI powered Tiguans are a dime a dozen, rumor has it the USofA won't get a diesel until the updated Tiguan comes out, real shame it's not sooner, Tiguans are nice but too thirsty.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,765
I will definitely spend some time this weekend going thru that ADV diesel thread.

My driving is heavy- I work part time, on call for about 15 different places in about a 100 mile radius from my home. So lots of freeway driving, and just lots of driving in general. My girlfriend has an 03 Jetta with about 125K on it, that we could probably sell outright, and I could flip the Tiguan over to her- she'd ALMOST break about even on the gas and have a serious upgrade, AND have herself an AWD vehicle for when it snows. (the original reason I bought the Tiguan- AWD)

For my way of thinking, VW offers a heck of a lot for the money. you can get a lot of car with some good fit-n-finish for under 30K. In today's economy, that's a big plus. I don't need a hot rod, that's not something I care about at all, just want some good mileage in something that's not gonna give me that tin-can feel.

Too bad the Tiguan doesn't come in diesel- I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. Then again, too bad you can't get a TDI Golf with AWD.

etc.
etc.
etc.

Guess that old Stones song is true, right?

"you can't always get what you want.
but if you try sometimes
you just might find,
you get what you need".
ricochetrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,076
I recently picked up a GTI with the 2.0T engine (same as the Tiguan) after comparing it to a Golf TDI, both with manual transmission. I drive very little and enjoy the sportiness of the GTI but if I drove a hundred miles or more a day I would have gotten the TDI. As it stands I'm putting about 800 miles a month on the GTI which will drop significantly when the weather warms up and I mostly use my motorcycle to get around.

With the amount of driving you do the TDI sounds like it would make sense.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Just due to fuel cost differences alone mileage with the diesel has to be 15 to 20 percent better.
In the 1.5 years we've had our tdi, whee we're at, diesel has typically been ~10% more (usually a bit less, but we just call it 10%) than regular gas, and is currently 3.7% more. But the op uses premium, so the cost diffetential is quite a bit less, usually a couple pennies a gallon more for diesel (1%-2% diffeence, with diesel currently about 2.5% cheaper (10c or so) ).
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Diesel in Northern IL is currently .10 per gallon cheaper than unleaded regular...........that has not happened for years.

Of the alternative engine/fuel choices out there diesel makes far more pay back sense than electric or hybrids..........for range, easy of finding fuel and NOT having purchasing a $2000 to $4000 battery pack sometime in the future.

Diesels certainly cost more up front

Clean diesels no longer stink and no longer smoke and have great power while delivering increase MPG.

Diesels can cost more to maintain....................
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
[QUOTE=tpirocz;18118076
then comes diesel maintenance. all of my diesel experience is with mercedes. but in general they do cost a little more to maintain and there can be some expensive repair items associated with diesel too.

[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in hearing your experience?
All of my experience has been with full size diesel trucks, but I have found that the maintenance costs average about the same. Diesel maintenance is more costly per service, but the services are less frequent, and a good portion of the expense in my case comes from the fact that my truck takes 11 quarts of oil.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,515
Nearly all diesel cars in North America are VW, which tend not to be as reliable as there Japanese competition. Not the engine but the car itself. Got a few friends with VWs and they need special tools to do the brakes.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Nearly all diesel cars in North America are VW, which tend not to be as reliable as there Japanese competition. Not the engine but the car itself.
Consumer Reports backs this statement up
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: