Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
I may have an unexpected, last minute 2 weeks to ride coming up - but I'd have to go the last two weeks in March - no options. Was obviously thinking of destinations south/SW as well and never been to Mexico..
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #32
Fosdick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'll be headed south solo from Mexicali morning of April 6. Have to be back in Denver by April 22. Loose plans between. First Baja ride. Questionable dirt skills and worse Spanish, but I like beer and fish tacos, so what could go wrong, right?

I'll be on a slow fat KLR. Not looking to hold anyone back, but wouldn't mind sharing some miles and beers if plans are similar.

Fosdick screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:25 PM
Fosdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
wack01
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm just waiting for my passport to come back sent it for renewal, My vacation starts
April 4-21 hopefully I get it soon or be hitting the states instead.

wack01 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:17 PM
wack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Plan Update

I am thinking I will be leaving Seattle either on the 12th or the 19th of March with a 2 month time window to ride. Probably taking a similar route as I did last year in the RR below. Down the Oregon and California Coast. I took about 6 days, but visited folks along the way. Stayed off of I5 except the run to Salem, Oregon.

I plan on going to Palm Desert to visit for an undetermined amount of time. Last time it was about 2 weeks and played golf mostly. But I am flexible on the dates as I have no specific plan.

So, this means I could do Baja and Copper in April.

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
iowa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wack01 View Post
anybody set down a time frame yet? I planning to take a similar trip around april leaving from mexicali or tecate plan to spend around 14 days or so. PM taking a klr650
It's looking like crossing into Mexicali on April 6th is shaping up. PM me and tell me about your self, what type of trip you are wanting, spanish skills, etc. Hope it works out.
iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #36
iowa OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwags View Post
Your trip sounds great, and I wish I could join, but I'm headed down mid-March to ride Baja solo.

One question for you - your route through Baja hugs the gulf instead of the Pacific. Is that route considered better in some way? I had assumed I'd take the western route, but I now wonder if that's the mistake. Or, if I'm going down and back up, maybe both is the way to go?
I thought the same thing you did, but seems like all of the rider reports on here are from people who take the gulf side. I think you take the Pacific side if you want to stay on hard surface? Reports and pics looked great, so I thought I'd go with the gulf side.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Hey Iowa,

A little side note/topic to your trip plans, but I was curious if you're using GPS or hard maps? Since I'm considering a loop VERY much like yours (only possibly reversed), I was wondering which GPS maps (or hard maps for that matter) work best (Bicamapas or E32? or others..?)

I have the Baja Almanac...

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #38
GSSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Baja/Copper

A bit different planes:
If you still want a riding partner in Mexico I can meet up at the Mex-Cal. border. After the Copper Canyon I havnt yet decide if I go up to Phoenix and some friends, to store my bike until oct. or if Im heding south either to Mexico City or down to Panama. It al depends on my wife if Im going to meet here in Miami or not, for take a cruise back to Europe.
Thats why I eventually have to fly of 26th of april.
What dates are you planing. Like I wrote earlier I can be at the border around 12th
GSSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
Fosdick
Adventurer

Looks like I've managed to wrangle a drop off in Calexico by evening of April 5. Will be crossing into Mexicali early on April 6. Plan on riding to Gonzaga Bay and assessing the Santa Semana affect. Loose plans beyond arriving back in Denver by April 22. Definitely spending a few days in Gonzaga Bay and Mulege. Spending a lot of time right now on Google Earth looking toward San Juanico. Wish I knew how to surf.

Let me know if you want to meet up for some of the ride.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
wack01
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm in for april 6 anyone else in??

I will take the 5 down to san felipe then puertecitos, and possibly bahia de los angeles, then wing it to la paz
wack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #41
iowa OP
Adventurer

Meeting April 6th

Looks like we are meeting the 6th at the border to cross to Mexicali. I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think right now, It's me Wack01, and possibly Fosdick? Anyone know a good place to meet up? I'll be staying somewhere in El Centro or Calexico the night of the 5th. If you guys want, we can meet up theat evening to do a bit of planning?

I've got basic camping stuff packed for Baja. Cheap hotels in CC. Bike and Tire repair all packed. Ive got a pretty big gas tank, so i probably won't be carrying extra fuel. Anyone know what temps are like in Baja and CC at this time? I know in CC it depends a lot on elevation, but Im not sure what range to prepare for?

Looking forward to it!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
Kevin_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
My plans have changed a little. My wife decided that my trip sounded too good to miss out on so she is comming with me for the first two to three weeks. That's the good news

So if you see some idiot rding two up with full camping gear on a KLR on roads they should not be on stop and say hi, that will be me

We are leaving Portland, OR on Sunday the 1st and will swap tires out in San Diego on the Thursday morning before crossing the border and heading for San Felipe. Plans in Baja are still loose but Mike's skyranch, Gonzaga Bay, Ignacio Springs, Muleje, Santa Roselia, Loreto, San Juanico, Todo Santos, Los Barriles are all on the wish list. All going well the wife will fly back leaving May for a south Mexico route and then back up through copper canyon area for a 2nd tire swap in San Diego to make the trip home.
Kevin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
Fosdick
Adventurer

Yep. I'm in for meeting the evening of the 5th in Calexico, and crossing the 6th. Will be at staying at Best Western John Jay Inn. Have no idea where that's at. If ya'll are meeting somewhere close let me know and we can look at some maps and swill a few beers.

If I'm having this much fun just planning the trip I can't wait for it to actually happen.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #44
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Copper Canyon Weather

Hey Zack: Our weather here in California has been a little late this year and we're just starting to get some cold and rain in Los Angeles. And our weather moves eastward towards the Siera Madre. So...I would prepare for the posibility of snow in Creel or the section riding to the border.

We are still going no matter what the weather forecast is. We have our permits already and will be crossing the border at Agua Prieta on April 7th. Most likely we'll never see you guys...so have a good one.

Johnnydarock
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
Kevin_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
We have our permits already and will be crossing the border at Agua Prieta on April 7th.
Quick question, how did you get your permits before the trip ?
Kevin_ is offline   Reply With Quote