ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
pfb OP
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
...what does this mean for passenger vehicles? Does this mean that all those trucks/cars/jeeps that drive .1 mile from the entrance at left hand canyon OHV to the shooting area will be getting warnings/tickets if they don't purchase stickers for their vehicles?

That is a designated OHV route that they're traveling on after all.
What Tom Metsa told me is no, you don't need a sticker on a passenger vehicle or a jeep if you are on the roads in an "OHV area", only the trails. Obviously a bit of a confusing situation...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Thanks, so another words I'll wait till after March 31st. Or can you get the next seasons before the March 31st date?
http://www.parks.state.co.us/ohvsand...strations.aspx
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Thanks, so another words I'll wait till after March 31st. Or can you get the next seasons before the March 31st date?
I've been told before that you can order next season's stickers around the beginning of March, so right around this time. Give them a call, they've always been very helpful.

Olas screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:15 PM
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
What Tom Metsa told me is no, you don't need a sticker on a passenger vehicle or a jeep if you are on the roads in an "OHV area", only the trails. Obviously a bit of a confusing situation...
Yeah, pretty confusing. You can ride ATVs and unplated dirtbikes on that road in LHC OHV leading to the shooting area so I would consider that a trail in an OHV area, even if it's as wide as a road.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Yeah, pretty confusing. You can ride ATVs and unplated dirtbikes on that road in LHC OHV leading to the shooting area so I would consider that a trail in an OHV area, even if it's as wide as a road.
It gets even more weird as I have read that rangers have written tickets on bikes still on a trailer. So in theory, if they can write a ticket to a bike, on a trailer, than they could in theory write a ticket to the car. Of course, I don't know if the same people who have written of getting a ticket while on the trailer, also fought it. I suspected if they did fight it, the ticket would be dropped
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 621
I sent in my registration 5 weeks ago and had a note that I wanted the 2012 registration. I have nothing yet. They really need to go to a year permit from day of purchase. March to march is stupid.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,064
If you asked for the 2012 sticker it will expire the end of this month. You need the 2013 sitcker. DAMHIK.

Oh well new sticker at the end of the month. It was an expensive lesson.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 03:59 PM
Lomax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
I sent in my registration 5 weeks ago and had a note that I wanted the 2012 registration. I have nothing yet. They really need to go to a year permit from day of purchase. March to march is stupid.
They do it that way so the rangers can see from afar if the registration is good or not. I don't like it...but at least pro rate it. Don't sell me a three month permit for full price. Oh well. It's still only 25 bucks which is pennies to be able to ride some of the best terrain in the country.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
They do it that way so the rangers can see from afar if the registration is good or not. I don't like it...but at least pro rate it. Don't sell me a three month permit for full price. Oh well. It's still only 25 bucks which is pennies to be able to ride some of the best terrain in the country.
Funny how they be concerned with that when the State Park Pass window sticker is just a punch out on the month you bought it good for a year. Seems if this is good enough for the State Parks it should work for OHV stickers. Just saying is all...

Looking at the Registration Form...

Do I need to put Previous Owners name? I have no clue at this point. It also asked if it was registered in CO before, again I have no clue, the guy had a plate on it but no previous OHV sticker so I would assume NO, again does this matter?
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Due to a couple events I'm planning, I've been discussing this issue with the local trail riders club (CMTRA) recently. The president, John Harris, says the enforcement of the OHV stickers for plated vehicles will only be done on trails less than 50" wide, so this applies to: side-by-sides, quads, and bikes. Since you can't plate a quad or side-by-side in CO, the only people it will effect are dual-sport riders. So if you ride a dual-sport, and you plan to ride a trail that is too narrow for a jeep, you might want to get an OHV sticker.

John is getting his information from the Pikes Peak Forest Service District. As with every other issue out there, enforcement of this law will depend on the ranger district and the individual rangers.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
John is getting his information from the Pikes Peak Forest Service District. As with every other issue out there, enforcement of this law will depend on the ranger district and the individual rangers.
Not trying to be argumentative, but this leaves out the following:
* BLM
* Sheriffs and deputies
* State Parks, including the former DOW LEOs specifically added to the list by the legislature in 2010/2011.

Tom Metsa mentioned somewhere that the state is planning to talk to all the agencies that do enforcement on public lands so that they are all on the same page. It would be great if he updated the state web pages once they have a decision so the public can be aware and prepare. All the back-channel exchange of emails does nothing to keep the public informed.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Funny how they be concerned with that when the State Park Pass window sticker is just a punch out on the month you bought it good for a year. Seems if this is good enough for the State Parks it should work for OHV stickers. Just saying is all...

Just being a PITA, but the parks have a kiosk you drive through where they can check your tag...

But I agree a one year from purchase would be helpful
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
Just being a PITA, but the parks have a kiosk you drive through where they can check your tag...

But I agree a one year from purchase would be helpful
LOL I have driven through 6 month later at those kiosk, their idea of checking is nothing more then "oh you have a sticker, go on through". Seeing as those kiosk I have been too have been on the left side and the sticker in on the right side of the vehicle. So not being a PITA but I have never had a person actually get out and look to see what month is punched. After a bit I am the one that has brought up the "oh, by the way that is expired". Like I said I went a long time afterwards once to see how long just for fun, I'm the one that has reminded them after 2-3 months (don't go often so I forget myself).

Again no reason not to do one based on when you bought it.

Like I said in other post, not trying to be a rebel...but I have yet to meet a ranger on a trail. The one time I did I was actually on a road, guess he thought how I was dressed I might be a DIRT bike...LOL *roll my eyes* As I was dressed like the typical street/dual sport rider with street helmet. But all he did was flash me (on coming) and I stopped to ask if he needed something/help and he said "just want to see if you have a plate", then he said "all good have a nice day". I will admit I found it odd he checked, if I was not plated his F350 with water tank was not catching me...again not trying to sound like a rebel but it was a silly thing for him to do (County Rd) he must of not thought that through as to what he would be doing if I continued on.

Like I said there HAS to be a better way.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
MeterPig
Meh

So in thinking about my point for a pro-rated tag, it actually makes sense to have a one price as everyone would buy a tag in the spring for a few months only. It's not like trail work is pro-rated so it makes sense to have the same tag price regardless of year.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
So in thinking about my point for a pro-rated tag, it actually makes sense to have a one price as everyone would buy a tag in the spring for a few months only. It's not like trail work is pro-rated so it makes sense to have the same tag price regardless of year.
A better way then to me would be just have it year long. Your not typically going to ride in the winter so if you bought a used OHV vehicle in say November no sense in getting a sticker only good till the end of THAT year. You probably wait till spring time. Once you plan to ride.

I do see where the March thing gets YOU to pay twice. Most shopping is a spring and if not early spring type of deal. Say you buy a new ATV/motorcycle in January or February and thus under the law the dealer has to charge you and submit the registration. Then a month later you get to pay again, so the OHV sticker was not $25.25 but $50,50 for the riding season for you. It's a way to make a few extra bucks off people.

A lot of people new to the sport will see it as another "gotcha" by are lovely state officials.

I think the first of the year be a better way of doing it. Then we know how much is coming in for trail maintenance. Maybe make it so early registration Jan to March is $25.25 and afterwards it is $50.50.

1) People like to save money so more likely they REGISTER early even if they don't plan to ride till late summer (busy with life).
2) Maybe it gets people out buying that new dirt bike or ATV (or new to them) earlier rather then waiting a month or two more. It's amazing what some people will do to save $25.
3) Just seems like a more logical time to say (good for that year).