Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #76
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Granted, if commuting was my only concern and I desperately wanted to do that on a bike (I don't) I might get one. Used, cheap. Spend the saved money on a bike that is more fun for me. But I would not commute on a bike. The long term cost is generally higher than on a cheap, economical car. Even with a Wee.

I was thinking about this at lunch and came to the conclusion that FOR ME a low cost adv type commuter bike would probably be a KLX with street shoes. Keep in mind though....my commute is only about 10 miles each way and all City streets with stop lights.

I'm actually suprised nobody has said anything about any of the 250 class bikes before this. They are a hoot to ride, nothing is going to touch them for gas mileage.... but for long commutes not very comfortable.

SayItAintSo screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:00 PM
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Granted, if commuting was my only concern and I desperately wanted to do that on a bike (I don't) I might get one.
There are benefits to commuting on a bike: riders who commute were happier and had better cognative functions than those who didn't.

Read the study here: http://www.motorcycleinsurance.com/t...-a-motorcycle/

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #78
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
And yes the DL is perhaps uninspiring, but a lot less grief if you are expected to actually be at work every day.

Pete
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
An oil change on an unmodifed DL is around 5 minutes including filter, how long does that take for a KTM then

Pete
5 minutes if you don't count the half hour you spent getting to the motor.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #79
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
Out of curiosity, how does the S10 do for mileage in stop and go traffic? My Multi will do 40+ mpg at steady highway speeds but sucks (low 30's) in stop and go traffic while commuting.
My wife Wee still kept up the great mileage in stop and go traffic.
I haven't checked specifically. However, my daily commute typically consists of 30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. In this 30 minutes I travel only 3 or 4 miles, all of which is stopping and starting. I try to adjust my speed to make it so I don't have to stop so much, but crawl forward instead, which is good practice for balance skills.

So I communte about 2 hours a day, 30 minutes of which is stop-and-go freeway stuff, and the rest is 75 mph freeway. I still get 40 mpg. The Tenere has an average mpg, which can be reset at will, and it has an on-the-fly mpg meter as well. I could check the on-the-fly meter next time I'm stuck in traffic, but it only works if you are actually moving forward, so it wouldn't be too useful.

The on-the-fly meter is pretty cool as it adjusts itself instantaneously as you ride, showing you your mpg at that rate, sort of like the derivative of the overall mpg (i'm not a math guy so correct me if I'm wrong).

Oh, and the bike only has 1,400 miles on it. Gas mileage has improved from 36 to 40 already, and I bet it will get better yet. And i weigh 280 lbs.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #80
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
There are benefits to commuting on a bike: riders who commute were happier and had better cognative functions than those who didn't.

Read the study here: http://www.motorcycleinsurance.com/t...-a-motorcycle/
That's the big one, for me. I worked it out and was kidding myself that a commuter bike (Versys) was cheaper than the car in the long run (mpg much better, but smaller service intervals and tyre life).

But then I factored in:

- singing in my helmet
- lane splitting
- taking the scenic route home
- gunning it from the lights
- agility
- talking biker shit with other bikers

and I just had to keep my bike, even in difficult economic times.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #81
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
I'm actually suprised nobody has said anything about any of the 250 class bikes before this.
I had a WR250X and it is an absolute blast to ride. Sooooo much fun. Best commuter ever for a non-highway-lots-of-city commute.

On this bike it consistently got between 60 and 70mpg (US gallons). A longer commute might be a challenge as there is absolutely no wind or weather protection, highway ride is buzzy and uncomfortable.

For me, as a pure commuter I'd likely get either a Vespa. I generally prefer to keep my commute short enough for a bicycle though. Or for public transportation. Right now I'm using a car but that will change to bicycle and motorcycle with better weather ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #82
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I had a WR250 and found it horrible as a commuter bike, very uncomfortable in the seat and my neck would get stiff in 10 miles riding it for some reason. I got the super tenere and no it does not get the gas mileage the WR250 did, but I'd say 10mpg less or so.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #83
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdog76 View Post
Primarily for on road use & mpg's are a consideration, been looking @ the KTM adventure, new Honda 700, & the Yamaha Tenere any thoughts on these bikes?
WR250 and get 74 mpg. Just add a larger tank. For comfort and fuel efficiency get a Wee. You don't want to pay for premium gas do you?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I had a WR250 and found it horrible as a commuter bike, very uncomfortable in the seat and my neck would get stiff in 10 miles riding it for some reason.
interesting. I rode it on a 500 mile ride with busted ribs and in the cold. Wasn't big problem. My F800GS was way more uncomfortable. But I'm light and very slim. So, I don't need as much space on the seat as the typical American ...

Quote:
I got the super tenere and no it does not get the gas mileage the WR250 did, but I'd say 10mpg less or so.
I wouldn't even mention these two bikes in the same sentence ... other that "bikes from Yamaha are ..." They are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. But okay, people also think they need a Suburban to get their kid to soccer practice ...

Still prefer my commute on the bicycle.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #85
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
I'm jealous of being close enough to commute by bicycle, mine is 100 miles round trip.

Also I did 450 miles on my vstrom today, everything from 100mph turnpike, fast sweeping twisties, tight bumpy twisties, fast (60 mph) dirt roads, and tight dirt roads with low water crossings, even got that fat pig off the ground a couple of times, and she took it all like a champ! I was smiling all day at its comfort and versatility! tomorrow morning is new tires and oil and she will be back in commute mode for Sunday!

sooner02r1 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 08:30 PM
sooner02r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #86
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
I'm jealous of being close enough to commute by bicycle, mine is 100 miles round trip.

Also I did 450 miles on my vstrom today, everything from 100mph turnpike, fast sweeping twisties, tight bumpy twisties, fast (60 mph) dirt roads, and tight dirt roads with low water crossings, even got that fat pig off the ground a couple of times, and she took it all like a champ! I was smiling all day at its comfort and versatility! tomorrow morning is new tires and oil and she will be back in commute mode for Sunday!
You sir, use the ADVENTURE motorcycle as it should be used

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #87
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
I had a WR250 and found it horrible as a commuter bike,
Surely you jest.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #88
DPJK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdog76 View Post
Wow.. Didn't mean to start a fight just looking for some info. Going in Saturday to sign the paperwork on my 2012 Adventure 650, cant wait looks sweet in black. Got the dealer to throw in the aluminum top case to match the side cases so I am pretty happy. Thanks to all for the advice!

Congratulations on the new Strom,

I put about 400 miles on my 2012 DL650 during its first week, then left town for work for a week. First tank I ran 210 miles before the little blinking fuel indicater let me know that I might eventually need to get more fuel. My commute is about 110 miles a day, half highway and half twisting river road. I have ridden dirtbikes, cruisers, my wifes scooter, etc. for years and can't name another bike I would even consider taking for a spin if it was sitting in my garage.

I put a center stand, under cowling (plastic "protection), handgrips, topbox, 12V plug and wired in a switched wire to run my gerbing gloves. First commute had me arrive to work with a temp of 25 degrees F. Warm hands make for a safe ride.

I think you are going to be exceptionally happy with your new ride. If you end up having any questions let me know.
DPJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #89
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPJK View Post
and can't name another bike I would even consider taking for a spin if it was sitting in my garage.

Mercy, that'd be a big ass lie if I was tellin' it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #90
Algarve Nick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Buell Ulysses.
Algarve Nick is offline   Reply With Quote