Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
maxjewell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Selling a US bike to an Argentinean: Problem?

Hi there,
I am selling a KTM640 adv. here in Argentina. I currently have two Argentinean's interested in buying the bike. They want to buy it illegally. I have imported the bike in my name, and am wondering the consequences of not exporting the bike. I plan on returning to Argentina in the future. My main concern is will I have any problems leaving or returning to the country with out exporting the bike? A side concern is what would happen if this guy gets in trouble on my bike and it traces back to me, and they figure out that I have illegally sold the bike. Any thoughts? Thanks!
maxjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
It's imposible to do paperworks for locals (argentinians).
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjewell View Post
Hi there,
I am selling a KTM640 adv. here in Argentina. I currently have two Argentinean's interested in buying the bike. They want to buy it illegally. I have imported the bike in my name, and am wondering the consequences of not exporting the bike. I plan on returning to Argentina in the future. My main concern is will I have any problems leaving or returning to the country with out exporting the bike? A side concern is what would happen if this guy gets in trouble on my bike and it traces back to me, and they figure out that I have illegally sold the bike. Any thoughts? Thanks!
According to my friends in Argentina there are ways to illegally purchase an imported bike and get it registered to appear legal. Not sure what they do but I gather it's quite an involved process on their side.

My own anecdotal experience is that I don't think the aduana and immigration systems are connected well enough that your passport would be linked to an un-exported bike upon your return. This is just my opinion and obviously you'll want to balance that risk with the premium you're getting for your 640.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
maxjewell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

Awsome, Thank you guys.
maxjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
Why not just do your transaction in the no mans land between borders?

I agree that the customs and immigration systems don't seem too coordinated, but when I was leaving Argentina a few years ago, I got held up at customs for a couple of hours, while they tried to figure out what I had done with my bike.

Some countries that seem to be doing things on paper, without computerizing everything, are actually computerizing everything in a remote location. There might be a backlog of anywhere from a few days to a few months, but eventually, those bean-counters count everything.

I don't think it's worth it.

So what if somebody wants to buy your bike, or your stuff, or whatever. Right now we don't have to post a bond to get a bike temporarily imported to Latin America countries, but if too many people do the illegal import thing, that could change.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Why not just do your transaction in the no mans land between borders?
I was going to post the same thing, but I realized that his local buyer would then have to import the bike. That's what he's trying to avoid. The local buyer wants to take possession of a bike which is in-country without a temporary import registered in his name.

markharf screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 08:54 PM Reason: clarity
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Manolito
Patagonia guide

In Punta Arenas (Chile), chilean are able to do de paper work legaly
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
fer48arg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cry

Today in Argentina it's very dificult to import a NEW motorcycle, in fact, there are a few containers waiting in aduana with the bikes nationalized (bmw,triumph,harley etc), but the new policy of importing thing is one dollar in , one dollar out.Some years ago it was posible to import a used motorcycle, but today it's near to imposible.I have a friend who buy a buell in california and ride to argentina it took 3 years to nationalizacion. I don't know about problems to you, a brasilian leave his motorcycle in Ushuaia, and come back one year later, no problems with aduana, but remember things have change here.
fer48arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
In Punta Arenas (Chile), chilean are able to do de paper work legaly
any recommendations on advertising there besides driving around with a Se Vende sign?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
99% of it is knowing the right people. Anything can be done trust me
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
if you know "the guy", and he is willing ( $$$) you can do almost anithing here.
is sad, but is true

H
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesiu View Post
any recommendations on advertising there besides driving around with a Se Vende sign?
No, I live near Ushuaia and i've seen many of them going to Punta Arenas 'cause they could sell legaly their bikes.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Max, One thought someone had was maybe they will fine you when you try to re-enter some day. If so hopefully less than your profit. Have caution against buyers shifting their import costs to you. You might consult a local immigration attorney?
Was great riding with you Max. I'm in Rio de Janeiro now and the Friday before Carnaval. Rode again with Noel & Paula from Chile to Salta, Argentina! :)
Jay
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Salva
@shp224

Oddometer: 19
Max: as some fellows said, there is no way to legally sell your bike in Argentina. You won't have any problems to keep it in Argentina longer than the 180 days you are allowed to, and you may even as for an extension (not that easy but feasible).

I've been living in Argentina and Chile for a while and can assure you nobody will ask if you go out of the country without your bike. However, if you plan to enter again with another vehicle the missing one will pop out!

If you want to get rid of your bike, the safest way is to go to Punta Arenas o Iquique, in Chile, and legally sold it there, I can even help you in Punta Arenas. There is another thread about that in this forum.
Best,

Salva
Salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
The bike is not linked to your passport in AR. No one will say "boo" if you leave the country without the bike.
The only way the bike is tied to you is via the registration plate#, keep/destroy the plate/title when you sell it to the Argentine.
Let them do the under the table process of licensing.
The government there is in shambles and on the verge of collapse. They can hardly track their own military much less the VIN# of a tourist motorcycle.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote