User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Just beggin' for it. Oil question.

I bought Mama a '74 Kawasaki F7 175 as a learner bike. What can I use in the oil injection system? What CAN'T I use? Thanks for taking the time... Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Do you know what the previous owner used? That would probably be a good choice.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Stromius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Back in the day manuals recommended conventional oil (ie SAE 30 in the case for my 69 Yamaha) but now days, 2 cycle oil if fine and won't foul your spark plug. Stay away from pure synthetic I have heard for older bikes. PO is also a good idea.

Be sure to prime the system following the manual and to make sure it's also not clogged.

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your insight guys. The PO hasn't registered the bike since 1997, and I'm guessing she hasn't changed the oil since then either. Oil technology has come a long way since 1974. I can't tell with my nose what is in the tank. It stinks. I don't have any idea what owners of antique 2-strokes are using instead of the recommended 30 wt. car oil which wasn't even cutting edge lubrication in 1974. I'm leaning towards a dedicated 2-stroke oil for an air cooled engine. I assume I can't go very wrong with that. Thanks again, Kelly.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Stromius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Just to clarify you'll have two oil systems in most 2 strokes. The tranmission/clutch will normally have something like 10w/30 (like my Yamaha) and a separate oil tank that is fed by hose to the carburetor and mixes with the air/gas into the combustion chamber and crank. Probably should drain both and start with fresh oils. Good luck!

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

OK. Go to the motorcycle shop and pick a 2 stroke oil. Honestly if it's recommended for injector use ya can't go wrong. While your at the shop pick up a couple spark plugs. the reason will become clear later.

To bleed the system start by draining the tank and supply line by disconnecting the line at the pump and draning. Reconnect the line and fill with your selected oil. Then on to the pump. Somewhere on the pump body there should be a screw (often with a copper washer underneath). I looked at a parts blow up of the pump and right where the supply line comes into the pump there's a bolt. I believe that would be the bleed screw. Image here. Unscrew that and allow oil to drain until it becomes clean new oil. They're usually different colors so that helps determine when to stop. I like to let them sit for a couple hours for bubbles to work their way out. Probably doesn't do a thing but I feel better. I start the bike and pull the pump cable all the way out so maximum oil is being pumped for 30 seconds or so at idle. You'll know it's working 'cause there will be SMOKE. This is where the spark plugs might come in to play.

And go ride the bike. Enjoy.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
empirecycleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Oil

My 1973 Yamaha 175 enduro always fouled plugs back in the day....bought it new. These days you can get good oil from any motorcycle dealer for the injector system. Yamaha makes a synthetic blend that should work well and is not too pricey. I use it to premix for my CR 250 at 50: 1 and it works well and have never fouled a plug. I forget the name of that lube but your Yammy dealer will know it.....not like they have too many Yamaha brand 2 stroke lubes!
empirecycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,752
You wanted an oil thread.. so here ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromius View Post
Back in the day manuals recommended conventional oil (ie SAE 30 in the case for my 69 Yamaha) but now days, 2 cycle oil if fine and won't foul your spark plug. Stay away from pure synthetic I have heard for older bikes. PO is also a good idea.

Be sure to prime the system following the manual and to make sure it's also not clogged.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement concerning the synthetics. They truly are superior in some ways. One important aspect of the synthetic 2t oils is they have a much higher flash point. Meaning, they dont burn as completely in the combustion chamber and thus create alot less carbon build up. While providing equal or superior lubricating properties which is evident in the higher ratio recommendations being seen these days. Sometimes as high as 100:1 My only recommendation would be to make sure to get an oil formulated for injection systems because the viscosity has a bearing on the amount being pumped by the injector. I made the switch to synthetic 2t oil years ago and have had no problems, even in my '77' DT 400, In fact, the only difference I have noticed is that I foul alot less plugs these days.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirecycleman View Post
My 1973 Yamaha 175 enduro always fouled plugs back in the day....bought it new. These days you can get good oil from any motorcycle dealer for the injector system. Yamaha makes a synthetic blend that should work well and is not too pricey. I use it to premix for my CR 250 at 50: 1 and it works well and have never fouled a plug. I forget the name of that lube but your Yammy dealer will know it.....not like they have too many Yamaha brand 2 stroke lubes!
I too have heard good things about the Yamaha brand synthetic injection oil. I am currently working on a gallon of Blue Marbel brand synthetic given to me by a MX racing friend of mine. Once gone I will be reaching for a bottle of the Yammie oil.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah I run synthetic in my 1980 YZ465. 32 years and only on the second oversize.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank You all very much. That's exactly the sort of banter I was hoping for. I now am armed with enough information to at least know what to shop for. We aren't quite ready to attempt to start the bike. We need to change fluids and complete our clean up. My wife (Tracy) is very involved in this bike, as it is hers. The clean up portion of this is actually much more than just cleaning. Tracy is studying her bike as progress moves along. She has been a passenger for many years, but has never owned a bike. This shall be her baptismal...

This pic was taken as soon as the bike was brought home. We've done some cleaning since then. The bike looks pretty stock. Does anyone know why there's a chain which runs from the brake pedal to the front engine mount? Enough for now. Thanks again, Kelly.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
the chain from the mount to pedal is so incase of and laydown or clipping a rock it wont taco the lever all the way back and still make the lever useable..somebody added that...some guys still do the same thing now adays
JeffS77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,326
If you are going to run a synthetic oil drain your system first get all the old oil out, and then happy riding

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Thank You all very much. That's exactly the sort of banter I was hoping for. I now am armed with enough information to at least know what to shop for. We aren't quite ready to attempt to start the bike. We need to change fluids and complete our clean up. My wife (Tracy) is very involved in this bike, as it is hers. The clean up portion of this is actually much more than just cleaning. Tracy is studying her bike as progress moves along. She has been a passenger for many years, but has never owned a bike. This shall be her baptismal...

This pic was taken as soon as the bike was brought home. We've done some cleaning since then. The bike looks pretty stock. Does anyone know why there's a chain which runs from the brake pedal to the front engine mount? Enough for now. Thanks again, Kelly.
Ive just got to say. Ive always had a soft spot for pre 80`s 2 strokes, and you guys in the US seem to have a far better supply of whole bikes running around than we have here in Australia. Guess we must have been harder on em and took less care of them, than you guys.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta View Post
Ive just got to say. Ive always had a soft spot for pre 80`s 2 strokes, and you guys in the US seem to have a far better supply of whole bikes running around than we have here in Australia. Guess we must have been harder on em and took less care of them, than you guys.

no you guys probably actually used your...everybody around here owns a bike but never rides them
JeffS77 is online now   Reply With Quote