Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #23341
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Its a crankset or chainset depending upon your choice. Yes a DA (Dura Ace) crankset bought from a Uk retailer in 1977.
Ah. I had cassette stuck in my head, but you were talking old school, so I was confused.....
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #23342
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
So... I've been in Norman Oklahoma for the last week for training and the weather has been divine. Well it turn out the housing facility has a few bikes available for rent with a choice between mtn and beach cruiser. Wednesday was perfect weather wise so I rented a mtn bike after class and did a 26 mile loop through some neighboring towns. It is deceiving how hilly it is here since it looks flat haha. I felt really good after that ride so yesterday I thought I would go out again. Plotted a new course out around Lake Thunderbird and headed out. The first corner I pass I get right hooked by a school bus... Now it is a lot windier than last ride and this kinda sucks too. Figuring on dodging the headwind I turn into my loop and go the opposite direction from the plan. Once committed I find that there is headwind no matter which way I go. Ten miles later and I miss my turn and ride into the state park at the lake instead for a bonus of two extra miles. Should I go for it or turn back? Ya'll know how the brain works when exercising hard so I went for it. On a positive note the wind quit once the sun went down, but the temps dropped from mid 70's to mid 40's... Finished the last 5 miles in the dark with no lights. Did I mention that the designated bike lane roads in Norman have an extra 2 to 4 inches of road beyond the white line for a total of 2 to 4 inches? 3 hours 40 miles 12.5 mph average and I am toast. And frozen. It sucked so bad I think I will wait a day or two before I do it again.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #23343
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So, I just got back from my first off-road excursion. Man, was that ever tiring. Not tiring like riding for hours on my road bike, but more like a hard workout at the gym, pushing my muscles to failure on every set. I thought I was gonna puke at one point. Maybe that Chinese fast food for lunch was a mistake.
It's definitely more intense than road riding. I think that's why MTBers tend to make excellent roadies. There are many ex-pro MTBers in the world tour peloton.

I never eat, before getting on the MTB. I did it once and was , a couple miles in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
And this is who followed me home .
My very first 29er. 2 x 10 is quite awesome too.
Sweet! And, 2X10 does rock.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #23344
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Pedals off = 6mm allen, or a 8mm allen, or a 15mm open-end wrench. Turn towards the back of the bike *on both sides*
Unfortunately the pedals on her bike use a TORX pattern rather than the allens. I was surprised and was sure it was an SAE size rather than metric. Close examination (and pulling out some dirt) showed them me the splines. I'll have her bikes ready to rack before dark. Now we just need the 1st snow of the year to vacate. We make it all winter long with a few flurries and on March 1st get slammed with snow and ice. Snowing out here right now actually.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #23345
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
55mi in 3:21 over 4500' of climbing. Not stopping and smelling the roses!

M
Y'all were haulin' the mail for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Sweet! And, 2X10 does rock.
+2. My new MTB is 2x10 and I'm never going back to a triple.

Picked up a Garmin Edge 500 from my LBS the other day for the "bro price". Now I can "reliably and accurately capture all my performance metrics in order to develop an effective custom training program." At least, that's how I justified the purchase to TheWifester.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #23346
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
Unfortunately the pedals on her bike use a TORX pattern rather than the allens. I was surprised and was sure it was an SAE size rather than metric. Close examination (and pulling out some dirt) showed them me the splines. I'll have her bikes ready to rack before dark. Now we just need the 1st snow of the year to vacate. We make it all winter long with a few flurries and on March 1st get slammed with snow and ice. Snowing out here right now actually.
ATACs right?

Old = 6mm allen
New = 8mm allen

I've got both old and new ATACs

If they're not ATACs, ignore me

M
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #23347
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
It's definitely more intense than road riding.
'Intense' is putting it mildly. Unlike a road bike, you can't relax and just coast a while to recover; you have to pedal constantly or the bike will roll to a stop in just a few feet. Going through sand and deep grass was like riding through glue, and the slower you go, the more energy it seems to consume.

Quote:
I never eat, before getting on the MTB. I did it once and was , a couple miles in.
But if you don't eat before a ride, how do you replenish all those calories you're burning up?

Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should stick to road bikes.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #23348
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But if you don't eat before a ride, how do you replenish all those calories you're burning up?
I usually eat a small bowl of cereal, a couple hours before I hit the trail. Also, riding on an empty stomach (fasting) is good for burning fat stores. Otherwise, I'll just snack on a Kashi bar.

Quote:
Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should stick to road bikes.
Means you need that new bike.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #23349
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994

Quote:

Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should try a recumbent
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #23350
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Means you need that new bike.
Strange, that's just what the salesman at the bike store said.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #23351
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Win.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #23352
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Good job!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #23353
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
2:45 on the bike with 3000' of climbing (or so) Lots of rolly. Not too much just 'up.'

Gonna play UW Hockey later too, so thankfully there were a coupla slow doods with us.

M
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #23354
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
heh. this is a kid my son went to k-12 with...

[I muted the soundtrack when I watched]

it takes a minute or so to get out of the jump parks and phase into the trail riding....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #23355
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

So yesterday I went back to the bike store to pick up some spare inner tubes and a tire patch kit. What I didn't realize at the time was that a Trek X-Caliber would be followed me home.

Thanks to all those on this thread who helped narrow down my search - and to the honest salesman who convinced me that buying a $5000 CF mountain bike made no sense in my case.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: