ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
I would think a 2" lowered DRZ 400 would be a great bike.
Or the lowered KLX 250 would be good too.
With gained experience and a 31" inseam you could ride any bike of your desire.
Flat footed at a standstill is not really a necessary thing, or correct. Its really just a confidence gainer while getting your experience.

How many miles a day you want to ride? And how fast?
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Mullet Bullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
i have to say, i ride a DRZ400 and its a great bike, i can cruse on the freeway between trips and hop on some single track between the slabs.

Check Out my Day Trips http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753176
Mullet Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Valkiera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Crap, had a great post going and the cat hits the power button on the plug strip!!!

Okay so the new version...

Thanks everyone for the ideas and offers.

I've sat on quite a few, and fiddled with them a bit, TW200 to Tiger800. I can flat foot (or very close) many of the less strongly trail oriented ones, or would in riding boots, except the KLR and WR250R I'd need platform boots! So they would need to be lowered to give it a fair assessment. One that I haven't found to sit on and play with is a KLX250S, the local shop doesn't have one.

The V-Strom DL650 just felt big, maybe something I'd feel good with after a year or two on a smaller bike. I could get two feet down in riding boots, or very close.

The two that seemed to feel the best size wise was the DR650SE (didn't care for the seat, but that can be replaced/fixed. It was tall but manageable) and G650GS. I also felt comfortable on the newer F650GS and Tiger, but I think those two might be too much power for this newbie. Of the smaller 200-250ish size, the XT250 fit nice, but I'm not sure about longer trips on it, but I could see it being a blast on trails, and rougher terrain.

I'd imagine most of my riding would be on some sort of road, I know forest service roads can get a bit dodgy. I can always turn around, may not be a neat and tidy U-turn, more like a 27 point turn, but easier than a single track! About the hardest I see me trying is the Washington discovery route with a group in a couple years, I could provide the comedy relief. I live over on the Kitsap Peninsula, in an area that has some good 2 lane roads to learn on, and a church parking lot about 3 miles away! The Olympic Peninsula is easy to get to for me too, the Staircase area is about an hour away. This is the type of riding I'd like to do on the weekends, with some camping tossed in. I would also commute to work, at times, 30 mile round trip.

I think I'm leaning toward the G650GS, if it's a tame enough bike for a rookie. The 650GS was a regular frame and seat. I sat on a lowered frame and seat, actually had a bit of a bend at the knee. A good bit of my riding may be solo, so I want something friendly enough while I learn and explore. I'm not about fast, just fun and able to keep up if I join a group ride.

Again thanks everyone, and let me know if you feel my thinking is sound or a bunch of phooey.

Val
Valkiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,433
Val, I think you might want to go here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669666
The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
The G650GS would be. Great bike

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
The DR650 is designed to be lowered. From Suzuki's website: "The seat height can be lowered 40mm (1.6-inch) with suspension modifications performed by a dealer."

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...sport#Features
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkiera View Post
I also felt comfortable on the newer F650GS and Tiger, but I think those two might be too much power for this newbie.
Only if you lose control of your right wrist.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 10:22 PM
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
KLR 650. Inexpensive, lots of them around, get and 07 or older. Can be lowered. I ride a stock hight KLR and my inseam is only 30 inches. The seat is much better than the DR's in my opinion. Will go 70 mph all day but is servicable off road. The Main attraction of the KLR is that it is good for everything and the best value in motorcycles today.
k7tbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
A G650GS would be a great choice - glad you had a chance to sit on one. They aren't appreciably different from the older (single cylinder) F650GS, and you can find those in great shape, used, for very reasonable prices.
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #25
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
DR650 for sure is what you need, its very forgiving, versatile, simple, dependable... you will not be disappointed. In its stock form I believe its the closest to 50/50 riding. (on/off road) each owner of a dr650 has modded their bike to suit their interests, many times this is in the direction of a super-moto (street riding only) or in the opposite direction a hardcore cross-country all terrain adventure machine.

At least test ride one, many wish they had discovered it sooner. The bike can pretty much be what you want it to.

My 2 cents
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #26
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
learning to ride

Get some profesional advise, and ask the instructors at your rider training class what they would recomend.
Most people will agree you can't learn everything about riding motorcycles in a weekend. I would say it takes 6 months before you will really stop feeling like a learner. I was suggesting riding a learner bike for 6 months then getting a bike that will stay with you for years.
Wait until after you pass the class before you buy a bike, you'll have a better perstpective.
Good luck, have and have fun bike shopping!
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #27
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,247
get something light.

those big 650s are not ideal starter bikes IMO. go try out Turnslefts KLX.. it is comfortable and easy to manage. 250-400cc will get you anywhere you want to go. you should have a bike light enough that you can pick it up if it falls over. I wouldnt want my wife throwing her back out trying to pick up the xr650l
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
redbastard and N16ht5 are dead on. get some lessons. your learning curve is much faster on a small bike, 250 ideally, 400 max then a larger bike. buy it right you wont lose hardly any $$. ride it and learn 6mo-1 yr what ever, then get the bigger bike. ask a MSF instructor, you will learn faster ( safer) starting on a small bike.
I have a XT225 going on the block soon, if you want a test ride on one.
with weight of larger bikes its slow speed that causes problems, work on balance etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
My gf has a dr650 lowered with a low Sargent Seat. She loves it, but she cannot pick it up when its down. If you're going to be riding trails solo, id agree with the last three post and get something smaller.
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
DRZs are still 300 lb bikes. They can be lowered my wife rides one. She also has a XT225, The brakes and suspension keep it at home most of the time.