Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #1981
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
My son and I rode my Bikes to his Church last Friday for a Men's Conference they were having.
I rode my 06 KLR and let my son ride my 95 E 900 Elefant!

Yea, I know the fender is off it. The dang thing broke in half the other day, so I'm going to make a copy of it in steel with my.Planishing Hammer.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1982
cdms2000
n00b

Oddometer: 3
a couple of questions

my sidestand flicks up when i lift bike .Is this standard or am i missing a spring ?.

there is a double spring fitted to one mounting but there is another mounting on stand with nothing fitted

also my right hand petcock has had some form of brazing repair .Are the wires for the fuel warning light supposed to go to this petcock ? , as they are not connected .
cdms2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #1983
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdms2000 View Post
my sidestand flicks up when i lift bike .Is this standard or am i missing a spring ?.

there is a double spring fitted to one mounting but there is another mounting on stand with nothing fitted

also my right hand petcock has had some form of brazing repair .Are the wires for the fuel warning light supposed to go to this petcock ? , as they are not connected .

The side stand should flick up in standard installation.

The wires on the right petcock are standard on some Elefants.

BTW, every Elefant is different. At Cagiva they installed what they've got on the shelf, that particular day.

You see the wires often fixed with glue.
Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #1984
Touring XR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Finally

After more than 10 years on the fence, I've finally joined the herd. RonS has gratiously turned over the responsibility for the care and feeding of his (and formerly Dennis G's) '94 e900. Now to solve the high speed fuel flow issue and get this lovely bike out there where it belongs.

I've been lurking the Elefant community for a long time. It's about time I got one.

Geoff
Touring XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #1985
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring XR View Post
After more than 10 years on the fence, I've finally joined the herd. RonS has gratiously turned over the responsibility for the care and feeding of his (and formerly Dennis G's) '94 e900. Now to solve the high speed fuel flow issue and get this lovely bike out there where it belongs.

I've been lurking the Elefant community for a long time. It's about time I got one.

Geoff
You sir have excellent taste in motorcycles

Been checking to see if you'd fess up about stealing my bike Hopefully you have more time than I did/do to get the fueling sorted out. I forgot to mention that someone here abouts mentioned that checking the fuel pump pressure would be worthwhile. I'm doubting that's it though as the issue only seems to be with one of the carbs. You sound like you have actually worked on bikes more than I have but one of the things I was going to do was pop the top and check the diaphragms. If the needle was not lifting adequately that would be one potential cause and a torn or poorly installed diaphragm would cause that. The other thing I was going to check was to make sure that there were not any leaks between the back side of the carbs and the intakes. When I had the valve adjustment done I got the bike back and it was running poorly. One of the issues turned out that the mechanic hadn't tightened the hose clamps on the side that the carbs drop into. It was sucking air. The other thing he screwed up was that he tried to adjust the carb balance to make it appears as if it was running fine. I corrected those problems. Absent those being the issue my plan was to take a look at the function of the carb slides, the float level, the needle itself, blow out the high speed passages and, well you know the drill better than I do. Have fun with it and ride the piss out of it. Don't let it sit and rot like I did.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #1986
Touring XR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hey Ron! Working to check things off the list. Then I will be riding the wheels off it. And I keep looking at the WP forks off my old Husaberg.....
Touring XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1987
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
fuel flow

check the inside of the tank.some of the tanks were known to start breaking down.small fibers can clog the fuel filters and carbs.the pump is used at start/up then creates a siphone effect to keep the gas flowing so i doubt its the pump.would'nt hurt to tighten the screws on the pump there might be a small air leak at the bladder in the pump.these problems are common with the old carb'ed models.good luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #1988
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaburro View Post
check the inside of the tank.some of the tanks were known to start breaking down.small fibers can clog the fuel filters and carbs.the pump is used at start/up then creates a siphone effect to keep the gas flowing so i doubt its the pump.would'nt hurt to tighten the screws on the pump there might be a small air leak at the bladder in the pump.these problems are common with the old carb'ed models.good luck.
The trouble is that it only seems like one carb has a problem. The thing was running perfectly before I parked it and before I had the valves adjusted.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #1989
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
This one going up for sale ...

I'm going to put this one up for sale on the FleaMarket, but thought I'd give the real Ducati/Cagiva Elefant folks the first look... too many projects in too small of a shop. Took photos this morning.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #1990
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 356
Nice looking bike.
Fess up some details
Mileage, service details, price ect....
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #1991
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
probably traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800SSDuc View Post
Nice looking bike.
Fess up some details
Mileage, service details, price ect....
12,500 miles

It looks like this one is getting traded off to one of the local Austin Ducati gurus.
thanks for the interest.
-CLC
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #1992
greycountyduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
New Elefant Poster Here

Greetings from Ontario, Canada

After lurking for quite a while, and viewing many great stories and adventures, I've finally
made the effort to contribute.

I'm 53 and owned bikes since 16. First Ducati at 22. Still have it. A 1980 SSD Darmah.
More on that one to follow, when I figure some of this out. I had noticed an 'Old Ducati thread' some time back,
but don't seem to find it, now.

I'll be trying to post a pic here of my '94 E900, so if I've got a bit of trouble,
perhaps some kind person will help.

Cheers, Tom

greycountyduc screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 10:12 AM Reason: to post pic.
greycountyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #1993
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Welcome to the herd from a fellow (SD) Darmah and Elefant owner. My first Ducati ('74 750 Sport) at age 17. Just click on the little yellow icon at the top of the message editing window. You can only place a link to a photo stored elsewhere. No place here to upload it.

Bevelhead screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 12:23 PM
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1994
greycountyduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi Bevelhead,

Thanks for replying, nice bikes, ..the trouble I'm having is after I copy the embeddable links,
where do I then find the copy, to be able to paste it.

I've gotta ask, what about the Sport?
'01 Honda XR650L
greycountyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #1995
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I got a good deal on it. I traded a 94 KX500 ana 94 KTM300 dirt bikes for it. The p/owners have done alot of the mods to it and have kept it up pretty good. The bike used to be yellow and gray. I decided to go with the lucky set up. I striped it and did the paint, black and white. Had Sign Chief here in town do the art work on her.
The bikes real color was red. Took 2 months and 1800.00 to get it where I wanted it.

Sorry mod's, I posted in the wrong thread...this should be correct.

Kurt

Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote