Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

I want to go back for an overnighter and look around some more.
Sounds like fun.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,496
Last ride in 2011 and first ride of 2012

Winters here again, time to ride !

I couldn't shake anyone out for these two so , I went solo.

Dec. 31 , I headed to Smithfield to get a photo tag for the Central Ky. photo thread.
I was thinking about a hot drink and piece of pie. Denied, closed for the holidays.

So , I turned and flogged the bike 80 miles to the next shot so I could move the tag. Again denied , because The Voo-Doo Child beat me to it and posted while I was still on the road. No big though, I was out for a ride and had it. And my KLR turned over past 48,000 miles.
I got home 15 minutes after dark.
Happy New Year !!!

And now for a ride on 1-1-12.
Again no other takers.

I headed toward Midway for lunch and stopped here on Pisgah Pike for a break. There were a bunch of nuts under this Shellbark so, I picked up some for Keith who stratifies them and will start them in the spring.

I had fish and chips washed down with a couple of Bloody Marys, to ward off the cold, you know. The reasturant is the Grey Goose, good food and drinks, owned by another Keith ,I know.

There's a cold front moving in and the temps are dropping so, I head back to Jessamine County to take the hickory nuts to the first Keith.

Enjoy some Kentucky.

Brooklyn Bridge on U.S. 68 at the Ky. River.

68 used to run through this tunnel to a bridge that fell in , in the 50's.

The large stones were the footer for the old bridge.

I left the river and got on 1268 across the county.This stone bridge is over Jessamine Creek.

I spotted this SWEET Cadilac Fleetwood Limo on 1268. Pretty good shape, with a little love and a wheelbarrow full of cash it could be a dream ride. For you.

This is above Indian Falls. This property was bought up and fenced off because it was a popular place to party. Then with alcahol fueled decision making partiers ended up busted up on the rocks below.

Down the road the new pave ends and the road goes through a creek . Not this.

This.

I made it to Keith's place and was mobbed by puppies and chickens.

And sheep. Icelandic Sheep. Hardy , good wool and tasty to boot.

That's about it for this one. I hung out with Keith after giving over the hickory nuts til near dark then, scatted homeward.
Not a bad way to end one year and start a new one.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Great NYD ride report. I plan to ride down to High Bridge soon. Missed it on my last bluegrass loop.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Great NYD ride report. I plan to ride down to High Bridge soon. Missed it on my last bluegrass loop.
Thanks. I was only there a short while Saturday and got pics of trains crossing the bridge from both directions.

From the south.

Then from the north.
The park is a nice place for a picnic as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

K.B. takes the DV to D.C. to get an XV

A different sort of winter ride was hopping in my '84 Maxi Van and driving east to Richmond, Va. to pick up all of Thumpism's XV 920 stuff.When I got tired of driving Saturday night I pulled off I-64 and headed to Shenendo Lake state park to sleep. I was up before the sun cleared the trees, fixed a little breakfast and drove on to Richmond.
We loaded the bike and two spare motors and I saw it was a van full.As I had planned to camp in the van and ride to D.C and Delaware on my KLR, I could tell a change of plans was needed. So I explained my situation and asked if I could leave the van there and finish loading after my mini- tour.
Thumpism and wife agreed it was O.K. so , we off-loaded the KLR and both headed out of Richmond. Thumpism led the way on his Pacific Coast. We stopped by Velocity bike shop, of course being Sunday they were closed , so we window shopped.

After getting clear of town we switched bikes and I got to experience the Pacific Coast. Thumpism said my KLR was "more agricultural " than he remembered them being,

I rode on up 301 to Dalgren and crossed into Maryland. Maryland was a new state on my lifelist. Yea.

I went into city thinking it might be O.K. It's Sunday evening so, how bad could it be ? In a word , brutal. I had a mini van enter the highway as I was getting on a bridge and already had a car on my left. No hessitation on their part, they came into my space and I nailed it and cut in front of the other car.
It really didn't get better I pulled in and got this shot near the Washington Monument then crossed the 66 bridge to Arlington. I got a room and caught the Metro into the Smithsonian Station Monday morning.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 08:43 PM
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Monday morning I caught the bus to the Roslyn Metro Station and decended into the underworld.

And came out by the Mall.

Crossing the Mall to the Natural history Museum.

I checked out the dinos the this and that unending , then went to the Science and Industry Museum and did more of the same.

There were a few bikes in here. Shows we have evolved beyond the Dino's, maybe ?

The most important stuff in all of America is in the Smithsonian.
Van Halen's ax, Tony Hawk's board and Farrah's nipple.

I made in the door of the Air and Space Museum only to be turned around and shown the way out.
You don't have to go home. you just can't stay here.
My dogs were aching from the museum shuffle so when Speedy Pete offered a ped cab ride for $5 I was game.
Here we are on the inagural parade route on Pennsylvainia Ave.

Speedy Pete droppped me near the White House. The closest road to the South side was blocked off. Then after a bit a bunch of sirens fired up and off drove the Pres in a limo convoy led by seveal cop cars.
As I walked around to the North side I called my buddy Ratt in Hawaii. I was in conversation with him about his trip when I interupted him to say I was seeing something new. Cop Sportsters. The guy on this bike heard me and laughed.
These are Secret Service cop Sportsters, I learned.

Serveing and Protecting one and all.

The W.H.

There's a star walk, but only 20 or so stars on it.

So I grabbed a sandwich and multiple Yeunglings the caught the Metro back to Arlington.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tuesday , I got up and headed east accross the Potomac on the bike. I crossed the Arlington Memoriol Bridge to Independence Ave.

I found a questionable parking spot in front of the Air and Space Museum right at the begining of the Taxi only zone. It worked out though , the bike was undisturbed for the 2-3 hours I was there.

There's lots of cool stuff in the A&S but, some of the displays seemed a little tired. I didn't make to the new A&S so that's probably getting the attention these days.

The first plane to fly around the world. Open cockpit and all.

This is an inline OHC 6 cylinder WW1 plane engine built by BMW. It displaces 19 liters and puts out 140 hp at 1400 rpm.

One of the wildest bikes ever. Glenn Curtis built this bike using an air-cooled V-8 motor intended for a diregable. No clutch, no trans, open drive-shaft and bevel gears and a stirup brake that rubs against the rear tire .
How fast would you ride on it ?
In 1906 on Ormand Beach in Florida Glenn wicked it up to 136 mph on the sand !
He only ran one time and in one direction because the strap metal U-joint broke and he decided not to fix it.
I guess like Kenny Roberts years later he decided "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing ".

After touring the A&S I rode out of D.C. east toward the ocean crossing the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis, Md.

And on across Delaware, another new state on my life-list, yea, to end the day in Lewes,De. at the Cape May ferry terminal.

Setteling into another motel room after a few Yeuinglings I watched the weather on TV. Not looking real good for Wed. , high of 50 with 90% shot at rain. What are you going to do ? Ride and enjoy it.What else ?

I stopped here at the Delaware Seashore State Park to see the beach.

I ate an orange that I'd brought from Ky. that had originated in California and had carried it here in my tankbag from Richmond. I buried the peels in the sand.

Nice enough but, the rain started as I walked back to the bike and stayed with me the rest of the day.

This is the northern terminus of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel . The charge was $12.00 the same as for a car.

I mentioned to the toll taker that charging me the same as a car was a rip-off. She didn't care.

I rolled on through Virginia beach. Norfolk , Hampton and on back to Richmond .
When I got to the van I pulled off the windscreen and mirrors and Thumpism helped me reload the KLR and the rest of the XV 920 stuff.

With everything in the Maxi-van there wasn't room to sleep anymore so I drove all night returning back home at 6:15 am.
The trip totaled 1050 miles by van and 650 miles by bike.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 10:46 AM
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

3-11 - 12 Late winter ride on a spring like day.

Five of us met up at the Judy-Ray store for a ride to east-central Ky.

Bryan was rocking his new to him Aprilla 450 twin.

We stooped at this bridge in Madison County after about 35 miles.

In Irvine some gassed up and we picked up some sandwiches at the Shell/Subway store then rode to an abandoned river lock west of Irvine for a picnic .

After lunch RoadRanja led us on a series of gravel and paved roads to an old store.

Years ago before Kentucky bowed to hikers intrests and banned motorcycles from 95% of the Sheltowee Trace this little store was our lunch stop after riding the Ten Mile trail from Turkey Foot Campground. The Ten Mile was about a sweet of a little piece of single track as I've ever seen.

In the shed behind the store there was a decent 66 or 67 Fairlane 500 and a nice "74 F-100. My first car was a 66 GTA Fairlane and I drove a '74 F-100 for 17 years. Maybe I should make an offer ?

And on down the road.

The last place we stopped was Wildcat Mountain battle site.

All and all it was a great day out. I got home just after dark and had put on 225 miles on my KLR. The predicted high was 66f but, when we went through McKee the bank clock showed the magic # 70 f. Oh , yeah.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Is it a winter ride on a 78 degree day ?

This is my son , Caleb .When he came home today I had my M-900 out and ready for it's first ride of the year.

We ran toward Herrington Lake but, had to detour to Danville when my fuel light came on.

Crossing the Ky.River on 68

The gas station in Burgin was closed , but , Caleb spotted someones dream car.

Yeah , with a little time and money.

..Little more time and money...

Maybe too much time and money later , you could have a rebodied VW beetle !

Made it Danville without running short on fuel and on the way back home we switched bikes at Shakertown for the rest of the way.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 10:16 PM
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

I set my alarm for "What's goin' on ? It's still dark ! " and rode about 100 milkes through the fog to Madison , In. for a central ADV ride.
We went up a nice gravel lane that crossed the same creek multiple times.

Things went fine at first then, a couple of guys got into the slime on a water bar.

The slime will get you down !

I missed hooking up with Balto and LexLeroy for the ride up from Lexington, but we're altogether now !

The fellow looking in the creek had been slimed and an electrical dervice came off and went over the damn. He fished it out of the creek GPS ?

After the gravel part we hit the pavement into Friendship. A XRL 650 Honda rider got into this 90 degree turn a little hot and went down.

I talked to him later in Friendship and he showed me some strawberries. Defineately under GATT ed.

Part of the group , my KLR in the center.

And the rest , good turnout on a beautiful day .

And that was that , except for the 100 miles home through the twisties after a good Choclate Malt in Vevay, In.

In Lexington Bryan, Leroy and I went for a celebretory beer at the Country Boy Brewery. Good day.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pre-Thanksgiving stress test

I know it's a little early to have a Winter Sanity Ride , but , here's to the start of the Holiday Season

We met up at Ralph's place in Lexington. There was a total of 9, on 1 XRl 650, 1 GS 650, and 7 KLR's of various years.
We headed east through the country and got some sandwich's at a little store in Henry County. After a nice picnic in the park we headed for an unpaved road.
The last time we'd been on this road it had been dry and we breezed through , no problems.

It was less dry this time.

Unfortunately Mikes KLR and Wayne's GS had street orriented tires that proved that knobs are your friends.

Oh course I did my best to assure that it was going to be O.K. When anyone tipped over I yelled "It's alright, I've got a camera. " They were most appreciative.

And the good times roll.

I rode through the creek and followed the line pointed out to me. Unfortunately for Ump I didn't know he was trying to help and I painted him brown.

My bad.

The road improved.

Wayne's GS got a beak-ectomy.

One more spot of traction loss.

Another creek crossing then on to pavement and home.
No one jumped at the chance to go back through again when I said , "Let's go back, we've still got some daylight. "
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Dang Baker, I always miss the good times. I made an effort to catch up but turned around in time to make it home by dark.

I hope Wayne, Jay, and Mike don't get the idea that all rides involve that much picking up of muddy bikes, they may never ride again. I do believe the next set of tires on those three bikes will be bit more aggressive.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
For the KLR's

For the KLR's, I HIGHLY recommend SW Motec crash bar's. I had them on my '09 KLR, and they proved to do the job really well. The bike went down twice on the left, and twice on the right. I might add, both times on the right where due to the length of the side stand while on the side of the road.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...ation-dampened

Here is my KLR, with the SW Motoec crash bars, and luggage racks sporting some Givi bags. I might add the Givi bags also stand up to a lot of abuse. But if you go there take an extra latch. The first time I went down on the left, the latch broke, and I had to use an iPod charging cable to hold the lid shut .......

But, to the subject at hand, excellent ride report(s)!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

January and a warm spell for a change. Ride time.
Tuesday i rode to Richmond to see Pook and check out handy-work on the cars he builds.

He makes these Ariel Atom influenced exo-skeliton street cars . Most are Subaru powered but, he can accomadate the powerplant of your choice including V-8s.

First class work !

Saturday 5 of us got out in the warm under grey skies that threatened to dampen the roads. The threats didn't last long , and we were then riding in the rain.

We made it to Nonesuch and RoadRanga stopped to put on his blue rain booties.
It's hard to see the signs in the storefront windows , but they say Billiards and there's a sign for the Truth Community Church and the next window it says Ice Cold Beer the next one says Karaoke. This is a strore that covers all bases.

Next we rode through Woodford and Franklin counties , then stopped at the Cliffside for lunch. We got out of the rain for most of that part.

The rain came back as we headed to Switzer to the covered bridge.

In the old days people built these bridges with purpose to carry goods , these days they are reconsructed to be admired and imaginative kids use spray cans of paint to turn them into "art" galleries. At least they haven't burned this one.
Well, that's about all for this ride , after the bridge we all rode home to dry our stuff.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Pre - winter California loop

Well , I decided it was time to replace my F-350 with something and after a few nights checking out e-bay made an offer on a Ram 3500.
The deal was O.K. but the truck is in California , so time for a fly and drive. But what's that got to do with motorcycles ?
Rent a bike and spend a few days visiting , that's what.
So on Saturday morning,out of bed at 4 am, drive to the airport in Northern Ky. by 6 am, on the plane by 7 am, arrive in Denver by 8 am, on a different plane and arrive in L.A. before 11 am, taxi to Eagle Rider, pick up a Triumph 800 and out on the 405 going north by 12 noon.
Whew ! The whole process puts me in mind of the Paul Simon song about living in the age of miricles and wonders, this is a long distance call.

Damn nice bike, mine for 72 hrs.
I took the 405 to the 5 and got off in Gorman, home of the Hungry Valley Off Road riding area.Then up Pinnicle Mt. rd. to Lockwood Valley Road , where the fun stuff started.
The only excitment before that point was when , on the 5 my Silver Mercedes front door suddenly changed lanes. Observeing this I checked my mirrors and saw the PoPo had lit up and was in hot pursuit. I slowed and changed lanes and the heat bypassed me and tagged the Merc.

Not being at all fimiliar with the Triumph , I was flailing along enjoying it when i figured out that I had 60 + miles to go to reach Santa Maria and the bars were going away fast on the gas guage. Beside the bars is a sadistic countdown to 0 miles to go display.The only place I saw with gas pumps was locked up and the countdown said I could make it 27 miles, not bad but, town was more like 50 miles away by then.
So I tried to slow down a little and the counter went to 0 miles to go.And we just kept going and going over 20 more miles to Santa Maria and gas. I found my buddies newhome in Guadalupe and we loaded up in his Subaru and went out to dinner at Jocko's in Nippomo. Steak, drinks and off to sleep, a long day .

In the morning , Keith and I went in his F-250 up to Pismo to meet his surfing buds. Included in this group was a celebrity dad , Christina Applegates father, nice guy.

We looked around a while then went back to the house so I could get the Triumph and go fo a ride. We planned to meet up in Solvang at Virgil Ellings Motorcycle Museum. I got there eventually
but not before making a wrong turn and finding a road that was just too much fun to leave, eventually turning that into a 60 mile loop before starting out again. And finding the Museum.

Crocker

NSU

Villa

Husqvarna

Moto Guzzi 500 V-twin

Moto Guzzi 500 V-8 , replica

Great little museum, all high quality displays.
I remember Virgil racing at AHRMA meets and his son Jeff as well.

After the museum we met up again at Cold Water Springs Tavern, an old Wells Fargo stage stop for drinks, music and sandwichs.

The next morning we went through the veggie farms.

And out to Guadalupe Beach.

And dunes.

After saying good-byes , I headed south on the road I'd found by mistake the previous day. It was good again.

I connected to 160 and turned south to reach 33 which I followed to Ohai. 33 is a fun ride.

Ohai, then to Ventura to overnight at my sister in laws house. Up the next day at 6 am and on to Malibu on Highway 1.

Too early for the Net to be open.

On down the road I saw the north end of Muholland Drive and took it. It had been 36 years since I'd been on the road so I went on to the Rock Store.

Keith and I had ridden Kawasaki 4s from Kentucky to California in 1977 and we had made it to the Sunday morning bike gathering at the Rock Store . And here I was all alone with the parking lot to myself.
After that I retraced my path to the 1 and went to Hawthorne to return the bike.
That was pretty much the end of the fun part of the trip. The guys at Eagle Rider gave me a lift to the train station and I rode 4 trains to get to Union Station to catch a Metrolink train to Laguna Niguel where I met the trucks owner, paid him and drove off down 5 to connect with 8 to Yuma.
After visiting the dentist in Los Algodones [4 days] I went to Tucson, spent the night at another friends house then drove home in 2 days.