ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #31
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brian72's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A New English Town
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I think you would be missing something if you didn't stay with a scooter! If you need to ride the freeways, get a Burgman or Scarabeo 500 or such. I think you would be safer too with not having to learn to shift, clutch, and relearning to brake. You know the saying; "hard to teach an old dog new tricks". Not to say you are old, but you know what I mean as it is harder to learn new skills and make them instictive when you get older. Your're at an advantage; you don't have to overcome that rediculous "image" obstacle that former motorcyclist do once they become enlightened!
Just to be clear about that "image" thing. You're right.
Though that image tag can be placed upon you by others.
Having a reputation as a traveling biker - though I always viewed myself as a motorcycle rider - I find myself now having to explain or educate others about scooters. Eventhough I have no desire or obligation to do so.
__________________
http://ADVTV.org Adventure and Exploration.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: L.A.
Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
!......
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
...
hello. just want to thank all three of you gentlemen for your thoughtful responses to my question on the previous page. much appreciated....

....carry on!
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay
 
vortexau's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Just off the Warrego, S.E. Queensland
Oddometer: 1,539
Burgman - a good match to take on a Sidecar!



Just to show how completely even the Burgman AN400 (as a 400cc powered conveyance) meshes into the world of motorcycling . . . . . . consider the topic of Burgman Sidecar combinations!

Many modern motorcycles need additional frame components when the owner chooses to add on a sidecar. This is because the engine can be mounted to undertake some functions traditionally provided by a full-cradle frame; that of of tying the front end to the back end.


Subframe components built to assist mounting a sidecar to a BMW K100. This BMW uses its engine as a stressed member.



AN400 frame

Taking in how Suzuki puts their Burgmans togather ---- a modern full-cradle frame! So a maxi-scooter like this has all the structural requirements to take on the addition of a sidecar! No sub-frame needed, like current sports-type motorcycles. Just the problem of having to find locations to run the attachments through the body-panels.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A modern 400cc Four-stroke single cylinder engine is quite a good match to powering a Sidecar combination. The Brits rode hundreds of outfits with 500cc Four-stroke singles in the thirties, forties, and fifties.

The scooter's CVT solves one niggle experienced with most motorcycle combinations - the swing forward of the sidecar when the clutch is closed during gear changes under acceleration! With no clutch there's no interruptions to the power delivery.
__________________
'77 BMW R100RS with Ural chair
'08 Suzuki AN650A Burgman (and trailer)
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #34
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brian72's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A New English Town
Oddometer: 205
Here are some pics and a video on the Burgman. Finally got around to capturing her on film.

I sold this -



To buy this -


And here is a video link with the new Nelson Rigg saddlebags installed.
http://youtu.be/m_ZP1IR41zw

Now if the weather breaks tomorrow it's off I go!
__________________
http://ADVTV.org Adventure and Exploration.

brian72 screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 03:34 PM Reason: added pics!
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
btcn
Beastly Adventurer
 
btcn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Morgan Hill CA
Oddometer: 2,880
Man that was a purdy Shadow! 750 right? I got me the 700 cc 85 verson love the bike.

But on the bright side, I here them new 750 Shadows are quite underpowered, due to trying to copy Harley's low end torque curve, BUT with only 750 cc that doesn't work out so well! Only like in the 40s in HP vs 62 HP on the old Shaders.

The Burgman will maybe have less power, but not buy a longshot. And y'all can always buy a nother bike if you regrate it and a bigger one like 1100 cc or an old 80s Shadow they's cheap.

But I don't think you's really gonna be a regreattin this here move.
__________________
85 Honda Shadow 700, 86 Honda Elite 150 deluxe, 2001 Honda Elite 80, 07 CRF 100, 07 CRF 50, 07 DRZ 250, 78 CB 400 Automatic [Project Bike]
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brian72's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A New English Town
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Man that was a purdy Shadow! 750 right? I got me the 700 cc 85 verson love the bike.

But on the bright side, I here them new 750 Shadows are quite underpowered, due to trying to copy Harley's low end torque curve, BUT with only 750 cc that doesn't work out so well! Only like in the 40s in HP vs 62 HP on the old Shaders.

The Burgman will maybe have less power, but not buy a longshot. And y'all can always buy a nother bike if you regrate it and a bigger one like 1100 cc or an old 80s Shadow they's cheap.

But I don't think you's really gonna be a regreattin this here move.
I've already owned the Shadow 1100, Buell Lightning and many, many more. I understand power, torque and speed well enough. The only thing the Burgman doesn't do as well as my previous motorcycles is travel at ten miles per hour over the highway speed limit comfortably. That being said. Traveling ten MPH comfortably on the highway is my least favorite riding activity.

So far so fun.
__________________
http://ADVTV.org Adventure and Exploration.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #37
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: L.A.
Oddometer: 956
scoot looks nice!. i like the vid. the saddlebags look great. i have a little story....

i was showing a couple neighbors friend's my scooter and they knew crap about them. or motorcycles. but they like them and think they are a little interesting as many people do. so i am outside on my laptop and am trying to explain the difference between the two, and remember the pic above. so i say 'look at this,' and click on here. i scroll down and say "this guy sold this," and showed them the bike

they were like "wow thats nice! its really cool, etc" and i say 'ok thats a motorcycle. he sold it and got this.' and i revealed the Burgman to them.

their eyes widened. "thats awesome! he got that!? aw thats even better!"

or something to that effect. thats the gist of it. they actually did like the Burgman better going on looks. which surprised me tbh. but i think that might be a more common opinion then many may think among non riding people. folks actually do like scooters
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #38
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brian72's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A New English Town
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
scoot looks nice!. i like the vid. the saddlebags look great. i have a little story....

i was showing a couple neighbors friend's my scooter and they knew crap about them. or motorcycles. but they like them and think they are a little interesting as many people do. so i am outside on my laptop and am trying to explain the difference between the two, and remember the pic above. so i say 'look at this,' and click on here. i scroll down and say "this guy sold this," and showed them the bike

they were like "wow thats nice! its really cool, etc" and i say 'ok thats a motorcycle. he sold it and got this.' and i revealed the Burgman to them.

their eyes widened. "thats awesome! he got that!? aw thats even better!"

or something to that effect. thats the gist of it. they actually did like the Burgman better going on looks. which surprised me tbh. but i think that might be a more common opinion then many may think among non riding people. folks actually do like scooters
Cool. Thanks for sharing the feedback on the two.
__________________
http://ADVTV.org Adventure and Exploration.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #39
InfernoST
Scooter Trash
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
I've already owned the Shadow 1100, Buell Lightning and many, many more. I understand power, torque and speed well enough. The only thing the Burgman doesn't do as well as my previous motorcycles is travel at ten miles per hour over the highway speed limit comfortably. That being said. Traveling ten MPH comfortably on the highway is my least favorite riding activity.

So far so fun.
The 07+ 400's have no problem with 10mph over the limit.
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brian72's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A New English Town
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
The 07+ 400's have no problem with 10mph over the limit.
Please let me clarify. I'm refering to my opinion of comfortable. Which means when you're traveling at 75MPH you have enough throttle and HP to get up to 95MPH quickly.

It would be an unrealistic expectation of 400 unmodified CC's to achieve that. I'm not saying the Burgman 400 doesn't cruise right along at 10 over highway speed limits and if your +07 can get from 75 to 95 quickly I stand corrected.

I was generalizing about the bike. My overal opinion thus far is that it does everything I like to do most, best. It does everything I like to do least, least best.

IMHO.
__________________
http://ADVTV.org Adventure and Exploration.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #41
soboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
soboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 2,269
My last street bike was a '04 Honda Shadow Aero 750. I have always liked the way cruisers look. My Shadow was a good looking motorcycle, it received compliments from everyone as to its appearance. Sounded really good also, mellow and throaty but not too loud. Enjoyable to ride if I was on a Sunday morning, "slow down and smell the roses" type ride. And it got fantastic mileage - I never got a tank below 60 mpg, amazing for a 750. I never had one single problem with it in the 4 years I owned it and maintenance was ridiculously easy.

But it wasn't all good - the Shadow was very slow for a 750, it was not good in the twisties at all. It scraped hard parts just riding normally around town. Braking was so-so, which was not that big a deal since it didn't like going fast. Its performance envelope was quite small and when ridden outside that envelope, things got nasty very quickly.

I replaced the Shadow with a new '09 T-Max. The difference in performance is night and day. The T-Max runs rings around the Shadow in every performance category - it is much quicker, handles a thousand times better (it is major fun in the twisties) and has much better brakes. Ergonomics, comfort, and carrying capacity are all better on the T-Max. So far, I am getting 56 mpg while riding at a much more enthusiastic pace than I ever did on the Aero. While the Shadow was fun to ride slow, the T-Max is great fun to ride at a more spirited pace, and is enjoyable to ride at any pace. I also think the T-Max looks great.

So to compare the two bikes, it is apples v. oranges. The T-Max does everything better than the Shadow (well, the Shadow sounded better - I'll give it that one concession).
__________________
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
InfernoST
Scooter Trash
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
Please let me clarify. I'm refering to my opinion of comfortable. Which means when you're traveling at 75MPH you have enough throttle and HP to get up to 95MPH quickly.

It would be an unrealistic expectation of 400 unmodified CC's to achieve that. I'm not saying the Burgman 400 doesn't cruise right along at 10 over highway speed limits and if your +07 can get from 75 to 95 quickly I stand corrected.

I was generalizing about the bike. My overal opinion thus far is that it does everything I like to do most, best. It does everything I like to do least, least best.

IMHO.
Understood. My 08 moves from 75 to 95 OK for me but by no means quickly.

InfernoST screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 11:33 AM
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #43
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer
 
MODNROD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest, West Oz
Oddometer: 1,841
I'm pretty sure I'm having my obligatory mid-life crisis. For most of my life I've had hotrods and superbikes, it's only really in the last few years I've even owned a small hatchback, but on the weekend I took a test ride on a Vespa 300GTS and a Burgie 400 to remind what an idiot I am for not having one yet.

Then again, I also just traded the hatchback for an old Supra TT, and the best part of riding the Burgie was to nonchalantly (in my own eyes anyway........) drape a toe over the edge of the front and just touch it around bends. If I tried that on the Vmax I'd be toast!

Come to think of it, with the Supra whizz-bang and touching toes again on a bike, maybe my mid-life crisis is over and I'm back to normal.........

Enjoy your Burgie mate, nice bikes.
__________________
Every ride's an adventure if you can't ride for crap
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ducati-Mons...lip-10329.html
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014