User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #61
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Eh? Wheels...

"You guys want them gold, and I can't wait to make them anything but gold. Guess it just isn't my style. Mine aren't perfect anyway, so no big loss."

I too have had a change of heart. My "gold" wheels are two different shades of gold, So now I'm thinking classic silver may be the way to go.

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #62
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post

Click on the photo to view slide show. http://www.photosbytink.com/bmwb&w/

TINK
Fuel line is for suckers!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #63
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,337

I'll be interested in what your color choice will be....
Everyone keeps asking me..."how do you like the color?????.."
I've been restrained to saying...it makes me hurl chunks...
I'm bending towards the silver smoke...silver hilights with black pockets...
just like the ones at the press conference!

danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #64
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
I'm bending towards the silver smoke...silver hilights with black pockets...
just like the ones at the press conference!

"Press conference"?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #65
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
"You guys want them gold, and I can't wait to make them anything but gold. Guess it just isn't my style. Mine aren't perfect anyway, so no big loss."

I too have had a change of heart. My "gold" wheels are two different shades of gold, So now I'm thinking classic silver may be the way to go.

TINK
Tink, I'm not kidding, I've got some time, snap a rear 3/4 shot or front 3/4 shot and I can sketch up some silver wheels with different levels of brightness, right quick.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #66
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 761
Just curious if the build died or just this thread? I'm in the process of un-cafe'ing my RT and heading in the S direction

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #67
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

No Time To Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit0rz View Post
Just curious if the build died or just this thread? I'm in the process of un-cafe'ing my RT and heading in the S direction
Oh the shame No, the "S" is not dead... just hibernating I seem to have too many others projects going on in my life right now, including a deal to by back a 1986 Honda 700S Nighthawk that I sold to a friend 12 years ago. Ya, right, just want I need TWO project bikes I don't have time to work on. I've got boxes of new parts for the "S", but no time to install them right now.

TINK
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #68
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Avon Roadrider AM26

Time to get motivated .... so I ordered a set of Avon Roadrider AM26 tires from American Motorcycle Tire for Project "S".

The Avon Roadrider is one of the few tires that come in old school BMW sizes 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear. New tubes coming too.

Saw a set of Avon Roadriders on this beautiful BSA powered custom BANKE built bike at last Sundays Vintage Bike OC

Stay tuned...

TINK
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #69
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,397
Man I wish they didn't make my bike weave like a mofo. I loved the older Avon Roadrunner, Super Venom, and AM22 tires. They're still available put only in race rubber. I tried a couple of different sets of AM26's plus a warrantied front AM26 they sent me. Even just a AM26 in back makes my bike weave. Nothing like the front but still . . . . I hope Avon starts making their older tires again in DOT rubber. I am running their race rubber right now but I could see gravel just eating them up. You can push the bike across a parking lot and the rocks stick to them like they are made of glue and that's before you ride it and heat them up!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #70
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

First time on Avon

Ya know supershaft I've run hot and cold on Avon for years, so this will be my first Avon experience. I finally decided I just need to try a pair of Avon for myself, I hope I have a good trip down memory lane with them.

As for the Project S bike, I don't really intend to ride the wheels off this bike once she's on the road. I have a 2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200/S and 2009 Honda ST1300 to flog if I get the need for speed. The BMW is just a cruiser/parking lot art bike for me, and as such I'm not going to be too critical about tires, that is if they perform within reason.
TINK
Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #71
supershaft
because I can

Bias ply Avons grip better than any other bias ply tire I have tried. I have been drifting tires on the street on a semi regular basis for decades and AVON race and street rubber sticks much better until they go off and then they still grip as good as a lot of tires out there. I am not talking about trail braking either! I have to slow down without them and some of my friends ride damn fast bikes so I don't want to give them up. They are all trying to talk me into getting a "real" bike but it isn't as fun riding a fast bike slow as it is riding a slow bike fast unless you just took off on ice cold tires. That's fun for a bit!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #72
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,764
Dude, you should think about reigning it in a little.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
Tink,

The RT bracket for the speedo/rev counter mounts them high, fitting the bracket from the non faired bikes looks much nicer. iMHO. You can probably pick one up for pennies from a dismantler.

Charles
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #74
supershaft
because I can

There are three or four different height speedo mounts that I can think of. Does anyone know what heights came with what model?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #75
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Low Rider Speedo Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Tink,

The RT bracket for the speedo/rev counter mounts them high, fitting the bracket from the non faired bikes looks much nicer. iMHO. You can probably pick one up for pennies from a dismantler.

Charles
Good point chasbmw. Hadn't really thought about it till you mentioned it. There was a "short" bracket on ebay for $21 delivered to the door, so I snatched it up. I've already got new rubber gromets in the "Grand BMW Box-O-Stuff" seeing as the 33 year old originals were cracked and hard.

Will still need to crack into the speedometer and clean and lub the insides seeing as the speedo needle dances like drink sailer from what I suspect is 33 year old grease.

TINK