User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #1111
Paulutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Eh? Necessity is the Mofo of Invention

I don't know if what I am doing is converting my 1985 honda shadow vt1100 to a dual sport, so much as it is making the bike more practical for my needs. I live on the Navajo reservation where most of the roads are not paved, with long distances of highway riding in between. I was trying to trade my shadow for an enduro and had some great offers, but in the end just couldn't give up the power and dependability of the bike I have. The soil here is very slippery clay and sand, though. And, unfortunately, I have a 15" shaft driven rear wheel for which I could not find a decent dual-purpose tire. So, I researched the microfiche and have determined that a 17" rear wheel from a 1982 VF750 appears to be the only option I have without having to change any of the gearing in the final drive or try to convert over to disc breaks in the rear. I bought a wheel off ebay for $20 that is on the way, so I'll be sure to post how it works out. I also have some new handle bars, some tubing to make pannier racks for my 40mm ammo cans with, and some fork socks coming (I went through my last seals pretty quickly out here.) My crash bars have gotten a lot of use here too, so I plan on keeping those with the hope that, at least, getting some tires that have some teeth might help alleviate their overuse. I'll also be making a skid plate. Maybe, in a year or two I can buy a new bike. In the mean time, I just gotta make do. By the way, I am possibly going to put a tire designed as a rear tire on the front, as I am putting a Dunlop 606D on the rear and the only comparable tire I could find that fit the front is a Pirelli tire that is actually a rear end tire, same size as my front. I imagine that I might have to be more careful in turns for awhile, but does anyone see any major problems with doing that? Also, anyone needing to do easy cross-referencing of parts might find http://www.powersportsplus.com to be a useful site.
Paulutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #1112
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Others put rears on the front. The thing that would concern me is the unidirectional tires. For instance, if you were to put a Shinko 705 rear tire on the front.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1113
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulutions View Post
I don't know if what I am doing is converting my 1985 honda shadow vt1100 to a dual sport, so much as it is making the bike more practical for my needs. I live on the Navajo reservation where most of the roads are not paved, with long distances of highway riding in between. I was trying to trade my shadow for an enduro and had some great offers, but in the end just couldn't give up the power and dependability of the bike I have. The soil here is very slippery clay and sand, though. And, unfortunately, I have a 15" shaft driven rear wheel for which I could not find a decent dual-purpose tire. So, I researched the microfiche and have determined that a 17" rear wheel from a 1982 VF750 appears to be the only option I have without having to change any of the gearing in the final drive or try to convert over to disc breaks in the rear. I bought a wheel off ebay for $20 that is on the way, so I'll be sure to post how it works out. I also have some new handle bars, some tubing to make pannier racks for my 40mm ammo cans with, and some fork socks coming (I went through my last seals pretty quickly out here.) My crash bars have gotten a lot of use here too, so I plan on keeping those with the hope that, at least, getting some tires that have some teeth might help alleviate their overuse. I'll also be making a skid plate. Maybe, in a year or two I can buy a new bike. In the mean time, I just gotta make do. By the way, I am possibly going to put a tire designed as a rear tire on the front, as I am putting a Dunlop 606D on the rear and the only comparable tire I could find that fit the front is a Pirelli tire that is actually a rear end tire, same size as my front. I imagine that I might have to be more careful in turns for awhile, but does anyone see any major problems with doing that? Also, anyone needing to do easy cross-referencing of parts might find http://www.powersportsplus.com to be a useful site.

Paulutions, Wow DaJaVu - seems you are doing exactly what I went through on my CX - see build link below:

Build link - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

Several pages on this bike build as time when for past couple years - but you can see where I went through some of the same issues, building skid plate, racks, swapped 16" rear wheel for 18" wheel on shaft drive.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #1114
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 253
[QUOTE=Paulutions;18131395]I don't know if what I am doing is converting my 1985 honda shadow vt1100 to a dual sport, so much as it is making the bike more practical for my needs.

I don't know if you could ever really call a honda shadow a dual sport but they can be surprisingly good on gravel. I ride my 1997 VT1100 ACE on gravel quite often. It handles it very well. I think it's weight helps it stay planted and the long wheel base helps with straight line stability. But all this goes out the window on pot holes and turns but you know that already.

I know this is a hotly debated issue but you could easily put a gripy car tire on the back and a back tire mounted backwards on the front. I use a car tire on the back. It's smoother on the rough and my floorboards don't allow me to lean over far enough to get more then about 1/3rd of the tread up off the road surface. I know some of you will hate this idea but I'm just saying. Many miles of experience tell a tale.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1115
Paulutions
Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Paulutions, Wow DaJaVu - seems you are doing exactly what I went through on my CX - see build link below:

Build link - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

Several pages on this bike build as time when for past couple years - but you can see where I went through some of the same issues, building skid plate, racks, swapped 16" rear wheel for 18" wheel on shaft drive.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Wow. That's something. I'm going to have to make due with out a machine shop or even the ability to use one, I guess. But, I hope you won't mind me badgering you with questions. My first one is: Did you have to do any modifications to your driveshaft for it to tolerate all the jacking up of the bike? How, other than trial and error, might I figure out what my driveshaft will tolerate?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #1116
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
The Presses. STOP THEM.

And read this!

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...0rr/20231.html

Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #1117
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by inire View Post
That page was packed with pop-up's that highjack your browser as you try to back out.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #1118
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
That page was packed with pop-up's that highjack your browser as you try to back out.
woah - the browser I was looking at it from (at coughWORKcough) dinna have any popup nasties. Sorry about that.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1119
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRoot View Post
questionably dual sport but awesome!
that's a TL1000 :O

unless the rider is over 7ft tall can't see that bike any useful!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #1120
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Quote:
Wow. That's something. I'm going to have to make due with out a machine shop or even the ability to use one, I guess. But, I hope you won't mind me badgering you with questions. My first one is: Did you have to do any modifications to your driveshaft for it to tolerate all the jacking up of the bike? How, other than trial and error, might I figure out what my driveshaft will tolerate?
I just surfed the CX forums for info found others had done same then went for it - I figured it could handle 2 inch lift, turns out it has no ill effects w/the longer shocks.
Part of the illusion of lift is that the new rear fender is mounted higher than the old steel one -

So I guess to answer your question - unless you find something in a "VT" forum somewhere else, I suppose you will be going at it with trial and error.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #1121
Paulutions
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
I just surfed the CX forums for info found others had done same then went for it - I figured it could handle 2 inch lift, turns out it has no ill effects w/the longer shocks.
Part of the illusion of lift is that the new rear fender is mounted higher than the old steel one -

So I guess to answer your question - unless you find something in a "VT" forum somewhere else, I suppose you will be going at it with trial and error.
Thanx. I've checked the shadow forums. There's a lot on bobbers, but none where anyone seems to want to increase ground clearance. I am also putting a trailer hitch on mine, as the nearest halfway decent grocery store is 40 miles away. I know that I won't get the 45 m.p.g. that I am currently getting out of the shadow, but the 15 m.p.g. that I am getting out of the jeep is kinda killing me. I have looked and looked & have not seen a Vt1100 dual sport. Of course, there's good reason for that. But, its what I've got to work with.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #1122
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Thanx. I've checked the shadow forums. There's a lot on bobbers, but none where anyone seems to want to increase ground clearance. I am also putting a trailer hitch on mine, as the nearest halfway decent grocery store is 40 miles away. I know that I won't get the 45 m.p.g. that I am currently getting out of the shadow, but the 15 m.p.g. that I am getting out of the jeep is kinda killing me. I have looked and looked & have not seen a Vt1100 dual sport. Of course, there's good reason for that. But, its what I've got to work with.

What kind'a trailer you planning on pulling? Have you seen these that an inmate makes? They are cool.

http://www.moto-mule.com/index.html
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #1123
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Quote:

Wow that is crazy - I too was planning on doing a trailer hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR
What kind'a trailer you planning on pulling? Have you seen these that an inmate makes? They are cool.
I got inspired by this one, going to make something similar to the one pictured below and the "Moto-Mule" - working on mine currently, picked up a Scooter wheel & shock of Craigs List last week for cheap now to bend up a frame.

The trailer thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470415
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #1124
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
That's a nice trailer setup, but I think I'd rather have the hitch connected to the axle. That guy sure carried a lot of fuel.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1125
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
I'm no trailer guy(not yet anyways!), but what advantage would having the hitch connected to the axle? I would think it would be better isolated from the shock and movement that occurs at the rear wheel, especially off road. wouldn't having it attached to the axle also affect the way the bikes suspension reacts over bumps by increasing unsprung weight?
maybe not, just asking!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote