Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
Phipsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Hey Cool!

Now I wish I hadn't sold that Vespa - it was so much fun! LOL
Aren't grocery hooks on scooters the bees knees? The grocery hook on my SYM Citycom is probably my single favourite feature. It is just so handy to be able to do my weekly grocery shop. It impresses the heck out of the Harley guys.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Was it riding from Colorado

through Utah with my husband - him on the Sports City 250 and me on a BV 500:

Where we left the scoots at my brother's house until school started in September when my son and I flew out, picked up the scoots and rode up the coast so San Luis Obispo. There I left him at the university and continued up the coast through Morro Bay.

Through Big Sur

Through Yosemite

Or will it be my next trip later this month from Houston to Washington D.C. up the Natchez Trace over to the Blue Ridge Parkway then back on a route not yet determined.

I have to agree with Jersey Biker that solo (or two person) trips with built in extra time for that road that looks interesting that lets you stop when and where you want are the most fun.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Phipsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Was it riding from Colorado

through Utah with my husband - him on the Sports City 250 and me on a BV 500:

Where we left the scoots at my brother's house until school started in September when my son and I flew out, picked up the scoots and rode up the coast so San Luis Obispo. There I left him at the university and continued up the coast through Morro Bay.

Through Big Sur

Through Yosemite

Or will it be my next trip later this month from Houston to Washington D.C. up the Natchez Trace over to the Blue Ridge Parkway then back on a route not yet determined.

I have to agree with Jersey Biker that solo (or two person) trips with built in extra time for that road that looks interesting that lets you stop when and where you want are the most fun.
I have done this ride many times the first time back in 86 when Clint was Mayor of Carmel. It wasn't just that Hwy 1 was great, it was with about 1/4 the traffic of now; 101 was also a senic twisty delight. In those days it was possible to ride right through Zion.

On my last trip to Colorado I managed to scare the 'bleep' out of myself on a ride up Mt Evans outside of Denver. It would be so cool to do it by scooter. Utah and Colorado are the two favourite places I have visited in the US.

Fanbloodytastic.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
There was a stretch of road named after former Senator Bob Packwood on Hwy 12 that I thought outdid even the fabled Hwy 20. Swooping through the mountain twisties it was immediately clear that this stretch of road basically in the middle of nowhere was the product of cubic money. Pork to be sure......but what fine pork!!!!!!
Packwood was an Oregon Senator. Nice gift for Washington if thats the case. Oregon got screwed - they've got I80 - ugh! They can keep that.

The only problem I found going through the Gorge is the wind. On the Electra Glide I've got plenty of power - I'm wondering how well the Majesty will do in a 50mph headwind. A tailwind would be just fine with me. I haven't been on highway 12 in a few years but I am planning a trip around the outter edges of the state - starting with the Gorge and going all the way to the coast on it. Then up highway 101 and around to Port Townsend -- take the ferry to Whidby Island and catch - yup - Highway 20 which starts on the Island all the way over the Cascades and then back home. All great scenery with a few boring parts such as around the Mt. Vernon area. I've done this ride a couple of times previously on my Ultra and really enjoyed it.

Of course I could just take a left at Astoria and ride to the Oregon/California border and turn east and find my way home from there. Been there done that more than a few times. Hmmm - then there is California Highway 1 with a combination of some of the best twisties and scenery found. I'd turn off before getting to Frisco though. Too much traffic for me.

Sometimes I start out meaning to take a certain route only to find myself following my nose and ending up going somewhere I didn't expect. Thats more fun - no planning - just go.
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Anytime out on the Big Ruckus is the most fun for me, although the 1058 mile run for Maple Syrup on the Big Ruckus was a blast....
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #36
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I am getting ready to ride up to Crescent City. I am looking forward to the trip up. The 2 day slog back down the 5 I'm dreading.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
I have done this ride many times the first time back in 86 when Clint was Mayor of Carmel. It wasn't just that Hwy 1 was great, it was with about 1/4 the traffic of now; 101 was also a senic twisty delight. In those days it was possible to ride right through Zion.

On my last trip to Colorado I managed to scare the 'bleep' out of myself on a ride up Mt Evans outside of Denver. It would be so cool to do it by scooter. Utah and Colorado are the two favourite places I have visited in the US.

Fanbloodytastic.
If you make it back to Colorado during the summer let me know and I'll ride up to the top of Mt. Evans with you. My husband and I rode up a couple years ago - he on our Sports City 250, me on the Burgman 400. I've since traded the Burgman in and have a BV 500 up there - the one you see in the earlier photos.

My ride up on a Sunday afternoon in mid September after schools were in session wasn't crowded at all as you can tell by the lack of traffic in the photos. I'm looking forward to my ride later this month from Houston to DC. I'm seeing reports here of wildflowers already starting to bloom so I'm hoping for more good photo ops.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
If you make it back to Colorado during the summer let me know and I'll ride up to the top of Mt. Evans with you. My husband and I rode up a couple years ago - he on our Sports City 250, me on the Burgman 400. I've since traded the Burgman in and have a BV 500 up there - the one you see in the earlier photos.

My ride up on a Sunday afternoon in mid September after schools were in session wasn't crowded at all as you can tell by the lack of traffic in the photos. I'm looking forward to my ride later this month from Houston to DC. I'm seeing reports here of wildflowers already starting to bloom so I'm hoping for more good photo ops.
I've tried to ride to the top of Mt Evans Twice, once in June, and once in September. Both times the road was closed at the lake. Riding to the top is still on my bucket list.

Good luck on your ride to DC.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #39
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
With two helix clones and a silverwing, every Sunday becomes a family cruise through the country..

My favorite ride each year is a local Mount up Ministry ride. We get a few laughs when we showing up on scoots, but every year the choppers drop off and have to be picked up by the chase truck while we keep cruising with the goldwings
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
I couldn't do that with my Citycom......too much power.
It was actually more difficult to ride the 2 stroke 50cc scoot of similar
weight with half the power because of no engine-braking.

I wouldn't attempt that kind of riding on my Downtown 300 now, not
because of power but because of weight

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #41
Phipsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Thats very kind and perhaps someday I will be lucky enough to make it back there. I'm still doing just fine but several years ago my job situation changed and I'm no longer able to do the long distance rides in the US that I used to do. Paying off debts to get ready for retirement is now far more important.

Still never say never. In my years of travel in the West I got to see nearly everything except the Grand Canyon that I had ever dreamed of seeing and I will do it again.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #42
Phipsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
It was actually more difficult to ride the 2 stroke 50cc scoot of similar
weight with half the power because of no engine-braking.

I wouldn't attempt that kind of riding on my Downtown 300 now, not
because of power but because of weight
Back in the day I did that kind of riding on my 450 Honda and it was fun but I was much younger (imortal) with much sharper reflexes and despite all my sliding around I never fell down. I wouldn't dream of it now unless I was on a D/P bike like a KLR with knobbies.