Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
Don't sell yourself short on the miles you can do in a day. As you get into the rhythm of travel you'll find your body will accept more time in the saddle. Of course you are making it tough by the choice of mounts , but, it is what it is.
As far as 16 hour rides , well what else is there to do ? Between sight seeing , eating and bike maintainence , riding and resting are all that's left.
You might want to leave the cotton at home. I wear a merino wool longsleeve T most of my traveling time . It wicks moisture away , is warm when you need warmth and surprizingly cool when it's warm
I'd lean toward being prepared for cooler temps. Even in June when you gain altitude the temps can be uncomfortably low.Also when you reach the cool air of the Pacific Ocean. The best temperture adjustment device I have is my Gerbring jacket liner. You get more warmth from far less bulk with an electric liner than anything else.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Don't sell yourself short on the miles you can do in a day. As you get into the rhythm of travel you'll find your body will accept more time in the saddle. Of course you are making it tough by the choice of mounts , but, it is what it is.
As far as 16 hour rides , well what else is there to do ? Between sight seeing , eating and bike maintainence , riding and resting are all that's left.
My 2 cents. I agree about the choice of mount. About 6 years ago I bought a VF1000R in Atlanta. I flew down to ride it home to NY. That bike ruined my back for a good half year and I am in decent shape and then in my early 40s. I could only ride about 250 miles a day. A few years later I bought a FJR1300 in Orlando. I rode550 and 900 mile days on that very comfortably. Your bike would kill me.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Sckill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I used to have a 919 that would have made for an easier ride, but I lost that one in a collision 2 years ago. The cbr is the only bike I have now so I'll deal with it. Wouldn't trust a rental or a newly bought bike for this trip. Also wouldn't want to have any other bike when I get to places like deals gap and Mulholland drive.

Besides, going cross country via bike by itself is already awesome. But i'm not going to deny that doing it on sportbike just makes it badass.