Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Picture this .... Cingoli, Italy, May 2011.

A hazy Sunday morning trying to get through the little hillside town to the Italian Sidecar Motocross GP circuit. Came to an extremely tight, ridiculously steep, blind, right hand, uphill hairpin. Get round in 1st only to find a little Fiat 500 that couldn't make it up the hill rolling back down towards me.

To this day I'm still not sure what happened but it included a lot of revs, a lot of clutch and a mighty swerve. Seemed to happen very slow and in a much more controlled manner than was happening in my head.

Instinctively stood up after rounding the Fiat and looked over my shoulder to see the car come to a halt across the bend and the locals at the cafe on the other side of the road applauding and laughing. Felt good.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Done the Cattle thing… And the Yellow light, deer, roundabout, loose bars, broken frame, lane encroachments, target fixation, parking lot antics, wet grass, u-turner (hwy 2 going up Stevens pass… I took the front and made slight contact. Road away instead of facing the murder charges had I stopped)

Haven’t yet experienced the log truck pass, shoulder pull, SS leg burn, getting pissed at coal truck driver (if you get pissed off when you ride YOU are doing it wrong) final drive lock-up, unoccupied rolling cage,
But I’m still young. (sort of)

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Done the Cattle thing… And the Yellow light, deer, roundabout, loose bars, broken frame, lane encroachments, target fixation, parking lot antics, wet grass, u-turner (hwy 2 going up Stevens pass… I took the front and made slight contact. Road away instead of facing the murder charges had I stopped)

Haven’t yet experienced the log truck pass, shoulder pull, SS leg burn, getting pissed at coal truck driver (if you get pissed off when you ride YOU are doing it wrong) final drive lock-up, unoccupied rolling cage,
But I’m still young. (sort of)

I'd say that getting pissed at a truck trying to kill me and then getting stuck behind his slow ass for miles isn't as bad as running from murder charges...

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I'd say that getting pissed at a truck trying to kill me and then getting stuck behind his slow ass for miles isn't as bad as running from murder charges...

Trying to make the point of riding away happy is a better option than raging and reacting or riding while "red with anger" which is what you stated you did. It should be avoided because it changes your focus and gives the next asshole a better chance of taking you out.

Truck trying to kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I was then stuck behind this asshole that just had to move quickly into the left lane for several miles as he meandered past the right lane traffic. I was red with anger.
"Red"

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 08:54 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Not too many lately, last one was a car coming from a side street, missed him by inches. Counter steer, instead of brake, saved the day. Tractor coming towards me, turned right in front of me, bit of luck there, bloke driving the tractor did the right thing by stepping on the gas, not brake, that would have been a bad one, i was 'moving' along. Funniest one must be a wild pig i nearly collected years ago. I was on my third or fourth try up this steep, rocky hill, blasting it up on a 500xc, as i got to the top, the front wheel well up, pig darted from the bushes, i think the wheel was over him for a moment, had a good laugh about that one later. I might have mentioned that caper in another thread, cant remember them all
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
Mullet Bullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
about two weeks ago i was behind a suburban on the highway when i saw something fall out from underneath the truck. it bounced off the ground i jumped into the next lane as it passed me at about chest height.

then a few days ago and lady in her 60's in a chrysler 300 pulled out in front of me, i was running along at about 40mph and locked the rear sliding the bike on full lock sideways coming to a stop in front of her car. i wanted to tap dance on her hood after that.

Check Out my Day Trips http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753176
Mullet Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Trying to make the point of riding away happy is a better option than raging and reacting or riding while "red with anger" which is what you stated you did. It should be avoided because it changes your focus and gives the next asshole a better chance of taking you out.

Truck trying to kill you.

"Red"
Oh, I get what you meant by avoiding murder charges... I must be a bit slow this morning.

I get pissed when people try to kill me... Nothing that internet dialogue is going to change. I don't do anything more than steam in my helmet, honk, and/or give them the finger... I then quickly forget about it once I'm passed the vehicle(s) in question.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,357
Probably the closest in recent years, without actually wrecking, was the classic person on the right side of the road decides to do a u-turn in front of you without warning. I'm usually pretty good at looking for people in cars parked on the side of the road. With this one, I saw no indication of what was going to happen. Wheels weren't cocked, didn't see the reverse lights as they put it in drive, no exhaust coming out, just nothing. They darted out and whipped it across four lanes in an instant, and ABS was engaged as I came within a few feet of the side of the suv-hybrid thing. I still don't think they ever knew I was there even while driving around me. Or cared.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
When the car turned in front of me from the side street, after 'clearing' him, i stopped on the side of the road and thought of going after him, and give the driver piece of my mind, but after thinking it over, i decided it wouldnt make much difference, so i just kept riding. Maybe he'll have a better look next time.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
My closest call was actually three in one incident back in the early 80's. I was riding at maybe 55mph on an urban four lane when a semi truck came hauling ass out of a parking lot right in front of me and slammed on the brakes. He blocked both of my lanes, the middle lane and any bail out into the lot.

I had a moment to do some hard braking but there was no way I was going to slow down enough to not get hurt on knobbies. Without thinking I just pitched it into a turn toward the curb. There was no thought involved. My old XT cleared the curb without drama but that left me looking at the front of a store.

I probably wasn't going but maybe 35 or so at that point. But it was a narrow bit of asphalt and loose rock. I braked as hard as I could and just touched the glass front doors with a little bump. After all that, what really freaked me out was looking back at my tracks. I had gone between a power pole and guy wire.

Sometimes it truly is better to be lucky than good.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
One of my more memorable ones occurred on my bicycle. I was on the through road coming up to a T intersection. A VW golf comes cruising up the the T road on my right, glances over at me and figures he has time to blow through the stop sign to make a left in front of me.
But he doesn't notice the fully loaded dump truck approaching from the other direction. I'm expecting to see him become a hood ornament, but he spots the truck about halfway through the right lane and stops in front of me.
He throws it in reverse and backs up to where he should have been all along.
With some trepidation, I continue past him, happy that I wasn't coming along 10 seconds sooner, or going a few mph faster.

At least when you're on a moto, cars take you slightly more seriously than they do bicycles. On the push-bike close calls are just part of the ride, just about every time you ride.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Probably the closest in recent years, without actually wrecking, was the classic person on the right side of the road decides to do a u-turn in front of you without warning.
I can tell you that most people driving are complete idiots. These people can't even see a semi truck let alone a motorcycle. I was rolling down highway 30 in Indiana on my way home. It was dark out. There was a car in front of me as I made my right turn. The road is about 4 lanes wide, but hasn't been painted in awhile so the white lines are pretty much gone. The car in front of me took the right lane, I took the left. Suddenly she hooks a hard left right in front of me. I stood on the brakes and saw her face lit by my headlights. Somehow I stopped and she squeaked by with a few feet to spare.
It would have sucked to tbone some dumbass 200 yards from home.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 04:22 AM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,158
Daylight on a 4 lane main street. I was turning left into a side street. Saw the car waiting to turn left across my path, on to the street i was on. Figured they saw me, but planned on them not. (since traffic was a little busy and it was hard to get out of that street). Sure enough, I am half way thru my turn and catch them accelerating out onto the main street, aimed for my rear tire!

Thank god for young reactions (hers not mine). I saw the look on her face and figured i couldnt add anything to the lesson, so i just kept on going.

I did check my pants tho, after i got out of sight

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Tiger vs Phesant

My closest wreck without wrecking happened a couple of Saturday's ago on my way home from Reno on Hwy395. A low flying Phesant decided to cross right in my path, as i was doing 70MPH, all I had time to say was oh S--- and the Phesant took of my Windshield off. I backed off the throttle and pulled to the side odf the road and started taking inventory as I was sure I was dead. But ot my supprise all the damage was to the front of my Tiger 800XC (about $1100.00 worth) but I was unscathed. For Some strange reason i wasn't even shaking. There was a car right behind me, but they didn't even slow down, I sure would have liked to find out what they saw.