Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
I can feel my shin bones snapping just looking at that setup
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #197
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
+2

I had happy trails panniers and nearly broke my leg while offroading. Never again.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #198
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
That's exactly what I was thinking. I had a close shave with the pannier when I dabbed a foot on a gravel road and got smacked hard by it. Luckily no serious injury.

I like the adv tank setup. Sure you can spend $5 and strap a 1 gallon jerry can on the seat but for those who want the convenience of a semi permanent extended range not just on long trips, this is a simple and relatively inexpensive option. Looking forward to GB's feedback on this setup.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #199
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Speaking from experience I own or should I say used to own a set of Peg packers and I have done 2 x big trips with them and I can say they are shit. I swore to myself I would not use them on my last trip but the date came and I had not come up with any other option. Sure enough i nearly tore the back of my calf muscle as my leg got dragged under the damn thing. In the bin they went when i got home.
I have just ordered the Adventure tank and I think it will do the trick nicely.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #200
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
I know a guy in the local BMW club who has a Nomad tank fitted on the rear rack of his 1200GS, he uses this system, it works, no problem.

Edit - I'm going to use this idea with my Touratech tank.

Yup, I saw that bike at the last border run, or was it the one before? can`t remember. I was chattng with him as I have a Nomad tank hooked up through the return fuel line on my 1100GS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #201
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Well, the ADV tank arrived today.. it was very well packed, and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. They are also posted on their site:

Well packed box:

The tank and the covering plate:

Simple mounting hardware and instructions:

I'll post pics of the bike with the tank and tank use feedback once I've done some riding. Riding season for me starts next week.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #202
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
I have been toying with a small extra tank build myself for a few years...... and was thinking in the same lines as this tank.....utilizing the stock tank inflow/vent line as feeder as well... But what has kept me from this is what happens when the aux tank fills the stock to the max....with no air trapped in the stock....and hot ambient temps.....makes the stock fuel expand....say when your parked.... Does the fuel then flow back up into the aux tank....since it is now in between the stock...and expansion line.....????? If yes... I hope the install sheet for the adventure tank tell you to remove the little " one way check valve" ( not really a check valve)....because the moment fuel enters it.... it will NOT allow ANY matter against the arrow. I just thought I would throw this out there.... and perhaps I should not speak of the adv tank..... since I don't know how it is hooked up.... I am just curious.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #203
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I have been toying with a small extra tank build myself for a few years...... and was thinking in the same lines as this tank.....utilizing the stock tank inflow/vent line as feeder as well... But what has kept me from this is what happens when the aux tank fills the stock to the max....with no air trapped in the stock....and hot ambient temps.....makes the stock fuel expand....say when your parked.... Does the fuel then flow back up into the aux tank....since it is now in between the stock...and expansion line.....????? If yes... I hope the install sheet for the adventure tank tell you to remove the little " one way check valve" ( not really a check valve)....because the moment fuel enters it.... it will NOT allow ANY matter against the arrow. I just thought I would throw this out there.... and perhaps I should not speak of the adv tank..... since I don't know how it is hooked up.... I am just curious.....

Erling
I have a XChallenge as well as the 800GS and it has the Dutch X Tank which uses the same vacuum system and it works perfectly. It has a vent on the second filler on the auxiliary tank, so I assume that sometimes a bit of fuel goes the other way. I don't think this is a problem as it will flow back ito the main tank again. I don't think it has a one way valve in the line.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #204
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I have a XChallenge as well as the 800GS and it has the Dutch X Tank which uses the same vacuum system and it works perfectly. It has a vent on the second filler on the auxiliary tank, so I assume that sometimes a bit of fuel goes the other way. I don't think this is a problem as it will flow back ito the main tank again. I don't think it has a one way valve in the line.
I see...... I just got nervous as when I did the checking on that little valve... I found that it blocks anything against the arrow when liquids entered it...... Thanks.....

Erling
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #205
GB
Mod Squad

I installed the ADV tank over the weekend. It took me about half an hour tops.

It fits nicely and the aluminum rack will come in handy to mount my Motofizz bag.

The supplied (and online) instructions are excellent.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the venting hose that attaches to the filler cap. I had something identical on my KLR's plastic IMS tank, in the end I ended up removing it and mounting this vent doodad in the pic below.
Do youse see any reason I should keep a venting hose on the filler cap, that basically goes back under the seat and ties into the bike's venting hose that I disconnected from the tank. (My bike does not have the evap. canister).

My riding season begins this week. I will fill the ADV tank at the gas pump and snap a pic of its capacity. And then let the riding begin. I'll update this thread with my mileage range. I'm taking my GS to Colorado this summer for some touring and D-S exploration, so that's where the extra fuel will come in handy.

p.s. will post pics of the tank on the bike once the bike is back in the garage.

GB screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 11:11 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #206
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
That looks pretty nice GB, do you have any photos of the bottom of the tank prior to install?

Thanks!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #207
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I installed the ADV tank over the weekend. It took me about half an hour tops.

It fits nicely and the aluminum rack will come in handy to mount my Motofizz bag.

The supplied (and online) instructions are excellent.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the venting hose that attaches to the filler cap. I had something identical on my KLR's plastic IMS tank, in the end I ended up removing it and mounting this vent doodad in the pic below.
Do youse see any reason I should keep a venting hose on the filler cap, that basically goes back under the seat and ties into the bike's venting hose that I disconnected from the tank. (My bike does not have the evap. canister).

My riding season begins this week. I will fill the ADV tank at the gas pump and snap a pic of its capacity. And then let the riding begin. I'll update this thread with my mileage range. I'm taking my GS to Colorado this summer for some touring and D-S exploration, so that's where the extra fuel will come in handy.

p.s. will post pics of the tank on the bike once the bike is back in the garage.
No need to keep the old vent.with you CC removed as long as the new vent through the adventure tank is in place....then expansion/consumption issues are addressed....

Erling

Edit..... The little plug you installed in the adv tank's cap does allow for in and out flow...right...??
Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #208
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
That looks pretty nice GB, do you have any photos of the bottom of the tank prior to install?

Thanks!
No pic of the bottom, but it's basically the same shape as the pic in post #201, but it's flat, no hump near the back. There are 2 holes thru the tank for the rear mounts.

The bike is currently parked about a foot out from a wall behind the it, I tried to take a pic of the back of the bike, but it didn't turn out. Will do so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post

Edit..... The little plug you installed in the adv tank's cap does allow for in and out flow...right...??
Yes, I put it in my mouth and was able to breathe in and out. I had it on my KLR, hence the red top. I will go thru my first tank of gas with it on and report back.

For steady cruising, I expect a range of 500 to 550 km. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #209
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The adv tank is shipping now..

http://adventure-tank.myshopify.com/...auxillary-tank

1.6 gallons / 6 liters, giving a total range of about 300 miles / 500 km. Price is reasonable.

Easy to install, no holes to drill and fully reversible... You can still mount your side cases and use a big dry bag on top... I like it..

Who's getting one?
Will that work with the F650GS or G650GS?
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #210
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Will that work with the F650GS or G650GS?
I don't see why not.

This one is designed to mount into the 4 holes for the luggage rack / top case mounts of the 800GS/650GS.

On the 650GS thumper, if you have a mounting plate for a luggage rack, you could easily adapt it to fit it. You just mount the Adv tank on it, and run the hose to the vent line of the stock tank.