Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
adoptamutt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
I agree with the post above. The HD200 is hard to beat. We had one for awhile and I wish I still had it. The thing would carry my 230lbs at an indicated 70 mph on the flats. Very zippy off the line and just fun to ride. Amazing for 171cc's.

The SYM HD200s are pretty hard to find around here, it seems. But I've heard alot of good things about it.

I'm not sure what I want, but I think it breaks down into two possible scenarios: Get ONE "do-it-all" scooter in the 200 to 300 cc range. This could be the SYM HD200, one of the Italian 250's, or a Kymco 250.

OR, get a big scooter like a TMax for the longer rides, and a smaller, cheaper scoot for around town.

I'm sort of leaning towards the one do-it-all, all-arounder, scoot. With just 1 bike, it's cheaper insurance, registration, maintenance, etc. Of course, that was my thinking when I bought the Majesty (the seller of the Majesty sold it so he could buy a TMax, duh!).

So I'm thinking maybe I'll look for a SYM HD200 now. Who knows, it might be enough. If it's not, I could just keep it as my "small scooter" and look to get a larger one and keep both .

I sold my W650 last weekend so I've got the cash burning a hole in my pocket ...
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
adoptamutt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I had an HD 200 and it is a smooth scoot. For the money, that scoot is tough to beat. I rode it on the interstate for hours and felt comfortable and safe. I also rode it a bit off road and it was a blast! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579197

Your comment about scoot size is key. It depends on what the OP wants/needs. I had a B'Man 650 and agree it is very smooth but I found it too big/heavy for the type of riding I was doing so I went smaller.

I'd really love to see a 400 cc 2 cylinder but guess I need to try the Tmax. For those who have owned one, is the seating position like the Reflex and Silverwing type bikes, i.e. upright or do you have to lean forward more like a sport bike?

I have not ridden a S'wing, but only sat on one. I thought it was cramped (I'm 5'-11"). The TMax was roomier. It could have alot to do with the S'wing's thick backrest. I also felt that the Tmax was more comfortable than the Majesty I owned. The only other Maxi-scoot I've demo'ed was a Kymco Xciting 500, and it was gutless (the carb'ed version, I did not demo the newer fuel injected version).
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
When did the Silverwing go to a frame mount vice a swingarm mount?
Silverwing has always been frame mounted.

Silverwing

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Burgman 650

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #35
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Burgman 400

Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Tmax

Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #37
Globs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptamutt View Post
Engine vibration is a pet peeve of mine ... . It's why I sold my Roadstar years ago, and just sold my W650 (note: the Roadstar wasn't that bad until I rejetted the carb and added Roadhouse pipes. The previous owner of the W650 had the cards rejetted too, and the stiffer Corbin seat on the W650 seem to amplify the vibes on my ass ).

The buzzing in the seat, the buzzing in the pegs, the buzzing in the grips ..
Try any SYM 300 engine like in the Citycom 300i evo, I have the GTS300/RV300 and the engine is totally smooth, at almost any speed you'd swear it was electric. You only know it's a regular engine at idle!
Globs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Corgi's and Vespas go paw in hand
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thumb Time to Test Ride 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptamutt View Post
So I'm thinking maybe I'll look for a SYM HD200 now. Who knows, it might be enough. If it's not, I could just keep it as my "small scooter" and look to get a larger one and keep both .

I sold my W650 last weekend so I've got the cash burning a hole in my pocket ...
Take a look at the two Kymco 300's if you have the cash for new or get lucky enough to fine one used.
They're a decent compromise, a bit bent towards city than highway but have enough more on the ball than the HD200 that you'd be more comfortable if you have to jump on I5 or something for a bit. (I have with the 200 but overall think it's a bit light for U.S. Freeway traffic)

If you're in the market for used or heavily discounted new old stock (NOS) then consider the SYM RV250/300 etc. for a look. In the NOS market they were ahead of Kymco & overall nicer machines; although I think that Kymco has caught up at this point in the new market. Not a lot of miles on Kymco, so take it with a grain of salt, & take some test rides or even rent one if you can. (There are a couple places you can do that 'round here, but I doubt it'd be worth the trip for ya
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #40
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
The engine mounting, or lack of engine mounting, can be a big factor in determining how much engine vibration gets through to the rider. The balanced twins with frame-mounted engine solve the problem of excessive vibration in the normal 21st Century methods.

Among the swing-engine singles, its often the shortage of frame-to-engine couplings that preclude comfortable vibration levels.

Some few (very few) of the swing-engine manufacturers have addressed this issue through employing further linkages to tame this kind of vibration. One of these is the Honda SH300i which uses a three-piece articulating floating link system that joins engine and frame more fully than solely with the swinging-fork (swingarm) axis mating engine (+ rear wheel & suspension) to frame.

Quote:
Exceptional comfort and control were also priorities in this new scooter’s design, and impressive design innovations in the form of a unique floating link unit swingarm make possible one of the smoothest, quietest, and most comfortable rides to be found in any class of scooter, yet remarkably coupled with the swift, responsive high-speed handling that can make longer commutes a more pleasant experience, and only thought possible on a true motorcycle till now.
A longer explanation here, about 60% down page under the headings: Floating Link Unit Swingarm and Floating Link System Composition.

vortexau screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 07:56 PM Reason: adding source for information
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #41
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
It's becomingly clear, to me, that the best bred scooter people have Corgis. Thing is, one HAS to have a Vespa in order to match the pedigree.

'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 08:47 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
It's becomingly clear, to me, that the best bred scooter people have Corgis. Thing is, one HAS to have a Vespa in order to match the pedigree.

Have you ridden a 250? If so, how do you compare the 250 vs the 300?

IMO, Red is the best color on a Vespa!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Vibration bothers you that much? I never really minded no vibration at all, I thought at idle on a cruiser it kinda is cool, that big rumbling motorcycle!

If its like ridculous then its not good but a little don't bother me no V-Twin Motorcycle I ain't never rode or had bothers me, nor any bike or scooter.

BUT if it bothers you that much then you's gotta find you a smooth scooter why riding something thats a botherin you?

So I ain't read all the posts here but some.

I reckon the big 600/650s is pretty smooth. Why not try them?

I find them single cylinder scooters is the most vibration. ALSO smaller cc may victrate more on the interstate. They's turning at extremely high RPMS.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #44
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Silverwing has always been frame mounted.

Silverwing
Hey that's my Silverwing and my garage LOL . That power train is now in a Big Ruckus in Canada .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFgGJ9juMM
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #45
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Hands down the Tmax
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote