Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #46
adoptamutt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Vibration bothers you that much? I never really minded no vibration at all, I thought at idle on a cruiser it kinda is cool, that big rumbling motorcycle!

If its like ridculous then its not good but a little don't bother me no V-Twin Motorcycle I ain't never rode or had bothers me, nor any bike or scooter.

BUT if it bothers you that much then you's gotta find you a smooth scooter why riding something thats a botherin you?

So I ain't read all the posts here but some.

I reckon the big 600/650s is pretty smooth. Why not try them?

I find them single cylinder scooters is the most vibration. ALSO smaller cc may victrate more on the interstate. They's turning at extremely high RPMS.

I don't mind some thumping or some engine"character". After all, I had a 2000 Roadstar with 1602cc of thumping V-Twin ! But when it gets so bad that it feels like your hands and feet have been stung by hundreds of tiny bees, or that your buttocks have become itchy thanks to the high frequency buzziness, then yeah, I'm not enjoying the ride. I then just wish the ride was over so I can climb off of this washing machine on the spin cycle.
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #47
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Have you ridden a 250? If so, how do you compare the 250 vs the 300?

IMO, Red is the best color on a Vespa!
I have ridden several 250s. The difference between them and the 300 is mostly insignificant. Horsepower is nearly the same. Torque curve is flatter on the 300 (278cc), so they say, but I can't tell much difference.

I had to buy a Vespa as I'd been jonesing for one for years and I had to get it out of my system. What I find now, having owned it for 9 months or so, is how useful and practical it is. The quietness, smoothness, easy on-off, and twist 'n go trans is really rather addictive. I'll always have a scooter now.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #48
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
I had to buy a Vespa as I'd been jonesing for one for years and I had to get it out of my system. What I find now, having owned it for 9 months or so, is how useful and practical it is. The quietness, smoothness, easy on-off, and twist 'n go trans is really rather addictive. I'll always have a scooter now.
LOL - oh yeah! That are VERY addictive! LOL

Enjoy! Ride safe.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #49
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I took a test ride on a used 2008 650 Burgman Exe today. It has 4K on the clock. Nice bike - much more room than my Majesty - by far - but no better in windy conditions than the Majesty. I thought the Majesty was fairly smooth - smoother than the H-D Ultra I'm selling that I've had the past 7 years. The Burgman 650's engine is almost electric. Very little to feel even at idle. I can't imagine any single being that smooth. Riding it was a blast - that thing moves! I'm quite sure it'll leave my H-D in the dust. Cornering is done with ease - very secure - the Majesty seems twitchy in comparison. Too bad the dealer is stuck at $5500 OTD. I've offered them $4500 OTD. We'll see what happens.
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #50
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Unfortunately some of the best technical information on the Suzuki Skywave/Burgman 650 is in Japanese:

Description in the middle (here) is about the engine counterbalancers.

Technically Jurisprudence: The Suzuki skywave 650

a collection of Burgman brochures
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #51
Daddy Rabbit
daddy rabbit

Oddometer: 8
smooth scooter

The Suzuki Burgman 650 is very smooth. I have a 2003 that I bought for my wife, but it's a little too tall for her.It's silver with a matching Givi trunk and it's for sale.
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #52
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
I may mention that the all-up mass of the Burgman 650 can sometimes be challenging?! I'm only short, and if my Burger is leaning far over on its sidestand (with street to kerb slope) I can have to resort to sort of jumping to the right to nudge the maxi upright -- arresting the movement with my right foot.

Additionally, I have a grassed verge that slightly slopes up to the rollerdoor of my car shed. When the grass is wet and I'm standing to the left pushing the Burgman backwards into the shed --- any interruption in the motion requires me to roll back to starting position, and start again.

I have two hardwood "hard-spots" for parking on the grass --- a centrestand-size one for departure, and a sidestand-size one for arrival home. A lonely third chunk of wood is used when parking out front of shed with trailer attached.

When towing trailer I carry a portable chunk of wood (in side dash space) to lift sidestand when parking with an unfavorable slope. A cord attached to this allows retrieval when weight is removal from sidestand.

At some locations I employ a movable wooden slab (fitted under rear wheel) to assist lifting Burgman onto centrestand.

The lesson here is . . . . if you are looking into a possible purchase of a Burgman 650 you should make certain that you're able to handle its weight, or plan ways to (like me) compensate for these issues.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #53
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

I owned a 1962 650 Triumph back in the day (late 60s) that had a bad habit of rattling the bolt loose that held the kick stand on. After losing a few I bagged the idea of being perpetually broke buying all available supply of Triumph kick stands and started leaning it up against anything handy. The fixed pegs made that easy - I just parked next to the curb and leaned it until it rested on the curb. Telephone poles and trees were put into duty as needed. Occasionally there was nothing handy to lean it up against so I'd just ease it over and let it sit on the foot peg while I went about my business.

It was by far the worst vibrating motorcycle I've ever owned. Nothing I've owned prior or after even comes close. After 50-75 miles of riding my hands would be so numb that there was real danger of not being able to hang on hard enough to operate the brake or clutch. It did have a foot operated clutch - sort of. It was Triumphs way to enable quick shifting without using the hand clutch lever. Shifting the foot lever (right foot!) activated a cam that disengaged the clutch. Never seen any other make with that feature. And with some practice it could be used to effect a somewhat jerky takeoff if the clutch cable broke - something that happened with that evil machine with regularity approaching that of a BM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #54
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Pissed

[QUOTE=knucklehead90;18154532 Too bad the dealer is stuck at $5500 OTD. ...[/QUOTE]

Gee that sounds totally unreasonable, gosh umm where is this evil dealer? I really want to go down there & give him a credit card..er I mean a good talking to about his completely unreasonable prices on that bike.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Gee that sounds totally unreasonable, gosh umm where is this evil dealer? I really want to go down there & give him a credit card..er I mean a good talking to about his completely unreasonable prices on that bike.
It must be nice to live in an area with such a hot scooter resale market.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #56
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
It must be nice to live in an area with such a hot scooter resale market.
Can get the regular ones all day long cheaper, the execs seem a bit thin on the ground. nearest one I know of is a long run over a snow covered pass away. I already have a regular one..
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #57
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
I took a test ride on a used 2008 650 Burgman Exe today. It has 4K on the clock. Nice bike - much more room than my Majesty - by far - but no better in windy conditions than the Majesty. I thought the Majesty was fairly smooth - smoother than the H-D Ultra I'm selling that I've had the past 7 years. The Burgman 650's engine is almost electric. Very little to feel even at idle. I can't imagine any single being that smooth. Riding it was a blast - that thing moves! I'm quite sure it'll leave my H-D in the dust. Cornering is done with ease - very secure - the Majesty seems twitchy in comparison. Too bad the dealer is stuck at $5500 OTD. I've offered them $4500 OTD. We'll see what happens.
You've offered them 20% less than their asking price, which MAY have a 10% profit in it....but probably not even that.

Everyone makes their living "off" of selling, charging, being-paid-for more than the cost to provide.

If you REALLY wanted that scooter, you'd offer a reasonable price for it and recognize that there is someone out there you may cross paths with who doesn't think your skill/product/knowledge is worth less than you do.

Just saying.....
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
You've offered them 20% less than their asking price, which MAY have a 10% profit in it....but probably not even that.

Everyone makes their living "off" of selling, charging, being-paid-for more than the cost to provide.

If you REALLY wanted that scooter, you'd offer a reasonable price for it and recognize that there is someone out there you may cross paths with who doesn't think your skill/product/knowledge is worth less than you do.

Just saying.....
That bike is a consignment. Gives you an idea of how tough the scooter market is around here when a private party puts it on a dealer's lot.

As I mentioned in a previous post - the scooter market where I live is weak. And I don't care about it being the exec model - I know how to use brakes - and the other stuff that comes on it doesn't interest me over what the standard model carries. I'm sure the price is more than fair in many markets - just not where I live. In my area dirt bikes and quads are the big seller - I'm sure there isn't much market for dirt bikes and quads in San Fran or NY but but I don't live in those places. For the asking price for that bike it'll be there for a while. Just not enough interest in scooters around here. I have to think about that same weak market if/when I turn around and decide to sell it. And I can get an 07 model 650 with 10K on it for $3400 - I just don't care for the color - white. It would appear it isn't going anywhere fast either. It's been advertised for the past 4 months at that price.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #59
adoptamutt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
I owned a 1962 650 Triumph back in the day (late 60s) that had a bad habit of rattling the bolt loose that held the kick stand on. After losing a few I bagged the idea of being perpetually broke buying all available supply of Triumph kick stands and started leaning it up against anything handy. The fixed pegs made that easy - I just parked next to the curb and leaned it until it rested on the curb. Telephone poles and trees were put into duty as needed. Occasionally there was nothing handy to lean it up against so I'd just ease it over and let it sit on the foot peg while I went about my business.

It was by far the worst vibrating motorcycle I've ever owned. Nothing I've owned prior or after even comes close. After 50-75 miles of riding my hands would be so numb that there was real danger of not being able to hang on hard enough to operate the brake or clutch. It did have a foot operated clutch - sort of. It was Triumphs way to enable quick shifting without using the hand clutch lever. Shifting the foot lever (right foot!) activated a cam that disengaged the clutch. Never seen any other make with that feature. And with some practice it could be used to effect a somewhat jerky takeoff if the clutch cable broke - something that happened with that evil machine with regularity approaching that of a BM.

I remember back in 1980, riding my friend's then new shovelhead AMF Harley Low Rider. That thing shook like 8.0 on the Richter Scale ! So even 30+ years ago, I knew I hated motors that shook your fillings loose.

Then about 10 years ago, the same friend wanted to sell me his 1992, "Paint-Shaker" Sportster 1200 Custom.

I bought the relatively smoother Roadstar instead. It was OK, until I screwed around with it by added the Roadhouse pipes, rejetting the carb, and installing a MaxxAir kit. The vibes grew from being OK to quite bothersome. Damn, I almost bought a Valkyrie back then but it had alot more miles than the Roadstar .... I guess when you have a smooth, boxer 6, you're going to ride it alot more ! (The Valk had 40K miles while the Roadstar only had 1800 miles on it).

So now with advancing age, a smooth, easy to handle scooter is just the ticket ...
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #60
adoptamutt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
That bike is a consignment. Gives you an idea of how tough the scooter market is around here when a private party puts it on a dealer's lot.

As I mentioned in a previous post - the scooter market where I live is weak. And I don't care about it being the exec model - I know how to use brakes - and the other stuff that comes on it doesn't interest me over what the standard model carries. I'm sure the price is more than fair in many markets - just not where I live. In my area dirt bikes and quads are the big seller - I'm sure there isn't much market for dirt bikes and quads in San Fran or NY but but I don't live in those places. For the asking price for that bike it'll be there for a while. Just not enough interest in scooters around here. I have to think about that same weak market if/when I turn around and decide to sell it. And I can get an 07 model 650 with 10K on it for $3400 - I just don't care for the color - white. It would appear it isn't going anywhere fast either. It's been advertised for the past 4 months at that price.

Wow, a Big Burger for $3400 ? Where is this scoot ? I may just give up my search for a T-Max. And it even has enough miles to be legally registered in California too.