Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #2566
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Thanks Richard,

Glad to hear your getting it sorted and it is running better. I'm sorting the carbs, ignition, and other stuff currently in prep for the riding season.
I highly recommend checking your diaphragms.
Also, another tip, take the air box off, fire up the bike, and watch the carbs, make sure they are both responding (one of mine was not)

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #2567
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
I highly recommend checking your diaphragms.
Also, another tip, take the air box off, fire up the bike, and watch the carbs, make sure they are both responding (one of mine was not)
Thanks, I did check the diaphragms and they look and feel like they are only a few years old. The fuel inlet seals on each carb were cracked and leaking though, so new ones will go in this week along with new needle seats, choke plungers, and pilot screws. The carbs also got an ultrasonic bath this past week for good measure and I’m going to tweak the main and pilot jets just a bit as well. The emulsion tubes and needles are new Factory Pro ones from the PO and look spot on.

Thanks, I did do the run up with the back of the carbs open and they both respond equally, but there is some back firing below the left throttle plate for the first few moments of running while still cold. The choke plungers are worn, right side more so, creating a leaner condition for the left side for the equal choke position... or at least that's what I'm thinking. Hopefully the new choke plungers will sort that along with a sync... which wasn't off by much for choke off, but was out far enough in the opposite direction with choke on to indicate the enriching difference.

I found some corrosion on the primary side coil connections too and gave them a cleaning and dollop of dielectric grease to insulate them from the elements and possible arcing. A new set of iridium plugs will go in along with some other upgrades and fixes this week... parts start showing up Tuesday.
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #2568
sgtunix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Unfortunately the day has come.. I've sold my TDM 850. I really enjoyed owning it, as it's a friggin' awesome bike to ride. I've moved further towards the dual purpose/enduro side of things and bought myself a 2010 BMW F800GS.

Here are the last pics I took of my TDM before selling it (in fact, these were the photos I used in the online ad):

(You may also remember that I had custom made crash bars but I sold those separate in case the buyer didn't want them).

Keep well TDM peeps! I'll be checking in on this thread once in a while, but it looks like I'm going to be focused on BMW for a while - at least for my dual purpose needs.
sgtunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #2569
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Somebody should be very happy with that bike. Nice. What are the hand guards off?
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #2570
sgtunix
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Somebody should be very happy with that bike. Nice. What are the hand guards off?
Those are aluminum! Very good handguards.. they've been battle tested several times. Not sure of the actual brand, they are the chinese "works everywhere" type. They had to be bent a little bit to work on my TDM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #2571
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Nice looking TDM, sgtunix. Looks like a mix of the '92 frame with the '93 motor and body paint color we have in the US.

That 800gs will keep ya smiling... although you'll have to go through emulsion tube replacement withdrawal...

Enjoy, Rich
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #2572
sgtunix
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Nice looking TDM, sgtunix. Looks like a mix of the '92 frame with the '93 motor and body paint color we have in the US.

That 800gs will keep ya smiling... although you'll have to go through emulsion tube replacement withdrawal...

Enjoy, Rich
I'll keep my old TDM emulsion tubes with me, as a good luck charm :
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #2573
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtunix View Post
I'll keep my old TDM emulsion tubes with me, as a good luck charm :
Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #2574
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtunix View Post
Unfortunately the day has come.. I've sold my TDM 850. I really enjoyed owning it, as it's a friggin' awesome bike to ride. I've moved further towards the dual purpose/enduro side of things and bought myself a 2010 BMW F800GS.

(You may also remember that I had custom made crash bars but I sold those separate in case the buyer didn't want them).

Keep well TDM peeps! I'll be checking in on this thread once in a while, but it looks like I'm going to be focused on BMW for a while - at least for my dual purpose needs.
If you don't mind me asking, How much did you sell it for?
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #2575
sgtunix
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, How much did you sell it for?
About the equivalent of $3100 USD. But keep in mind that bikes are always cheaper in the US. If you are able to buy a new CBR1000RR for $10000, then it's going to cost $19000 for the rest of us. Some countries in Europe are even worse than that, with a 250% import tax (Denmark, etc). So what I'm trying to say that even bike prices for 20 year old bikes will be affected by this down the line.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #2576
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,711
My bike is listed in the Flea Market if anyone is interested.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #2577
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Another one

Bought mine yesterday, 2001 model, 35000km. Very happy with it so far

Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #2578
Trotski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
looks good,
what is the Tyre on the front

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #2579
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
It's a Michellin Sirac. Think it might be a rear?

A couple of general Qs to the TDM community:
- muffler has been "derestricted". Sounds good, has a bit of character but not too loud. Crackles a bit on decelleration. I noticed it doesn't seem to adjust revs too well at idle when cold. My last bike bike was a BMW650 which was one press to start every time. Could the muffler mods be effecting the EFI?
- there is a little red light on the RHS fairing next to the dash. Doesn't work. Looks like an immobiliser that has been disconnected. Is that standard?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #2580
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
It's a Michellin Sirac. Think it might be a rear?

A couple of general Qs to the TDM community:
- muffler has been "derestricted". Sounds good, has a bit of character but not too loud. Crackles a bit on decelleration. I noticed it doesn't seem to adjust revs too well at idle when cold. My last bike bike was a BMW650 which was one press to start every time. Could the muffler mods be effecting the EFI?
- there is a little red light on the RHS fairing next to the dash. Doesn't work. Looks like an immobiliser that has been disconnected. Is that standard?
I believe the idle speed to be 1750 rpm when on choke so depending on where yours is at it may explain it?

No lights in my fairing (apart from the ones I've added)

Mine starts first time and idles smoothly but I have the standard silencers "unfettered" .....I like quiet :)
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote