ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #31
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser
 
GR8ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Northwet
Oddometer: 823
FYI can not buy medjet in Washington State. Some insurance thing. I wonder what other states are in this boat.
__________________
Whatever/Whenever, Father/son to AK
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603878

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
benh
lookin 4 a way outta town
 
benh's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 262
Kind of a bummer but it appears the motorcycle facet of the Medjet only covers travel in Mexico, ConUS, Canada, and AK. What about those of us going further south? SOL?
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent...


benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #33
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SoOrange NJ USA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
Kind of a bummer but it appears the motorcycle facet of the Medjet only covers travel in Mexico, ConUS, Canada, and AK. What about those of us going further south? SOL?
By "the motorcycle facet" you mean shipping/ transportation of your bike home after an accident ?
Well, yes, then going further south or anywhere else in the world, SOL.
You really expect any such plan to pay for homeward freight for your bike from anywhere outside North America, after they've brought you safely home to a local hospital? MedJetAssist is a medical repatriation service.

That may be a bummer, but I'd be interested if you could find a medical repatriation service that will also pay to transport your bike home for an annual membership fee of ~$200.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #34
benh
lookin 4 a way outta town
 
benh's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtFisher View Post
By "the motorcycle facet" you mean shipping/ transportation of your bike home after an accident ?
Well, yes, then going further south or anywhere else in the world, SOL.
You really expect any such plan to pay for homeward freight for your bike from anywhere outside North America, after they've brought you safely home to a local hospital? MedJetAssist is a medical repatriation service.

That may be a bummer, but I'd be interested if you could find a medical repatriation service that will also pay to transport your bike home for an annual membership fee of ~$200.
I wasn't bitching about the price. I'd willing pay more for such a service, it can't be that far out of the realm of possibility considering the area they already cover. I'd be willing to bet that a broken motorcycle is easier to transport than a broken human being, at least logistically.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent...


benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SoOrange NJ USA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
I wasn't bitching about the price. I'd willing pay more for such a service, it can't be that far out of the realm of possibility considering the area they already cover. I'd be willing to bet that a broken motorcycle is easier to transport than a broken human being, at least logistically.
Perhaps. MedJetAssist's worldwide medical repatriation to North Amer relies on an established network of specialized medical aircraft and commercial airlines. The area MedJetAssist already covers for bike recovery is accessible mostly by overland commercial trucking services. Anywhere outside that area, from SoAmer to the nether regions of Asia, requires bike transport by air or seafreight back to North Amer. The physical logistics of bike transport may be easier than broken human beings, but the "network" logistics are far more complex, and very different from human medical transport.
If you know enough to bet otherwise, why not suggest and justify it directly to MedJetAssist--maybe you could convince them to offer an expanded service.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #36
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur
 
Hollyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Ancaster, ON
Oddometer: 682
Medjet brought my bike back from VA after I broke some ribs there. I wasn't hospitalized so had to find my own way home. They used Allied Van Lines. Allied has a sheet where they mark all the dents and scratches before they load up. Must have taken them a couple of hours. I was riding a 40 year old bike with 40 years worth of dents and scratches, plus a few new ones.
__________________
þetta reddast
Hollyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #37
niño
a bad motorscooter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
I think the coverage on the SPOT device would cover the evactuation from a remote site

Quote" Provides up to 100K of additioanl private search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits for any emergency service expenses incurred"

www.spotadventures.com

I believe this only covers Search and Rescue Service and fees, such as if you are injured far from civilization and they need to find you. If you are hurt and there are people around I dont believe it covers transportation to a local hospital.

But, after further research I found this from the same company for incidents that dont require Search and Rescue: http://www.geosalliance.com/medivacplus/index.html

This appears to cover all expenses from the point of accident, to the local hospital, to the medivac to the US hospital of your choice, including medical expenses from locals to stabilize you. Its $121 a year for individual international coverage. This seems superior to Medjet on paper, as medjet does not cover local medical exenses or transport from accident to local hospital. Also, its half as much. Am I correct in this evaluation? Im going to look into this for my first international adventure.

Also this is the company that provides the SOS/911 monitoring for the SPOT beacon basic service, which I will be using anyways, so thats nice.
I hear raves about Medjet, but Ill have to look into this as it seems like a good deal.

On a different note, can anyone recommend US based insurance to use on the backend of one of these medivac services? Im currently uninsured and have never had insurance that wasnt part of my parents plan.
niño is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #38
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb
 
bouldergeek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Palmer Station, Antarctica
Oddometer: 1,074
I actually doubled up when I went to Central America. I already had the MedJet Assist, and added the extra $7 to my SPOT membership when i got it.

Fortunately, never needed any of it. But, after reading Post #1 in this thread, I am definitely going to keep using it when i travel outside of the US.
__________________
Partir loin et découvrir quel air l'humanité respire... voyager... aller toujours plus loin... - Les Nubiennes, "Voyager"
-----------------------------------------------------------

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
NCK
Studly Adventurer
 
NCK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Taxation Without Representation (DC)
Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by niño View Post
I believe this only covers Search and Rescue Service and fees, such as if you are injured far from civilization and they need to find you. If you are hurt and there are people around I dont believe it covers transportation to a local hospital.

But, after further research I found this from the same company for incidents that dont require Search and Rescue: http://www.geosalliance.com/medivacplus/index.html

This appears to cover all expenses from the point of accident, to the local hospital, to the medivac to the US hospital of your choice, including medical expenses from locals to stabilize you. Its $121 a year for individual international coverage. This seems superior to Medjet on paper, as medjet does not cover local medical exenses or transport from accident to local hospital. Also, its half as much. Am I correct in this evaluation? Im going to look into this for my first international adventure.

Also this is the company that provides the SOS/911 monitoring for the SPOT beacon basic service, which I will be using anyways, so thats nice.
I hear raves about Medjet, but Ill have to look into this as it seems like a good deal.

On a different note, can anyone recommend US based insurance to use on the backend of one of these medivac services? Im currently uninsured and have never had insurance that wasnt part of my parents plan.
This is really interesting. Any other opinions? I need to get some insurance and at only a couple hundred bucks a year, I'd like to spend some coin to get comprehensive on my 2 year long RTW trip!
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures
 
BMW Kurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: People's Republic of the United States
Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
I actually doubled up when I went to Central America. I already had the MedJet Assist, and added the extra $7 to my SPOT membership when i got it.

Fortunately, never needed any of it. But, after reading Post #1 in this thread, I am definitely going to keep using it when i travel outside of the US.
I was going to sign up for the SPOT service but found out that you only get the good deal if you sign up at initial registration. Rather than sign up later I told my wife just to have me cremated and sent home via FedEx.
__________________
"We blew it." -- Wyatt in Easy Rider
Kurt Nugent Photography
My Riding Blog
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014