Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #226
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Oh Lordy...hope you don't get a 3 day ban for bad mouthing the chosen brand...

Those guys don't bother me, I have just never understood why so many of them want me to own one. I get it, I understand why many of them feel the way they do, I understand Harley makes a quality product, I understand that some folks will ride them anywhere as well, but they are simply not for me, yet.

When they build one like my Tiger, or the GS I had, or even like the KLR I had, I'll take another look for sure. I test rode an '08 Uly expecting to be swept away from all of the glowing ride reports here, and while it was a nice bike, the ride back home on my GS was even more enjoyable than the ride there. Different strokes and all....
And how is that bad mouthing?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #227
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Have you ridden both, MG and HD?
Oh yes. I like them both. I do not care for feet forward riding any more so the Cali and most of the Harley line-up don't do it for me either. The Stelvio, Griso, V7.. are all bikes I would own.

IMO the MG is the best sounding Motorcycle engine ever!

I just found your post to be quite ironic.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #228
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I would love a V7 classic, and the motor company makes nothing new I am interested in.
An air cooled 750cc V twin at 400 pounds with a sporty/standard riding position and room for 2 people.
The Guzzi has a shaft drive and still comes in at 400 pounds, why does the 883 have to weigh 150 pounds more?
The Guzzi has a low seat height, but can still lean in turns, how do they do it?
The reason I don't have a Guzzi (besides being broke) is its fast enough to get me plenty of tickets.
My guess would be, in a drag, or in the twistys, it would take any new 883 sportster.
room for two people? I sat on one of these things not long ago and I was surprised at how small it is. I don't think to normal red blooded flesh eating American biker peoples would find it very comfortable....

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #229
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
And how is that bad mouthing?
Hang around a while and maybe one of them will explain it to you better than someone that basically agrees with you can...

At the end of the day one man's boring, heavy, slow, and over priced motorcycle is another's dream bike.

That being said, my cruiser is boring, slow, and heavy compared to my Tiger, but my Tiger isn't a cruiser either.

What motorcycle/s do you own now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #230
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,375
[QUOTE=2tallnwide;18141192]I'm 7000 miles away from my bikes working right now....

Pours out a little 93 octane for his homies.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #231
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Hang around a while and maybe one of them will explain it to you better than someone that basically agrees with you can...

At the end of the day one man's boring, heavy, slow, and over priced motorcycle is another's dream bike.

That being said, my cruiser is boring, slow, and heavy compared to my Tiger, but my Tiger isn't a cruiser either.

What motorcycle/s do you own now?
I've owned everything from HD to Honda. Right now I'm on the hunt for a Moto Guzzi (80's) OR, if I could find one, a late 50's Royal Enfield Indian just for the weird factor. Wouldn't mind a Ducati 500 parallel twin either just cuz I like a challenge.
I'm not into cruisers myself. Too big, too heavy with limted cornering. That being said, for some odd reason, I find myself looking at used Kawi Drifter ads these days. Weird. I know if I did buy one, it would cool for about a week then I'd hate it.
Got to get my Suzi GT380 going one of these days too.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #232
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Pours out a little 93 octane for his homies.
It's alright, the 5 weeks off at a time, and pay, makes it worthwhile...

Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #233
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've owned everything from HD to Honda.

Got to get my Suzi GT380 going one of these days too.
I had been without a bike for over a year, wasn't even looking for a cruiser...but...the KLR I was looking at sold before I could get back to the States, and I found the LC on Craigslist close to me for the right price. I knew it fit me, I knew my wife would be comfy on back, and most importantly I could afford to pay cash for it...

I found the Tiger after a couple of older GS's sold before I could get home this last trip. I'm glad they did now because a 955i Tiger has been on my would like to own one day list for quite some time now. It really is a great bike as well, so the cruiser gets sold when I get home this time.

Have never owned a Harley, but have come close to buying one a couple of times. Maybe one day, have had one of them on that list for a long time too.

I rode my cousin's GT380 many many moons ago, cool little bike for sure...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #234
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
I sat on one, did not ride it, and it felt better then the sportster.
The seat looks good for 2 people, felt well padded and the bike has hand holds for the passenger.

It might be small for 2 people after a few hours, but my little TU250 is great 2 up, and its even smaller.
Bar/seat/peg location seems more important then overall bike size.
The low seat and high forward pegs (but mid pegs) on the sportster is what made it so uncomfortable for us.
At 6 foot, I have done many all day rides on the little TU in comfort, and its stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
room for two people? I sat on one of these things not long ago and I was surprised at how small it is. I don't think to normal red blooded flesh eating American biker peoples would find it very comfortable....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #235
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I'm 178, 6' and have always found HDs cramped for two. Can't imagine what a big fat fucking carnivore would think.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #236
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I'm 178, 6' and have always found HDs cramped for two. Can't imagine what a big fat fucking carnivore would think.

Have you seen Harley riders before? I've never heard any HD owner say damn I think i'll have to go to brand X because it has more room and is less cramped. You must have been riding the sporty. Try out the HD touring line, it's a rolling Lazy boy chair available with adjustable back rest and foot rests options. What bike do you think has more room than a Harley touring bike(road king, road glide, street glide, electra glide, ultra classic, etc..)? I doubt you'll find more room than a softail or dyna platform with forward controls. This all assumes the bike is equipped with a proper two up seat.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #237
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Yeah, the touring bikes have gobs of space for two. I'm 6 and 200 lbs, and I've taken many passengers for rides on a Road Glide. I hardly know they're back there...unless they're into squeezing

I do see how the slammed sportsters and dynas etc have limited space for two. But the touring bikes? I'm more comfortable sitting on mine with highway pegs and back rest than I am in my cars, even with a passenger. I can stretch out more. I wish my chairs at home were as comfortable.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #238
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$ View Post
Have you seen Harley riders before? I've never heard any HD owner say damn I think i'll have to go to brand X because it has more room and is less cramped. You must have been riding the sporty. Try out the HD touring line, it's a rolling Lazy boy chair available with adjustable back rest and foot rests options. What bike do you think has more room than a Harley touring bike(road king, road glide, street glide, electra glide, ultra classic, etc..)? I doubt you'll find more room than a softail or dyna platform with forward controls. This all assumes the bike is equipped with a proper two up seat.
As a matter of fact, I was that HD rider. I've had several Harleys and even my E-Glide felt cramped. My K1200R has a far better seat and seating position. And yes, I can change the seat on any bike to make it "better" and on a few of my HDs I had to. All I can tell you is: the bike looks and handles "big", but feels cramped (even solo). For two-up both my K1200R and my E-Glide benefited from an after market seat. But for solo riding, the K1200R is far more comfortable and "spacious". BTW, I have heard this complaint from other HD riders I know. Maybe it's my long inseam?

As a side note, I also think HD needs better luggage. Again, my K1200R holds more than my E-Glide could... and I'm not dragging a trailer.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #239
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What bike do you think has more room than a Harley touring bike(road king, road glide, street glide, electra glide, ultra classic, etc..)? I doubt you'll find more room than a softail or dyna platform with forward controls. This all assumes the bike is equipped with a proper two up seat.
You ever ridden a Victory Vision, Cross Country/Road, Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe, Suzuki C109/90? They all have more room than the little Harley touring bikes.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #240
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Have you seen Harley riders before? I've never heard any HD owner say damn I think i'll have to go to brand X because it has more room and is less cramped.
I sell them and I hear it every week.

Quote:
I doubt you'll find more room than a softail or dyna platform with forward controls.
FXDF's and FXDWG's can both be made quite comfortable.

Quote:
You ever ridden a Victory Vision, Cross Country/Road, Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe, Suzuki C109/90? They all have more room than the little Harley touring bikes.
Yes. I have ridden them all. This IS a true statement.

Harley Davidson's are not the most comfortable bikes for the Big & Tall Crowd.

At 6'5" I can still make a Road Glide pretty darn comfortable though.

Also, I don't have to close my eyes as I walk up to it because it is unsightly or hideous...

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 12:14 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote