Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #961
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Looks like Im getting a silver 2004 Ninja 250.

I'm kind of excited..is that wierd?

I've already owned:
-07 GSXR 600
-99 TL1000R
-06 Ninja 650R
-06 KLX250R
Can I be real nosy and ask the price, miles and overall condition please? Reason I am asking is that here in Phoenix, the 250's are pretty pricy compared to what otherts claim to be paying for them.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #962
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
Can I be real nosy and ask the price, miles and overall condition please? Reason I am asking is that here in Phoenix, the 250's are pretty pricy compared to what otherts claim to be paying for them.
You weren't asking me but I'll put in my 2 cents....last year a bought an '06, 3200 miles, decent but not great shape (carbs needed work, needed tires, and turn signal rubber was dry rotted) $1,500.

I bought it for my daughter but i ride is often also, its a fun little bike.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #963
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
I wouldn't have much fun on the ninjette...at least not after 20 minutes. I used to own the ex500 and even at 5'11" found the bike to be too small and uncomfortable.
So, why even be in this thread (specifically about ninja 250's) if you aren't one that thinks you'll have fun on a small 250? It even appears that you've never even owned a Ninja 250 since you only specifically mention the 500.

Lots of people in this thread have owned and still own 250's and enjoy them. I'm 6'4"/240lbs and have owned several 250's over the years. Yes the 250 is a small bike, but its also a blast to play on and overall not that bad comfort wise. For a fun cheap play bike, they are hard to beat.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #964
facetjoint
TONKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
You weren't asking me but I'll put in my 2 cents....last year a bought an '06, 3200 miles, decent but not great shape (carbs needed work, needed tires, and turn signal rubber was dry rotted) $1,500.

I bought it for my daughter but i ride is often also, its a fun little bike.
That's not bad. Not to be a smart mouth here but. All the Kawasaki rubber is pretty much dry rotted from the moment they take it out of the box to put them together. My 1995 Voyager was as was the same with my 2007 KLR. The KLR was real bad. With in weeks most of it want South. So this is something I'd pretty much expect. Especially so in a desert enviro.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #965
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So, why even be in this thread (specifically about ninja 250's) if you aren't one that thinks you'll have fun on a small 250? It even appears that you've never even owned a Ninja 250 since you only specifically mention the 500.

Lots of people in this thread have owned and still own 250's and enjoy them. I'm 6'4"/240lbs and have owned several 250's over the years. Yes the 250 is a small bike, but its also a blast to play on and overall not that bad comfort wise. For a fun cheap play bike, they are hard to beat.
Sorry, I mistook these forums for a place where people discuss things and offer their opinions. I actually never argued against the merits of a ninja 250. And I never claimed to ever own one. I was simply offering another (imo better) option.

Yes, the ninja is cheaper, but what if money (or that much money) isn't an issue to him? Would you still suggest he buys a cheaper bike or a better bike?
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #966
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
A 2006 KLX250S.

He is putting new tires on it and adding some spares into the deal.

More importantly I have a bike that is FAR more useful to me.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #967
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Yes, the ninja is cheaper, but what if money (or that much money) isn't an issue to him? Would you still suggest he buys a cheaper bike or a better bike?
Better is subjective, though.

The Ninjette is my 10th motorcycle and is arguably one of the best ones I've owned. If I were to list the top bikes I've owned in the categories of fun, reliability, ease of riding, fit with my riding style, ergonomics, gas mileage...the Ninjette would be in the top 3 for each one.

Obviously if one's sole criteria for a good motorcycle is, say, Iron Butt rallies or motocross racing, the Ninjette should probably not be the first choice. ;) But I'd be hard pressed to say you could find a better bike in its class.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #968
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Better is subjective, though.
Yep.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #969
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,557
Quote:
Sorry, I mistook these forums for a place where people discuss things and offer their opinions. I actually never argued against the merits of a ninja 250. And I never claimed to ever own one. I was simply offering another (imo better) option.

Well, not the only thing that you've mistaken.
If you have never owned a Ninja 250, (or never ridden one for a fair amount) how can you provide a valid opinion how it compares to any other moto?

I've never owned a Mercedes, but my opinion is that a BMW is better?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #970
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
But I'd be hard pressed to say you could find a better bike in its class.
Blue, I've owned a 94 Ninjette, and now a CBR250R. The Ninjette is a great bike, but for me, the CBR just does everything better and gets better mileage doing it. The class has a new king!

Seriously though, the deal breaker for me with the Ninjette was the seat, buttockal comfort is all but non-existant and the seat to peg distance gives you no relief at all. Any ride more than 45 minutes on the Ninjette and I was looking for a hospital.

I still recommend the Ninjette to first time riders. It's cheap and plentiful and an all around great bike. But to purchase a new bike in the class. CBR hands down.
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #971
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
I wouldn't have much fun on the ninjette...at least not after 20 minutes. I used to own the ex500 and even at 5'11" found the bike to be too small and uncomfortable.
I've read on the ninja250.org forums that the ex500 actually has tighter ergos than the ex250. Doubt it's a huge difference but there is a difference.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #972
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,645
We just brought home a 2008 Ninja 250 on Saturday, like new with 1200 miles. I've been having a ball on it as has Mrs Shady. I'm 6' tall and while the bike's a bit small, is still pretty comfortable. It has bar risers which help. Val fits perfectly on it and has no problem running the tach right up where it belongs.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #973
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Blue, I've owned a 94 Ninjette, and now a CBR250R. The Ninjette is a great bike, but for me, the CBR just does everything better and gets better mileage doing it. The class has a new king!
The CBRs really are nice looking, I'll give them that! I've never ridden one but I sat on one at the bike show and the ergos aren't as good for me as the Ninjette. That said, I'm a hobbit and need the weirdest ergos ever, so that's not necessarily a selling point for anyone else!

I do wish the Ninjettes came with the FI option of the CBR.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #974
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan325ic View Post
I've read on the ninja250.org forums that the ex500 actually has tighter ergos than the ex250. Doubt it's a huge difference but there is a difference.
I have both the 250 and 500. The seat to handlebar relationship feels the same to me but the 500 feels like the footpegs are quite a bit further forward and up some from the 250. For me even at 6'0" the 250 is the more comfortable of the two.

Put a set of rearsets on the 500 and they would be identical I would think.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #975
facetjoint
TONKA

I'm thinking I read somewhere that somebody makes foot peg extensions that lower them to give more leg room and different riding positions as well.